installing w2k alongside Vista

aa

installing w2k alongside Vista
I have a brand new HP computer with Windows Vista pre-installed.
I need also w2k on the same mashine.
I made a peimary partition using Vista built in Desk Manager. Now I have
booted from w2k cd.
Now I remembered from my experience with w2k-XP installations on one
computer that they both use NTDETECT and NTLOADER files and is w2k is
installed after XP, the XP would not boot because NTDETECT and NTLOADER
installed by w2k are not compatible with XP.
Questions:
1. Is it OK to have both Vista and w2k onthe same mashine?
2. Does Vista use NTDETECT and NTLOADER ?
If it does, where do they reside so that I could back them up?
I failed to find them, but this is probably because the system files are
hidden. If this is the case, how in Vista shall I set them visible?
In w2k it wes Windows Explorer -->Tools-->Folder Options
How do I do it in Vista?

John John

Re: installing w2k alongside Vista
aa wrote:

> I have a brand new HP computer with Windows Vista pre-installed.
> I need also w2k on the same mashine.
> I made a peimary partition using Vista built in Desk Manager. Now I have
> booted from w2k cd.
> Now I remembered from my experience with w2k-XP installations on one
> computer that they both use NTDETECT and NTLOADER files and is w2k is
> installed after XP, the XP would not boot because NTDETECT and NTLOADER
> installed by w2k are not compatible with XP.
> Questions:
> 1. Is it OK to have both Vista and w2k onthe same mashine?

Yes, just install them to different partitions.

> 2. Does Vista use NTDETECT and NTLOADER ?

No.

> If it does, where do they reside so that I could back them up?
> I failed to find them, but this is probably because the system files are
> hidden. If this is the case, how in Vista shall I set them visible?
> In w2k it wes Windows Explorer -->Tools-->Folder Options
> How do I do it in Vista?

After you install Windows 2000 you will have to boot with your Vista DVD
and restore the Vista MBR. If Windows 2000 is cantankerous and
difficult to install with the Vista MBR boot to Vista and return the
boot manager to ntldr, install Windows 2000 then return the boot code to
Vista. Once Vista has regained control of the boot process you will
have to add the Windows 2000 entry to the BCD Store. It is recommended
that you backup the Vista BCD store before you install Windows 2000.

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of
the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905126.aspx

Instead of using BCDEdit you can use this friendlier tool:
VistaBootPRO
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

John

Bruce Chambers

aa wrote:
> I have a brand new HP computer with Windows Vista pre-installed.
> I need also w2k on the same mashine.
> I made a peimary partition using Vista built in Desk Manager. Now I have
> booted from w2k cd.
> Now I remembered from my experience with w2k-XP installations on one
> computer that they both use NTDETECT and NTLOADER files and is w2k is
> installed after XP, the XP would not boot because NTDETECT and NTLOADER
> installed by w2k are not compatible with XP.
> Questions:
> 1. Is it OK to have both Vista and w2k onthe same mashine?

If installed properly, onto separate partitions, yes.

> 2. Does Vista use NTDETECT and NTLOADER ?

No.

> If it does, where do they reside so that I could back them up?
> I failed to find them, but this is probably because the system files are
> hidden. If this is the case, how in Vista shall I set them visible?
> In w2k it wes Windows Explorer -->Tools-->Folder Options
> How do I do it in Vista?

They don't exist, so you can't. You need to either install Win2K
before Vista, use a third party boot manager, or install some sort of
Virtual Machine application and install Win2K onto a virtual; computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: installing w2k alongside Vista
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

"aa" wrote:

[...]

sirfartalot

RE: installing w2k alongside Vista
I did something similar installing XP after Vista. First of all it stopped
Vista loading because the BIOS was reading XP's bootloader. This was very
easily solved by booting from my Vista DVD and doing a startup repair (true
you wouldn't have to do this if you installed XP first but it's no big deal
and you've already got vista installed).

I then installed Vista Boot Pro (http://www.vistabootpro.org/) which has to
be the number one 'should be part of the OS' utility for Vista. It makes
setting up a dual/multi boot system child's play

"aa" wrote:

> I have a brand new HP computer with Windows Vista pre-installed.
> I need also w2k on the same mashine.
> I made a peimary partition using Vista built in Desk Manager. Now I have
> booted from w2k cd.
> Now I remembered from my experience with w2k-XP installations on one
> computer that they both use NTDETECT and NTLOADER files and is w2k is
> installed after XP, the XP would not boot because NTDETECT and NTLOADER
> installed by w2k are not compatible with XP.
> Questions:
> 1. Is it OK to have both Vista and w2k onthe same mashine?
> 2. Does Vista use NTDETECT and NTLOADER ?
> If it does, where do they reside so that I could back them up?
> I failed to find them, but this is probably because the system files are
> hidden. If this is the case, how in Vista shall I set them visible?
> In w2k it wes Windows Explorer -->Tools-->Folder Options
> How do I do it in Vista?

aa

Re: installing w2k alongside Vista

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
1. > After you install Windows 2000 you will have to boot with your Vista
DVD
> and restore the Vista MBR.

Thanks. I understand I do it by running Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

2. If Windows 2000 is cantankerous and difficult to install with the Vista
MBR

What do you mean by "Windows 2000 difficult to install with the Vista
MBR?"? How these difficulties are going to pronounce themselves?

3. boot to Vista and return the boot manager to ntldr
How do I return the boot manager to ntldr?

4. install Windows 2000 then return the boot code to Vista.
Do do I do that? By running Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All ?

aa wrote:

> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> 1. > After you install Windows 2000 you will have to boot with your
> Vista DVD
>
>> and restore the Vista MBR.

> Thanks. I understand I do it by running Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All
>
> 2. If Windows 2000 is cantankerous and difficult to install with the
> Vista MBR
>
> What do you mean by "Windows 2000 difficult to install with the Vista
> MBR?"? How these difficulties are going to pronounce themselves?

You would have difficulty replacing the Vista boot code, the Windows
installation may not want to install or at the first reboot after the
setup text mode portion or after the complete installation it would not
want to boot. Most likely you wont have problems with this but if you
do exprience difficulties installing or booting Windows 2000 you may
want to remove the Vista Boot Code to make sure it isn't the culprit.

> 3. boot to Vista and return the boot manager to ntldr
> How do I return the boot manager to ntldr?

From the booted Vista installation open a Commad Prompt with elevated
Administrator privileges (Run as administrator) and form the C:\boot
folder issue:

bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

If it doesn't work from the boot folder use the Vista DVD and at the
Command Prompt issue:

x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

where x is the DVD drive letter.

> 4. install Windows 2000 then return the boot code to Vista.
> Do do I do that? By running Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All ?

Yes, that will replace the ntldr boot code & manager with the Vista boot
manager.

John