Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro

Ed

Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be some
sort of guru to follow the directions.
Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007. As a
NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new OEM
computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward" file
to access.
When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error: Programs
trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even install
XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
--
Ed
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"Ed" wrote:

I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be some
sort of guru to follow the directions.
Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007. As a
NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new OEM
computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward" file
to access.
When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error: Programs
trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even install
XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
--
Ed

Rick Rogers

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
Hi Ed,

It won't install because it is detecting Vista. Boot the system with the XP
disk and start setup (you may need to change the boot order in the system
BIOS to achieve this). After you agree to the license by hitting F8, you
will come to a screen where you choose the installation location. Choose the
existing system partition (C and delete it. Create a new one from the free
space, format it (quick is fine) and proceed with the installation of XP.

Notes: The above will cause a loss of all data currently on the system
drive, so copy anything you wish to retain to removable media before
proceeding. Installing something other than the supplied operating system
for the system is likely to void your warranty. A retail version of XP may
not contain proper supporting drivers for the hardware on your system, check
with the manufacturer for availability before pursuing this.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be
> some
> sort of guru to follow the directions.
> Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007. As a
> NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new OEM
> computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward"
> file
> to access.
> When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error:
> Programs
> trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even
> install
> XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
> Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
> --
> Ed

Ed

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
I tried to install XP Pro, with a licensed copy, but it won't allow a
"natural" installation because of the error message. Any way around?
--
Ed

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "Ed" wrote:
>
> I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be some
> sort of guru to follow the directions.
> Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007. As a
> NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new OEM
> computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward" file
> to access.
> When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error: Programs
> trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even install
> XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
> Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
> --
> Ed

Ed

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
Thanks, Rick.

So, you're saying that Gateway won't honor a computer warranty because I've
changed the operating system?

And the only way I can remove Vista is to delete everything on the hard drive.

That says it's a hard drive reformat to me.

Though a bit more costly, considering Gateway won't honor the warranty and
Microsoft can't provide an easier uninstall of a worthless operating system
for a perfectly functional operating system, it appears I need to tear the
computer apart and install a new hard drive. That way, if I have a computer
issue, I can tear it apart again and reinstall the original hard drive so
Gatway will honor the warranty, with the exception, of course, of my tearing
it apart twice.

Seems like there is no winning way here.

Wonder why us neopyhites are being so persecuted. All we are trying to do is
communicate, work, and learn.
--
Ed

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> It won't install because it is detecting Vista. Boot the system with the XP
> disk and start setup (you may need to change the boot order in the system
> BIOS to achieve this). After you agree to the license by hitting F8, you
> will come to a screen where you choose the installation location. Choose the
> existing system partition (C and delete it. Create a new one from the free
> space, format it (quick is fine) and proceed with the installation of XP.
>
> Notes: The above will cause a loss of all data currently on the system
> drive, so copy anything you wish to retain to removable media before
> proceeding. Installing something other than the supplied operating system
> for the system is likely to void your warranty. A retail version of XP may
> not contain proper supporting drivers for the hardware on your system, check
> with the manufacturer for availability before pursuing this.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be
> > some
> > sort of guru to follow the directions.
> > Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007. As a
> > NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new OEM
> > computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward"
> > file
> > to access.
> > When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error:
> > Programs
> > trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even
> > install
> > XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
> > Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
> > --
> > Ed

Rick Rogers

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
Hi Ed,

> So, you're saying that Gateway won't honor a computer warranty because
> I've
> changed the operating system?

Pretty much, it's quite common among OEM manufacturers, and has been the
status quo since the days of Win98. Most design a system and the installed
proprietary hardware around the OS being used, drivers for a different OS
may be difficult (if not impossible) to find. You'd have to ask them to find
out for sure.

> And the only way I can remove Vista is to delete everything on the hard
> drive.

Yep, more below.

> That says it's a hard drive reformat to me.

Reformatting is insufficient. The partition needs to be removed and rebuilt
due to minor changes in the way NTFS is implemented in Vista. It can be read
by an XP install, but XP will not be able to install to a Vista created NTFS
volume.

> Though a bit more costly, considering Gateway won't honor the warranty and
> Microsoft can't provide an easier uninstall of a worthless operating
> system
> for a perfectly functional operating system

There's never been any method of removal of any operating system that is
cleanly installed outside of reformatting or recreating partitions/volumes.
This applies not only to Windows, but to Linux and any other OS as well. You
might want to check with Gateway to see if they offer downgrade rights on
their consumer systems. Not all OEM's do, but they might.

>, it appears I need to tear the
> computer apart and install a new hard drive. That way, if I have a
> computer
> issue, I can tear it apart again and reinstall the original hard drive so
> Gatway will honor the warranty, with the exception, of course, of my
> tearing
> it apart twice.

All of which, of course, will be pointless if the problem is with the
installed OS and not hardware.

> Seems like there is no winning way here.

As you've not stated what problems/issues you are encountering with Vista,
it's impossible to give any other advice. Any new OS has a rough period
while software vendors and device manufacturers update their software and
drivers. If the system itself is having problems, it may not be Windows but
rather faulty hardware. This is when you should exercise your warranty (and
one good reason to not void it prematurely).

--

> Thanks, Rick.
>

> Wonder why us neopyhites are being so persecuted. All we are trying to do
> is
> communicate, work, and learn.
> --
> Ed
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ed,
>>
>> It won't install because it is detecting Vista. Boot the system with the
>> XP
>> disk and start setup (you may need to change the boot order in the system
>> BIOS to achieve this). After you agree to the license by hitting F8, you
>> will come to a screen where you choose the installation location. Choose
>> the
>> existing system partition (C and delete it. Create a new one from the
>> free
>> space, format it (quick is fine) and proceed with the installation of XP.
>>
>> Notes: The above will cause a loss of all data currently on the system
>> drive, so copy anything you wish to retain to removable media before
>> proceeding. Installing something other than the supplied operating system
>> for the system is likely to void your warranty. A retail version of XP
>> may
>> not contain proper supporting drivers for the hardware on your system,
>> check
>> with the manufacturer for availability before pursuing this.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be
>> > some
>> > sort of guru to follow the directions.
>> > Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007.
>> > As a
>> > NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new
>> > OEM
>> > computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward"
>> > file
>> > to access.
>> > When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error:
>> > Programs
>> > trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even
>> > install
>> > XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
>> > Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
>> > --
>> > Ed

John Barnes

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
Just follow Rick's excellent advice, especially about making sure you can
get the drivers necessary to operate the computer with XP. As to the
warranty, just be able to reinstall Vista if necessary, You should either
have received restore cd's or instructions on how to make them from a hidden
restore partition. Just my experience, but the people in Gateways tech
service are idiots anyway, and as to getting service, my friend who had one
was sent the part, in her case a replacement drive, and she was supposed to
have a Gateway tech guide her thru the install. Either that or wait about a
month for them to get to the repair.

> [...]
>>
>> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be
>> > some
>> > sort of guru to follow the directions.
>> > Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007.
>> > As a
>> > NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new
>> > OEM
>> > computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward"
>> > file
>> > to access.
>> > When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error:
>> > Programs
>> > trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even
>> > install
>> > XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
>> > Help! My productivity is being destroyed!

Ed

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
Didn't ask me about the license, Rick. Started into setup, ran through
installation of many files, then said installation could not continue because
no hard drive was detected, asking to hit F3 to stop installation, then it
went on to boot in Vista.
--
Ed

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> It won't install because it is detecting Vista. Boot the system with the XP
> disk and start setup (you may need to change the boot order in the system
> BIOS to achieve this). After you agree to the license by hitting F8, you
> will come to a screen where you choose the installation location. Choose the
> existing system partition (C and delete it. Create a new one from the free
> space, format it (quick is fine) and proceed with the installation of XP.
>
> Notes: The above will cause a loss of all data currently on the system
> drive, so copy anything you wish to retain to removable media before
> proceeding. Installing something other than the supplied operating system
> for the system is likely to void your warranty. A retail version of XP may
> not contain proper supporting drivers for the hardware on your system, check
> with the manufacturer for availability before pursuing this.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be
> > some
> > sort of guru to follow the directions.
> > Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007. As a
> > NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new OEM
> > computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward"
> > file
> > to access.
> > When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error:
> > Programs
> > trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even
> > install
> > XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
> > Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
> > --
> > Ed

John Barnes

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
You probably need to use f8 and install SATA drivers shortly after XP starts
the install. Look for it at the bottom of the screen.

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news924D386-6C1C-4F17-8C90-66622085A540@microsoft.com...
> Didn't ask me about the license, Rick. Started into setup, ran through
> installation of many files, then said installation could not continue
> because
> no hard drive was detected, asking to hit F3 to stop installation, then it
> went on to boot in Vista.
> --
> Ed
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Ed,
>>
>> It won't install because it is detecting Vista. Boot the system with the
>> XP
>> disk and start setup (you may need to change the boot order in the system
>> BIOS to achieve this). After you agree to the license by hitting F8, you
>> will come to a screen where you choose the installation location. Choose
>> the
>> existing system partition (C and delete it. Create a new one from the
>> free
>> space, format it (quick is fine) and proceed with the installation of XP.
>>
>> Notes: The above will cause a loss of all data currently on the system
>> drive, so copy anything you wish to retain to removable media before
>> proceeding. Installing something other than the supplied operating system
>> for the system is likely to void your warranty. A retail version of XP
>> may
>> not contain proper supporting drivers for the hardware on your system,
>> check
>> with the manufacturer for availability before pursuing this.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've read through many of the threads, where it appears you need to be
>> > some
>> > sort of guru to follow the directions.
>> > Microsoft obviously made a terrible mistake in Vista and Office 2007.
>> > As a
>> > NOVICE type person, I need a "simple" way to install XP Pro on a new
>> > OEM
>> > computer, where Vista was installed by the OEM. There is no "backward"
>> > file
>> > to access.
>> > When I try to install XP, I get an error message, "Conflict error:
>> > Programs
>> > trying to install are older than already installed." So, I can't even
>> > install
>> > XP and use that program to delete/remove Vista.
>> > Help! My productivity is being destroyed!
>> > --
>> > Ed

Herman Klump

Re: Remove OEM installation of Vista, Install licensed XP Pro
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:13:05 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
>--
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows - Shell/User

Since the release of Vista, the michaelstevenstech website is sure
getting a ton of hits. LOL