Upgrade won't work...

ScottyM

Upgrade won't work...
Recently, I've noticed a serious slowdown on my PC, in that it takes minutes
for start-up and shut-down. I figured that I'd try to re-install Vista (Home
Premium) using the "upgrade" selection...wrong answer! It goes through the
motions, and at the very end, I get a message that states that "Windows was
unable to upgrade, and that your originail windows configuration was
restored."

On top of that, I was given a copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade, and I get the
same thing...it goes through all of the motions, and I get the same message,
in that I can't upgrade...what gives? All help is greatly appreciated!
Generator

Re: Upgrade won't work...

i have heard alot about this even on youtube..alot of users were
upgrading from win xp to win home prem..and like your stating it says it
cant upgrade ,,even if you do a win capabilty test to make sure your pc
is ok for vista..to be honest this was like the win 98 upgrade to win xp
years ago..it never worked right..its like a dirty install..i do no the
home prem upgrade you can do a full clean install,,there is a way to do
but i dont no how..check out youtube about upgrading to vista and see
some vids of users saaying it dont work..you best bet is to create a
partion and install win vista on that ..i did it on 2 hard drives as i
use both xp pro and vista ultimate so i can just dual boot into what on
i want to use..when vista release the sp1 and all apss and drivers work
well i most probably remove xp pro and run vista and keep the 2nd drive
for a back of of apps..but in the mean time i will dual boot until vista
gets sorted.

--
Generator
ScottyM

Re: Upgrade won't work...
Thanks Generator! Do you suggest that I want for the Vista's SP1?

"Generator" wrote:

> i have heard alot about this even on youtube..alot of users were
> upgrading from win xp to win home prem..and like your stating it says it
> cant upgrade ,,even if you do a win capabilty test to make sure your pc
> is ok for vista..to be honest this was like the win 98 upgrade to win xp
> years ago..it never worked right..its like a dirty install..i do no the
> home prem upgrade you can do a full clean install,,there is a way to do
> but i dont no how..check out youtube about upgrading to vista and see
> some vids of users saaying it dont work..you best bet is to create a
> partion and install win vista on that ..i did it on 2 hard drives as i
> use both xp pro and vista ultimate so i can just dual boot into what on
> i want to use..when vista release the sp1 and all apss and drivers work
> well i most probably remove xp pro and run vista and keep the 2nd drive
> for a back of of apps..but in the mean time i will dual boot until vista
> gets sorted.
>

> --
> Generator

peter

Re: Upgrade won't work...
try this
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
peter
"ScottyM" <ScottyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Generator! Do you suggest that I want for the Vista's SP1?
>
> "Generator" wrote:
>

>> i have heard alot about this even on youtube..alot of users were
>> upgrading from win xp to win home prem..and like your stating it says it
>> cant upgrade ,,even if you do a win capabilty test to make sure your pc
>> is ok for vista..to be honest this was like the win 98 upgrade to win xp
>> years ago..it never worked right..its like a dirty install..i do no the
>> home prem upgrade you can do a full clean install,,there is a way to do
>> but i dont no how..check out youtube about upgrading to vista and see
>> some vids of users saaying it dont work..you best bet is to create a
>> partion and install win vista on that ..i did it on 2 hard drives as i
>> use both xp pro and vista ultimate so i can just dual boot into what on
>> i want to use..when vista release the sp1 and all apss and drivers work
>> well i most probably remove xp pro and run vista and keep the 2nd drive
>> for a back of of apps..but in the mean time i will dual boot until vista
>> gets sorted.
>>

>> --
>> Generator

Generator

Re: Upgrade won't work...

--
Generator
Scotty

Re: Upgrade won't work...
Generator, I need to elaborate...I already have Vista Home Premium installed
(Dell OEM...I have the disk). What I wanted to do is to wipe out everything
and start from scratch. I tried the "Update" option, it goes through the
motions, but in the end, gets restored to the original configurations
(something is prohibiting it from going all the way). Sorry for any miscomms.

"Generator" wrote:

> ScottyM;378388 Wrote:
> > Thanks Generator! Do you suggest that I want for the Vista's SP1?
> >

> > sp1 wont help you in upgrading to vista. also i cant see it being out
> > for another 6 months or more .i would do a google on upgrading
> > vista..but my advice would be to keep win xp on and either create a
> > partition and install vista on that..its really up to you.. as i said
> > you can fool vista upgrade into doing a full install,,again you need to
> > read up on it on how to do that. unless any user on here can help you on
> > how to upgrade..i just would not do it..its like a dirty install..it
> > just would not work right.

> --
> Generator

John Barnes

Re: Upgrade won't work...
If your intention is to start from scratch, you should use the restore disk
or partition or use the custom install option if an OEM Vista DVD

"Scotty" <Scotty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Generator, I need to elaborate...I already have Vista Home Premium
> installed
> (Dell OEM...I have the disk). What I wanted to do is to wipe out
> everything
> and start from scratch. I tried the "Update" option, it goes through the
> motions, but in the end, gets restored to the original configurations
> (something is prohibiting it from going all the way). Sorry for any
> miscomms.
>
> "Generator" wrote:
>

>> ScottyM;378388 Wrote:
>> > Thanks Generator! Do you suggest that I want for the Vista's SP1?
>> >

>> > sp1 wont help you in upgrading to vista. also i cant see it being out
>> > for another 6 months or more .i would do a google on upgrading
>> > vista..but my advice would be to keep win xp on and either create a
>> > partition and install vista on that..its really up to you.. as i said
>> > you can fool vista upgrade into doing a full install,,again you need to
>> > read up on it on how to do that. unless any user on here can help you
>> > on
>> > how to upgrade..i just would not do it..its like a dirty install..it
>> > just would not work right.

>> --
>> Generator

Dave B.

Re: Upgrade won't work...
Generally, when using a restore disk, you must boot the PC from it. reboot
the PC with the disk in the drive, and go in to BIOS setup (usually F2 on a
Dell) and make sure the DVD is first in the boot order.

--
----
"Scotty" <Scotty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Generator, I need to elaborate...I already have Vista Home Premium
> installed
> (Dell OEM...I have the disk). What I wanted to do is to wipe out
> everything
> and start from scratch. I tried the "Update" option, it goes through the
> motions, but in the end, gets restored to the original configurations
> (something is prohibiting it from going all the way). Sorry for any
> miscomms.

Tom Scales

Re: Upgrade won't work...
That's not correct.

For one, F2 on a Dell is to get into the BIOS.

Restore is Ctrl+F11 and I am assuming that is what he is doing, since
that is the ONLY way to do a restore on a Dell. Personally, I'd just do
that and uninstall what you don't want.

However, if you do want a clean install, first download every driver you
need from the Dell support site and burn them to a CD or put them on a
USB key.

Then boot the machine with the XP DVD that was provided with the
machine. It is NOT a restore DVD. It is a vanilla Vista DVD. Go
through a normal Vista install using the key that is attached to the PC
case.

You will then need to reinstall all your applications. It is possible
that you did not receive a CD/DVD for everything that was preinstalled,
so for those applications, they will be lost forever.

If you need more help, I'd suggest the Dell newsgroup.

Tom

Dave B.

Re: Upgrade won't work...
Did I not say to use F2 to go into BIOS setup and check the boot order? The
OP said he has a recovery CD, Ctrl+F11 is for the onboard recovery if
present, it's not used to boot from recovery media, at least that is how it
is on the Dell's I've dealt with. And what does XP have to do with anything,
the machine shipped with Vista.

--
----