Ubuntu dual boot

Alan T

Ubuntu dual boot
Any idea how to dual boot with Ubuntu on the same harddisk as Vista?

Jay Somerset

Re: Ubuntu dual boot
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:43:50 +1000, "Alan T"
<alanNOSPAMpltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Any idea how to dual boot with Ubuntu on the same harddisk as Vista?

Yes. Create a separate partition, and then install Ubuntu from the
CD. It will set up the GRUB boot manager to let you boot to either
Ubuntu or Vista.
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
mak

Re: Ubuntu dual boot
I ordered the Ubuntu 7.04 CD in order to run a dual-boot installation
alongside Vista Ultimate. I had Vista installed on my C drive, and wanted to
install Ubuntu on a new 10GB partition (created from the 15GB free space on
my C drive).

I followed the Vista + Ubuntu dual boot installation as shown here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_..._ubuntu_feisty .

I followed the instructions as rigorously as possible, but it seems that
having now completed the installation, my Dell 640m laptop fails to find ANY
Vista OS installed! - Instead of offering me the dual-boot choice of Vista &
Ubuntu, my laptop boots straight into Ubuntu without asking me! (Ubuntu runs
fine though).

The only hiccup I experienced in the Install (which should've sent my alarm
bells ringing) is when Ubuntu didn't detect any Vista accounts to import. But
I stupidly overlooked this, and continued with the partitioning/install of
Ubuntu.

I've tried using the Vista boot DVD, but it only offers me the option of
installing a new copy of Vista (losing all my of data, settings and
programs!). The repair options are no help as it cannot find a system-restore
point to use.

Any advice?? I don't mind losing Ubuntu as long as I get Vista back with all
my data! How can I get my laptop to detect Vista, restore my partitions and
get back my data??

Please help! Thanks in advance...

Regards,

akadir

Jay Somerset

Re: Ubuntu dual boot
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 07:50:04 -0700, mak
<mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I ordered the Ubuntu 7.04 CD in order to run a dual-boot installation
>alongside Vista Ultimate. I had Vista installed on my C drive, and wanted to
>install Ubuntu on a new 10GB partition (created from the 15GB free space on
>my C drive).
>
>I followed the Vista + Ubuntu dual boot installation as shown here:
>http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_..._ubuntu_feisty .
>
>I followed the instructions as rigorously as possible, but it seems that
>having now completed the installation, my Dell 640m laptop fails to find ANY
>Vista OS installed! - Instead of offering me the dual-boot choice of Vista &
>Ubuntu, my laptop boots straight into Ubuntu without asking me! (Ubuntu runs
>fine though).
>
>The only hiccup I experienced in the Install (which should've sent my alarm
>bells ringing) is when Ubuntu didn't detect any Vista accounts to import. But
>I stupidly overlooked this, and continued with the partitioning/install of
>Ubuntu.
>
>I've tried using the Vista boot DVD, but it only offers me the option of
>installing a new copy of Vista (losing all my of data, settings and
>programs!). The repair options are no help as it cannot find a system-restore
>point to use.
>
>Any advice?? I don't mind losing Ubuntu as long as I get Vista back with all
>my data! How can I get my laptop to detect Vista, restore my partitions and
>get back my data??
>
>Please help! Thanks in advance...
>
>Regards,
>
>akadir

What does your /boot/grub/menu.lst (letter "ell", not "one") file look
like?
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Robert James

Re: Ubuntu dual boot
look for /grub/menu.lst
chmod it to 0777
then edit it with the default editor. default can be changed to 4 or 3, or 2
default boot time can also be altered.

Try default os=4

I am sure ubuntu is not that bad
Cheers!!

James

"mak" <mak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I ordered the Ubuntu 7.04 CD in order to run a dual-boot installation
> alongside Vista Ultimate. I had Vista installed on my C drive, and wanted
> install Ubuntu on a new 10GB partition (created from the 15GB free space
> on
> my C drive).
>
> I followed the Vista + Ubuntu dual boot installation as shown here:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_..._ubuntu_feisty .
>
> I followed the instructions as rigorously as possible, but it seems that
> having now completed the installation, my Dell 640m laptop fails to find
> ANY
> Vista OS installed! - Instead of offering me the dual-boot choice of Vista
> &
> Ubuntu, my laptop boots straight into Ubuntu without asking me! (Ubuntu
> runs
> fine though).
>
> The only hiccup I experienced in the Install (which should've sent my
> alarm
> bells ringing) is when Ubuntu didn't detect any Vista accounts to import.
> But
> I stupidly overlooked this, and continued with the partitioning/install of
> Ubuntu.
>
> I've tried using the Vista boot DVD, but it only offers me the option of
> installing a new copy of Vista (losing all my of data, settings and
> programs!). The repair options are no help as it cannot find a
> system-restore
> point to use.
>
> Any advice?? I don't mind losing Ubuntu as long as I get Vista back with
> all
> my data! How can I get my laptop to detect Vista, restore my partitions
> and
> get back my data??
>
> Please help! Thanks in advance...
>
> Regards,
>
> akadir

mak

Re: Ubuntu dual boot

"sudo fdisk-l" gives me the following:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 62 497983+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2 63 1342 10281600 83 Linux

--
"cat /boot/grub/menu.lst" gives me this:
--

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default
entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
#color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=a14c9cff-8cec-40ff-8073-e3e89ff9e0cd ro

## Setup crashdump menu entries
## e.g. crashdump=1
# crashdump=0

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,1)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
## lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
root=UUID=a14c9cff-8cec-40ff-8073-e3e89ff9e0cd ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
quiet
savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
root=UUID=a14c9cff-8cec-40ff-8073-e3e89ff9e0cd ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
root=UUID=a14c9cff-8cec-40ff-8073-e3e89ff9e0cd ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
quiet
savedefault

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
root=UUID=a14c9cff-8cec-40ff-8073-e3e89ff9e0cd ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic

title Ubuntu, memtest86+
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

--

Thanks for your help. Can you provide a solution now that you have the above
info?

Regards, akadir.