External HD and activation?

Pete

External HD and activation?
I have an external HD that I do not always turn on. I basically use it
for backup purposes. How will "activation" handle this?? Should I turn
it on or off during activation? H*ll, I don't want to reactivate every
time I turn it on or off!
-Pete
Dave B.

Re: External HD and activation?
Having the same piece of hardware present and not present at various times
should not have any effect on activation.

--
----
"Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:eZQki.7841$bz7.4382@newssvr22.news.prodigy.ne t...
>I have an external HD that I do not always turn on. I basically use it for
>backup purposes. How will "activation" handle this?? Should I turn it on or
>off during activation? H*ll, I don't want to reactivate every time I turn
>it on or off!
> -Pete

Pete

Dave B. wrote:
> Having the same piece of hardware present and not present at various times
> should not have any effect on activation.

I am not so sure of that. This is a hard disk, and changes in hard disk
configuration can impact the activation "formula." God I hate M$.
Peter in New Zealand

Pete wrote:

> Dave B. wrote:
>> Having the same piece of hardware present and not present at various
>> times should not have any effect on activation.
>>

> I am not so sure of that. This is a hard disk, and changes in hard disk
> configuration can impact the activation "formula." God I hate M$.

Hi Pete. You should be just fine. I have a second internal HDD that was
physically disconnected when I installed Vista as the system was
determined to install onto it instead of the main HDD. After activation
and setting things up the way I wanted I then reconnected the second HDD
for backup purposes, and Vista never complained. So I would imagine you
will have no trouble at all. Hope this helps.

--
Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
R. C. White

Re: External HD and activation?
Hi, Pete.

I've swapped hard drives in and out many times. The only time I've had to
reactivate was when I had to actually reinstall Vista (or WinXP) for some
reason, such as for a new motherboard or creating a new System Partition on
a different HD.

I'm talking about internal hard drives. You should have no problem with
external drives that are not used to boot the system.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:Q%Rki.1736$m%.259@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net. ..

R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Pete.
>
> I've swapped hard drives in and out many times. The only time I've had
> to reactivate was when I had to actually reinstall Vista (or WinXP) for
> some reason, such as for a new motherboard or creating a new System
> Partition on a different HD.
>
> I'm talking about internal hard drives. You should have no problem with
> external drives that are not used to boot the system.
>
> RC

Thanks everyone.
I suppose I'll turn it off during the installation, and on afterward?
Herman Klump

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:19:39 -0400, Pete <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:

>I have an external HD that I do not always turn on. I basically use it
>for backup purposes. How will "activation" handle this?? Should I turn
>it on or off during activation? H*ll, I don't want to reactivate every
>time I turn it on or off!
>-Pete

I have many customers who use external USB hard drives to back up Vista
without a problem. However, I also have three or four other customers
who were forced to reactivate after removing their externals and
plugging them into different USB ports - at least that's the only thing
I could think of that could cause the reactivation request...... Or
maybe it was just Billy Gates lookin' for his two dollars?

I hate M$ too. Vista is the worst computer virus ever to infect our
machines.

Good Luck,
HLK