Device Driver During Install

Jake

Device Driver During Install
While trying to install vista home premium on a machine I am currently
building, I am given a error that device drivers for my LG GSA-H62NK cd/dvd
drive are missing. I have already contacted LG and was told that the drive is
plug and play and that it should be compatible with drivers already loaded.
I've also tried downloading similar drives off the LG site, but vista will
not recognize them off the cd I burned them onto.
Peter Foldes

Re: Device Driver During Install
Jake

Try the fix in the below MS-KB and see if the drives will show and work after

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3B320553

--
Peter

"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D1E3774-6DB8-4D5F-ABAA-D8D5CE5F908D@microsoft.com...
> While trying to install vista home premium on a machine I am currently
> building, I am given a error that device drivers for my LG GSA-H62NK cd/dvd
> drive are missing. I have already contacted LG and was told that the drive is
> plug and play and that it should be compatible with drivers already loaded.
> I've also tried downloading similar drives off the LG site, but vista will
> not recognize them off the cd I burned them onto.

Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Device Driver During Install
If I understand the OP correctly this is during an install - at this
point I would assume no filters have been installed. I know that in my
install the registry wasn't even there <G>. It happened to me right
after I said install and it did a scan and before it was going to copy
files, etc. At that point the system had booted off the CD/DVD drive -
a new Pioneer - and after clicking install it complained about no
drivers. I ended up buying another CD/DVD drive that stated it
supported Vista. Although why, at this point, Vista can't use the basic
interface to the DVD/CD that's been around for all time to get installed
I don't know.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Jake
>
> Try the fix in the below MS-KB and see if the drives will show and work after
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3B320553
>
> --
> Peter

> "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D1E3774-6DB8-4D5F-ABAA-D8D5CE5F908D@microsoft.com...
> > While trying to install vista home premium on a machine I am currently
> > building, I am given a error that device drivers for my LG GSA-H62NK cd/dvd
> > drive are missing. I have already contacted LG and was told that the drive is
> > plug and play and that it should be compatible with drivers already loaded.
> > I've also tried downloading similar drives off the LG site, but vista will
> > not recognize them off the cd I burned them onto.

Thanks for replying so quickly. The solution in the link did not work
because all the situations assume that windows is installed already. I am not
able to get past the very beginning of the install.
Jake

"Brett I. Holcomb" wrote:

> If I understand the OP correctly this is during an install - at this
> point I would assume no filters have been installed. I know that in my
> install the registry wasn't even there <G>. It happened to me right
> after I said install and it did a scan and before it was going to copy
> files, etc. At that point the system had booted off the CD/DVD drive -
> a new Pioneer - and after clicking install it complained about no
> drivers. I ended up buying another CD/DVD drive that stated it
> supported Vista. Although why, at this point, Vista can't use the basic
> interface to the DVD/CD that's been around for all time to get installed
> I don't know.
>

> Peter Foldes wrote:
> > Jake
> >
> > Try the fix in the below MS-KB and see if the drives will show and work after
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3B320553

Wow, I wish I could even get to that point. lol. According to the
description when I bought the drive, as well as the LG support center, it is
Vista compatible. So if I'm understanding right, I probably need to go ahead
and try a different drive?
Jane C

Re: Device Driver During Install
Hello Jake,

Is this a SATA DVD drive? If so, it may be that Windows is looking for the
SATA controller drivers to be provided during install. There is a 'Load
Drivers' button. Any required drivers can be on floppy, USB stick or CD.

What motherboard is it?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While trying to install vista home premium on a machine I am currently
> building, I am given a error that device drivers for my LG GSA-H62NK
> cd/dvd
> drive are missing. I have already contacted LG and was told that the drive
> is
> plug and play and that it should be compatible with drivers already
> loaded.
> I've also tried downloading similar drives off the LG site, but vista will
> not recognize them off the cd I burned them onto.

Jake

Re: Device Driver During Install
The motherboard is a BIOSTAR TForce TF7050-M2 which comes with a 4 port SATA
controller.

"Jane C" wrote:

> Hello Jake,
>
> Is this a SATA DVD drive? If so, it may be that Windows is looking for the
> SATA controller drivers to be provided during install. There is a 'Load
> Drivers' button. Any required drivers can be on floppy, USB stick or CD.
>
> What motherboard is it?
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > While trying to install vista home premium on a machine I am currently
> > building, I am given a error that device drivers for my LG GSA-H62NK
> > cd/dvd
> > drive are missing. I have already contacted LG and was told that the drive
> > is
> > plug and play and that it should be compatible with drivers already
> > loaded.
> > I've also tried downloading similar drives off the LG site, but vista will
> > not recognize them off the cd I burned them onto.

Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Device Driver During Install
Well, I did but... I assume this is an IDE drive - or is it SATA? If
SATA you may need the drivers for the motherboard.

Jake wrote:

> "Brett I. Holcomb" wrote:
>
>> If I understand the OP correctly this is during an install - at this
>> point I would assume no filters have been installed. I know that in my
>> install the registry wasn't even there <G>. It happened to me right
>> after I said install and it did a scan and before it was going to copy
>> files, etc. At that point the system had booted off the CD/DVD drive -
>> a new Pioneer - and after clicking install it complained about no
>> drivers. I ended up buying another CD/DVD drive that stated it
>> supported Vista. Although why, at this point, Vista can't use the basic
>> interface to the DVD/CD that's been around for all time to get installed
>> I don't know.
>>

>> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>> Jake
>>>
>>> Try the fix in the below MS-KB and see if the drives will show and work after
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3B320553
>>>

> Wow, I wish I could even get to that point. lol. According to the
> description when I bought the drive, as well as the LG support center, it is
> Vista compatible. So if I'm understanding right, I probably need to go ahead
> and try a different drive?

Peter Foldes

Re: Device Driver During Install
Is it a new clean install or an Upgrade install ??

--
Peter

"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:115D63DA-317A-458B-8DC8-2D23FBC73E46@microsoft.com...

> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>
>> Jake
>>
>> Try the fix in the below MS-KB and see if the drives will show and work after
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3B320553
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D1E3774-6DB8-4D5F-ABAA-D8D5CE5F908D@microsoft.com...
>> > While trying to install vista home premium on a machine I am currently
>> > building, I am given a error that device drivers for my LG GSA-H62NK cd/dvd
>> > drive are missing. I have already contacted LG and was told that the drive is
>> > plug and play and that it should be compatible with drivers already loaded.
>> > I've also tried downloading similar drives off the LG site, but vista will
>> > not recognize them off the cd I burned them onto.

> Thanks for replying so quickly. The solution in the link did not work
> because all the situations assume that windows is installed already. I am not
> able to get past the very beginning of the install.

Jake

Re: Device Driver During Install

I just wanted to thank you all so much for you excellent info and
suggestions. I finally found the sata controller drives on the nvidia site.
After the fact this was a great learning experience, I will definitely know
what to do the next time this happens. Thanks again

-Jake