Dual boot and license

Arne

Dual boot and license
SAS 9.13 is not compatible with Vista and SAS 9.20, which is compatible with
Ultimate, is due for release in 2008.

I have the Dell installation CD for XP media center 2005 and an academic
update to Vista and academic Office Pro 2007.

Can I install XP and upgrade to Vista on one partition and then install XP
and SAS in another boot partition? And, can Office Pro 2007 be installed in
both primary partitions? Office Pro has Access, which I am guessing is
necessary to use the import functions in SAS.

It is still one user on one computer. But, will it be possible to activate
both OS?

Arne

Rick Rogers

Re: Dual boot and license
Hi,

Under the EULA, an upgrade version uses up the license of the upgraded
operating system. Once you upgrade it, that license is no longer valid for
XP as it has become part of the Vista license.

Now the simple fact is that technically what you propose should work,
however their may be a better way. If your Vista is Business, Ultimate, or
Enterprise, install Virtual PC into it, and then XP into a virtual machine.
You can then run SAS under it and other applications under Vista without
having to deal with the hassle of a dual boot.

Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SAS 9.13 is not compatible with Vista and SAS 9.20, which is compatible
> with
> Ultimate, is due for release in 2008.
>
> I have the Dell installation CD for XP media center 2005 and an academic
> update to Vista and academic Office Pro 2007.
>
> Can I install XP and upgrade to Vista on one partition and then install XP
> and SAS in another boot partition? And, can Office Pro 2007 be installed
> in
> both primary partitions? Office Pro has Access, which I am guessing is
> necessary to use the import functions in SAS.
>
> It is still one user on one computer. But, will it be possible to activate
> both OS?
>
> Arne

Arne

Re: Dual boot and license
Yes. That seems to be a real solution.

Arne

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Under the EULA, an upgrade version uses up the license of the upgraded
> operating system. Once you upgrade it, that license is no longer valid for
> XP as it has become part of the Vista license.
>
> Now the simple fact is that technically what you propose should work,
> however their may be a better way. If your Vista is Business, Ultimate, or
> Enterprise, install Virtual PC into it, and then XP into a virtual machine.
> You can then run SAS under it and other applications under Vista without
> having to deal with the hassle of a dual boot.
>
> Virtual PC:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > SAS 9.13 is not compatible with Vista and SAS 9.20, which is compatible
> > with
> > Ultimate, is due for release in 2008.
> >
> > I have the Dell installation CD for XP media center 2005 and an academic
> > update to Vista and academic Office Pro 2007.
> >
> > Can I install XP and upgrade to Vista on one partition and then install XP
> > and SAS in another boot partition? And, can Office Pro 2007 be installed
> > in
> > both primary partitions? Office Pro has Access, which I am guessing is
> > necessary to use the import functions in SAS.
> >
> > It is still one user on one computer. But, will it be possible to activate
> > both OS?
> >
> > Arne

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Dual boot and license
You cannot use a Dell Windows XP reinstallation CD
with a Virtual PC. It will only install and activate on
a Dell computer only. You would have to purchase
a new "Full Version" of Windows XP to install on a
Virtual PC.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Under the EULA, an upgrade version uses up the license of the upgraded
> operating system. Once you upgrade it, that license is no longer valid for
> XP as it has become part of the Vista license.
>
> Now the simple fact is that technically what you propose should work,
> however their may be a better way. If your Vista is Business, Ultimate, or
> Enterprise, install Virtual PC into it, and then XP into a virtual machine.
> You can then run SAS under it and other applications under Vista without
> having to deal with the hassle of a dual boot.
>
> Virtual PC:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > SAS 9.13 is not compatible with Vista and SAS 9.20, which is compatible
> > with
> > Ultimate, is due for release in 2008.
> >
> > I have the Dell installation CD for XP media center 2005 and an academic
> > update to Vista and academic Office Pro 2007.
> >
> > Can I install XP and upgrade to Vista on one partition and then install XP
> > and SAS in another boot partition? And, can Office Pro 2007 be installed
> > in
> > both primary partitions? Office Pro has Access, which I am guessing is
> > necessary to use the import functions in SAS.
> >
> > It is still one user on one computer. But, will it be possible to activate
> > both OS?
> >
> > Arne

Arne

Re: Dual boot and license

Carey,

I have an academic upgrade to Vista Home Premium and anytime upgrade to
Vista Ultimate.

Are you saying that from Vista Ultimate, to use a Virtual PC then XP has to
be installed as an OS again? I have not had a moment to read about the
Virtual PC.

Arne

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You cannot use a Dell Windows XP reinstallation CD
> with a Virtual PC. It will only install and activate on
> a Dell computer only. You would have to purchase
> a new "Full Version" of Windows XP to install on a
> Virtual PC.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>

> "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AFB125F-B738-4171-9C89-71EB507B7C3E@microsoft.com...
> Yes. That seems to be a real solution.
>
> Arne
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Under the EULA, an upgrade version uses up the license of the upgraded
> > operating system. Once you upgrade it, that license is no longer valid for
> > XP as it has become part of the Vista license.
> >
> > Now the simple fact is that technically what you propose should work,
> > however their may be a better way. If your Vista is Business, Ultimate, or
> > Enterprise, install Virtual PC into it, and then XP into a virtual machine.
> > You can then run SAS under it and other applications under Vista without
> > having to deal with the hassle of a dual boot.
> >
> > Virtual PC:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > SAS 9.13 is not compatible with Vista and SAS 9.20, which is compatible
> > > with
> > > Ultimate, is due for release in 2008.
> > >
> > > I have the Dell installation CD for XP media center 2005 and an academic
> > > update to Vista and academic Office Pro 2007.
> > >
> > > Can I install XP and upgrade to Vista on one partition and then install XP
> > > and SAS in another boot partition? And, can Office Pro 2007 be installed
> > > in
> > > both primary partitions? Office Pro has Access, which I am guessing is
> > > necessary to use the import functions in SAS.
> > >
> > > It is still one user on one computer. But, will it be possible to activate
> > > both OS?
> > >
> > > Arne

Arne

Re: Dual boot and license
Bought XP Pro on Ebay. 1/2 price. Can't use XP Home with SAS.