Reformat of Vista crashing

Clybella

Reformat of Vista crashing
I experienced a system crash and have since reinstalled Vista. It's a new
machine and XP was never installed. I did a format before reinstalling. I
installed the drivers for my Invidia 8800 GST and my monitor.

I set the Media Center to record a TV show and leave the machine running.
When I return, the machine has shut down and of course the show is not
recorded. I attempt to start of Media Center and it indicates a conflict
with the video card.

Now this machine has been running nicely for several months now and without
conflicts. No new hardware has been added.

I did though, take my external drive to connect to an Apple machine and this
was the beginning of all my problems and I believe the start of all my
problems. I can't though figure out why with a clean boot on a formatted
drive I would continue to have these problems. In the past, it would "sleep"
and with the movement of my mouse it would become active again. Not so now
though. Any ideas? Is this a software problem? or do you think I might be
experiencing a hardware short or glitch?

thanks

John Barnes

Re: Reformat of Vista crashing
I would make sure I had the latest drivers from Nvidia for your card, and I
would check all sleep, etc settings in both Vista and your BIOS. You may
not have set up the same settings you previously had.

"Clybella" <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I experienced a system crash and have since reinstalled Vista. It's a new
> machine and XP was never installed. I did a format before reinstalling.
> installed the drivers for my Invidia 8800 GST and my monitor.
>
> I set the Media Center to record a TV show and leave the machine running.
> When I return, the machine has shut down and of course the show is not
> recorded. I attempt to start of Media Center and it indicates a conflict
> with the video card.
>
> Now this machine has been running nicely for several months now and
> without
> conflicts. No new hardware has been added.
>
> I did though, take my external drive to connect to an Apple machine and
> this
> was the beginning of all my problems and I believe the start of all my
> problems. I can't though figure out why with a clean boot on a formatted
> drive I would continue to have these problems. In the past, it would
> "sleep"
> and with the movement of my mouse it would become active again. Not so
> now
> though. Any ideas? Is this a software problem? or do you think I might
> be
> experiencing a hardware short or glitch?
>
> thanks

Herman Klump

Re: Reformat of Vista crashing
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:50:01 -0700, Clybella
<Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I experienced a system crash and have since reinstalled Vista. It's a new
>machine and XP was never installed. I did a format before reinstalling. I
>installed the drivers for my Invidia 8800 GST and my monitor.
>
>I set the Media Center to record a TV show and leave the machine running.
>When I return, the machine has shut down and of course the show is not
>recorded. I attempt to start of Media Center and it indicates a conflict
>with the video card.
>
>Now this machine has been running nicely for several months now and without
>conflicts. No new hardware has been added.
>
>I did though, take my external drive to connect to an Apple machine and this
>was the beginning of all my problems and I believe the start of all my
>problems. I can't though figure out why with a clean boot on a formatted
>drive I would continue to have these problems. In the past, it would "sleep"
>and with the movement of my mouse it would become active again. Not so now
>though. Any ideas? Is this a software problem? or do you think I might be
>experiencing a hardware short or glitch?
>
>thanks

Welcome to Vista. I have at least fif**** customers who have had similar
problems with Vista - many using an nVidia graphics card. There were no
Apple machines involved though. I have updated all drivers, turned off
any and all power management, turned off sleep and hibernation modes,
re-installed Vista (of course, had to fight with M$ phone support to get
Vista re-activated), replaced hardware (video & memory) and that damn
Media Center still gives intermittent conflict error messages that refer
to the video adapter.

If you find a fix, please post it! I'm about ready to dump Vista and
install XP on a few of these machines because the customers are so
exasperated.

Good luck
Clybella

Re: Reformat of Vista crashing
I think I have it working now...fingers crossed. Being used to XP and then
having Vista "do things for you" can be a problem. Once I had Vista
installed, I proceeded to install my drivers, I realized that Vista was
downloading updates and this may have been a problem. This last try, I
caught the note that it was downloading updates and let it sit to do it's
thing. Once it finished the updates it recognized the graphics card
immediately. I had to go to the device manager to update the monitor.
Within Windows Media Centre, I had to insert the tuner driver disc (although
Vista recognized it) so that it could configure the Media Center to recognize
the driver. I found out that to do this I needed to open the folder "MCE
plugin" and from there activate "setup.exe". I then turned off the sleep
mode. I prefer to turn off my monitor and just get back to my system. I
just boot every few days. I also discovered that my attempts at backup had
been flawed and I believe I have it working so it automatically will
backup Sunday nights to my external drive. But like I said, I'm keeping my
fingers crossed.

"Herman Klump" wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:50:01 -0700, Clybella
> <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I experienced a system crash and have since reinstalled Vista. It's a new
> >machine and XP was never installed. I did a format before reinstalling. I
> >installed the drivers for my Invidia 8800 GST and my monitor.
> >
> >I set the Media Center to record a TV show and leave the machine running.
> >When I return, the machine has shut down and of course the show is not
> >recorded. I attempt to start of Media Center and it indicates a conflict
> >with the video card.
> >
> >Now this machine has been running nicely for several months now and without
> >conflicts. No new hardware has been added.
> >
> >I did though, take my external drive to connect to an Apple machine and this
> >was the beginning of all my problems and I believe the start of all my
> >problems. I can't though figure out why with a clean boot on a formatted
> >drive I would continue to have these problems. In the past, it would "sleep"
> >and with the movement of my mouse it would become active again. Not so now
> >though. Any ideas? Is this a software problem? or do you think I might be
> >experiencing a hardware short or glitch?
> >
> >thanks

> Welcome to Vista. I have at least fif**** customers who have had similar
> problems with Vista - many using an nVidia graphics card. There were no
> Apple machines involved though. I have updated all drivers, turned off
> any and all power management, turned off sleep and hibernation modes,
> re-installed Vista (of course, had to fight with M$ phone support to get
> Vista re-activated), replaced hardware (video & memory) and that damn
> Media Center still gives intermittent conflict error messages that refer
> to the video adapter.
>
> If you find a fix, please post it! I'm about ready to dump Vista and
> install XP on a few of these machines because the customers are so
> exasperated.
>
> Good luck

Herman Klump

Re: Reformat of Vista crashing
Thanx for the info. I may have to reload Vista one more time on one of
my especially troublesome customers systems. Media Centre seems to be
the main problem for me too. I've reloaded the tuner, monitor and video
drivers numerous times in different orders and still have strange stuff
going on. Good luck with your problems.

HLK

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:34:15 -0700, Clybella