Reinstall OEM ?

Trond Ruud

Re: Reinstall OEM ?

"FyberOptyx" <spam@bits-n-pieces.co.uk> wrote in message
news:uLNlFUuwHHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> HI,
> After trying to reinstall Vista OEM after a format and then not being able
> to reactivate ( since sorted thanks to Microsoft)
> I am wondering how you go about reinstalling a OEM version after things
> start to crash ?
> From past experience with Windows, I have had to reinstall about once a

year
> when it gets bloated and bogged down.
>
> TIA
>
> Paul

A very good question, Paul!
I guess most veteran Windows users are accustomed to having to reinstall
about once a year, and sometimes oftener. And I have wondered why Microsoft
doesn't automatically register the unique CPU and motherboard serial nos.,
and skip the very cumbersome and time consuming, manual phone validation
process as long as the installation is done on a machine with the same
component serial numbers, as the previous/original installation (other
unique component serial numbers, can of course also be added to make the
check more secure, such as video card and disks)

Any good reasons why this isn't done?
Trond Ruud,
Norway

Trond Ruud

Re: Reinstall OEM ?

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:l7t693pt9h7qigmbgrgigimsoujq0bmkee@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:25:05 +0100, "FyberOptyx"
>
> >From past experience with Windows, I have had to reinstall about once a

year
> >when it gets bloated and bogged down.

> I'd expect better mileage than that. Every Windows installation I've
> had and used since the original Win95, has lasted until the physical
> death of that system without having to be re-installed.
>
> Perhaps it's worth looking at better ways to set up the system?
>

> >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

> Never turn your back on an installer program
> >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

I venture the hypothesis, that you must belong to a lucky few. :-)
In these days of worms, viri, trojans and spyware swarms, you're more than
just lucky to avoid annual reinstallations, I believe. I have invested a
fortune in top rated antivirus, antispyware, defraggers and firewall
software, but have nevertheless regularly ended up with totally unresponsive
systems, that could be restored only through reinstalling, on more occasions
than I care to remember, since Win95. Registry cleaners, sometimes help, but
also seem to screw up the registry and response time, in the long run. The,
"avoid reinstalling" is a very popular sales pitch from the Linux mafia, so
I don't think my experience with regularly having to reinstall Windows is
all that special. Or... (?)
Trond Ruud,
Norway

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Reinstall OEM ?
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:25:05 +0100, "FyberOptyx"

>From past experience with Windows, I have had to reinstall about once a year
>when it gets bloated and bogged down.

I'd expect better mileage than that. Every Windows installation I've
had and used since the original Win95, has lasted until the physical
death of that system without having to be re-installed.

Perhaps it's worth looking at better ways to set up the system?

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

Never turn your back on an installer program

FyberOptyx

Re: Reinstall OEM ?
I am already having Windows Calendar crash on me quite often. Is this a know
problem or would
a fresh install fix it ?
These are the things I am talking about.
I only use windows for gaming usually so I don't have anything important to
keep. A fresh install
of windows is the easiest option for me when things start to go wrong.
Using Windows in an office environment is completely different to using it
at home.
At work, you are usually forbidden to try new software or new toys or try
some tweaks so it is
understandable that an office PC will stay lean and free from garbage. A
home PC will always need
the occasional spring clean.
I know you will probably say buy the retail version then - but I cannot stop
laughing at the asking price
for this.

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:l7t693pt9h7qigmbgrgigimsoujq0bmkee@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:25:05 +0100, "FyberOptyx"
>
>>From past experience with Windows, I have had to reinstall about once a
>>year
>>when it gets bloated and bogged down.

> I'd expect better mileage than that. Every Windows installation I've
> had and used since the original Win95, has lasted until the physical
> death of that system without having to be re-installed.
>
> Perhaps it's worth looking at better ways to set up the system?
>

>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

> Never turn your back on an installer program
>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

Bruce Chambers

Re: Reinstall OEM ?
FyberOptyx wrote:
> HI,
> After trying to reinstall Vista OEM after a format and then not being
> able to reactivate ( since sorted thanks to Microsoft)
> I am wondering how you go about reinstalling a OEM version after things
> start to crash ?
> From past experience with Windows, I have had to reinstall about once a
> year when it gets bloated and bogged down.

I've heard of stranger hobbies, but it's your time.

There is usually no sound technical reason for reinstalling and
re-activating WinXP periodically, except on test machine.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

Re: Reinstall OEM ?
Trond Ruud wrote:
> "FyberOptyx" <spam@bits-n-pieces.co.uk> wrote in message
>> HI,
>> After trying to reinstall Vista OEM after a format and then not being able
>> to reactivate ( since sorted thanks to Microsoft)
>> I am wondering how you go about reinstalling a OEM version after things
>> start to crash ?
>> From past experience with Windows, I have had to reinstall about once a

> year
>> when it gets bloated and bogged down.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Paul
>>

> A very good question, Paul!
> I guess most veteran Windows users are accustomed to having to reinstall
> about once a year, and sometimes oftener.

Actually, no. Many of us have learned to properly maintain our
systems. The only time a re-installation of Windows is truly necessary
is after a catastrophic hard drive failure.

> And I have wondered why Microsoft
> doesn't automatically register the unique CPU and motherboard serial nos.,
> and skip the very cumbersome and time consuming, manual phone validation
> process as long as the installation is done on a machine with the same
> component serial numbers, as the previous/original installation (other
> unique component serial numbers, can of course also be added to make the
> check more secure, such as video card and disks)
>
> Any good reasons why this isn't done?

Because there is usually no sound technical reason for reinstalling
and re-activating WinXP so frequently, Microsoft saw no need to make the
process any more stream-lined than it already is.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Roy Price

Re: Reinstall OEM ?
Correct me, I'm not sure if this goes for Vista, but XP lets you
re-activate, over the internet after 120 days. Any sooner than this requires
a phone call to MS.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Reinstall OEM ?
I will venture more than a guess since I somewhat know him.
He does not depend on luck.
Those that depend on luck for anything, not just technology and
computers, are setting themselves to fail.

Safe computer practices as well as proper use of tools such as anti
virus, anti spyware and firewall go a long way toward eliminating the
need for luck.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:32:51 +0200, "Trond Ruud" wrote:
>cquirke wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:25:05 +0100, "FyberOptyx"

>> >From past experience with Windows, I have had to reinstall about once a
>> >year when it gets bloated and bogged down.

>> I'd expect better mileage than that. Every Windows installation I've
>> had and used since the original Win95, has lasted until the physical
>> death of that system without having to be re-installed.

>> Perhaps it's worth looking at better ways to set up the system?

>I venture the hypothesis, that you must belong to a lucky few. :-)

I don't think so, because other ppl's PCs that I've built have similar
mileage. It's very rare that I've had to "just" re-install Windows,
even on a "repair" basis, let alone a full melt-down.

>In these days of worms, viri, trojans and spyware swarms, you're more than
>just lucky to avoid annual reinstallations, I believe.

One avoids catching such things, and when one suspects them to be
present, one formally cleans them up. The last is not as easy as it
should be, because MS doesn't hand you the tools on a plate; Bart
does, though you have some "assembly" to do.

>I have invested a fortune in top rated antivirus, antispyware, defraggers
>and firewall software, but have nevertheless regularly ended up with
>totally unresponsive systems

Well, something's go wrong there, then. Motherboard chipsets? Lack
of "safe hex"? Do you live in "one big doomed C:", with massive
duhfault-sized IE web cache clogging up the file system?

>Registry cleaners, sometimes help,

More likely they break things you can't fix...

>The "avoid reinstalling" is a very popular sales pitch from the Linux
>mafia, so I don't think my experience with regularly having to reinstall
>Windows is all that special. Or... (?)

I'd consider it very poor mileage (unacceptably poor) if my system's
installation failed to last several years, or could not be saved
through maintenance.

OTOH, you will get purveyors of flaky kit that hide behind "everyone
knows Windows needs to be re-installed once a year" when the stuff
they build out of bottom-scraper components falls on its ass.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope