Easy Transfer Problem

mgb

Easy Transfer Problem
Having transferred all programs from my old XP laptop to a new Vista32, I
find I now have 2 administrator accounts. Some of the programs and documents
are now owned by one a/c and others by the second! I am having to swap
between the user accounts constantly. Can I merge them without losing
documents/emails etc? Or am I looking at a complete re-install and starting
again?

Also installing Norton is a no-no. Not vista compatible but try running in
XP mode it installs half way and sits there. Have left it installing
overnight (12hrs) before ending the instal. Any suggetsions would be
appreciated.

--
mgb
Rick Rogers

Re: Easy Transfer Problem
Hi,

Programs that did not migrate properly need to be reinstalled under the user
profile from the original media. Older programs that are not Vista-compliant
are not 'aware' of the new user environment structure and do not install for
any user other than the currently logged on one, so need to be reinstalled
under each.

Do not install any version of any antivirus software that is not 100%
certified for use in Vista. Running them in compatibility mode is
ineffective in protecting your system. Remove what you have of the Symantec
software and get thier latest version if that is your preferred program for
protection (personally, I do not and would not use Norton's, there are
better and cheaper products available).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mgb" <mgb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having transferred all programs from my old XP laptop to a new Vista32, I
> find I now have 2 administrator accounts. Some of the programs and
> documents
> are now owned by one a/c and others by the second! I am having to swap
> between the user accounts constantly. Can I merge them without losing
> documents/emails etc? Or am I looking at a complete re-install and
> starting
> again?
>
> Also installing Norton is a no-no. Not vista compatible but try running in
> XP mode it installs half way and sits there. Have left it installing
> overnight (12hrs) before ending the instal. Any suggetsions would be
> appreciated.
>
> --
> mgb

mgb

Re: Easy Transfer Problem
Many thanks for your advice. I did you what suggested and reinstalled etc and
now all is working fine.

Btw -what alternative to Norton would you suggest?

Regards
--
mgb

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Programs that did not migrate properly need to be reinstalled under the user
> profile from the original media. Older programs that are not Vista-compliant
> are not 'aware' of the new user environment structure and do not install for
> any user other than the currently logged on one, so need to be reinstalled
> under each.
>
> Do not install any version of any antivirus software that is not 100%
> certified for use in Vista. Running them in compatibility mode is
> ineffective in protecting your system. Remove what you have of the Symantec
> software and get thier latest version if that is your preferred program for
> protection (personally, I do not and would not use Norton's, there are
> better and cheaper products available).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "mgb" <mgb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Having transferred all programs from my old XP laptop to a new Vista32, I
> > find I now have 2 administrator accounts. Some of the programs and
> > documents
> > are now owned by one a/c and others by the second! I am having to swap
> > between the user accounts constantly. Can I merge them without losing
> > documents/emails etc? Or am I looking at a complete re-install and
> > starting
> > again?
> >
> > Also installing Norton is a no-no. Not vista compatible but try running in
> > XP mode it installs half way and sits there. Have left it installing
> > overnight (12hrs) before ending the instal. Any suggetsions would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > mgb

Rick Rogers