Paging file

Alan T

Paging file
I think I read this before in this NG about setting the paging file on
partition other than that Vista is installed.
Or that is not paging file? Other file?

John Inzer

Re: Paging file
Alan T wrote:
> I think I read this before in this NG about setting the paging file on
> partition other than that Vista is installed.
> Or that is not paging file? Other file?

=================================
Maybe the following article will be worth a look:

Windows Vista
Using a partition for your swap file
http://www.windvis.com/using-a-parti...your-swap-file

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Alan T

Re: Paging file
Hi,

According to the article, it seems I need to create a new partition for the
SWAP file, that means just create a partition D: for example if Vista is on
C:, with size of 5.5 GB (I have 2 GB RAM) .

As a result the partition D has only 5.5 GB in size and point the SWAP file
to partition D?

> Maybe the following article will be worth a look:
>
> Windows Vista
> Using a partition for your swap file
> http://www.windvis.com/using-a-parti...your-swap-file

Richard G. Harper

Re: Paging file
When in doubt, let Windows manage the pagefile and virtual memory.

"Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I think I read this before in this NG about setting the paging file on
> partition other than that Vista is installed.
> Or that is not paging file? Other file?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Paging file
The page file should either reside in the same partition as the operating
system OR in a partition on another physical drive if installed..

Do NOT create a partition on the same drive as the OS and move the page file
to it..

Also, for a machine used for general use, let Windows manage it.. the only
scenario where fixing the size of the page file is warranted is when the
computer is essentially performing a single task, and where drive space and
performance are absolutely critical.

"Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I think I read this before in this NG about setting the paging file on
> partition other than that Vista is installed.
> Or that is not paging file? Other file?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Alan T

Re: Paging file
I just wonder as the article
http://www.windvis.com/using-a-parti...your-swap-file

says to create new partition of the page file size.

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> The page file should either reside in the same partition as the operating
> system OR in a partition on another physical drive if installed..
>
> Do NOT create a partition on the same drive as the OS and move the page

file
> to it..
>
> Also, for a machine used for general use, let Windows manage it.. the only
> scenario where fixing the size of the page file is warranted is when the
> computer is essentially performing a single task, and where drive space

and
> performance are absolutely critical.
>

> "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >I think I read this before in this NG about setting the paging file on
> > partition other than that Vista is installed.
> > Or that is not paging file? Other file?
> >

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Paging file
And if you fill a partition with the page file, you will get a low disk
space warning..

Re the article, that is the authors opinion to which he/she is entitled..
personally, I do not agree with it.. you will have to go with whichever
solution appears most plausible, and reap the rewards, be they good, bad or
indifferent..

>I just wonder as the article
> http://www.windvis.com/using-a-parti...your-swap-file
>
> says to create new partition of the page file size.
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> The page file should either reside in the same partition as the operating
>> system OR in a partition on another physical drive if installed..
>>
>> Do NOT create a partition on the same drive as the OS and move the page

> file
>> to it..
>>
>> Also, for a machine used for general use, let Windows manage it.. the
>> only
>> scenario where fixing the size of the page file is warranted is when the
>> computer is essentially performing a single task, and where drive space

> and
>> performance are absolutely critical.
>>

>> "Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> >I think I read this before in this NG about setting the paging file on
>> > partition other than that Vista is installed.
>> > Or that is not paging file? Other file?
>> >

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Alan T

Re: Paging file
If I have 1 GB RAM, what should be the minimum of the page file size to set
to?

...winston

Re: Paging file
Windows would choose 1.5X that amount.
...winston

"Alan T" <alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:%23yo$1fCxHHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: If I have 1 GB RAM, what should be the minimum of the page file size to set
: to?
:
:
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Paging file
If you let Windows manage it, you can get on with being productive instead
of worrying about imperceptible performance gains..