OLE2.DLL Contains Error

Drew

OLE2.DLL Contains Error
Hello-

I am trying to install a program on a Vista Business machine and I am
getting the following error:

C:\Windows\system32\OLE2.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it
contains an error. Try install the program again...

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to trouble shoot this, or
could tell me the version of OLE2.DLL that should be on this machine (I am
wondering if someone or something overwrote it with a previous windows
version).

Thanks for your help,

Drew
Malke

Re: OLE2.DLL Contains Error
Drew wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I am trying to install a program on a Vista Business machine and I am
> getting the following error:
>
> C:\Windows\system32\OLE2.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it
> contains an error. Try install the program again...
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to trouble shoot this, or
> could tell me the version of OLE2.DLL that should be on this machine (I am
> wondering if someone or something overwrote it with a previous windows
> version).

What program? Do you know for certain that it - and the version you are
trying to install - is compatible with Vista? Is there any information
on the Mystery Program's tech support website?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Drew

Re: OLE2.DLL Contains Error
Sorry, should have been more specific. I am installing AOL using AOL 9.0
which ic vista ready. There is nothing on the help site about OLE2.DLL. I
thought this would be more of vista question because it is clearly using a
vista dll which must have been corrupted, overwritten or some how altered in
some way. Just wanted to see if anyone else ever ran across this error and
what they did to fix it on a Vista operating system.

Thanks again,

Drew

"Malke" wrote:

> Drew wrote:
> > Hello-
> >
> > I am trying to install a program on a Vista Business machine and I am
> > getting the following error:
> >
> > C:\Windows\system32\OLE2.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it
> > contains an error. Try install the program again...
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to trouble shoot this, or
> > could tell me the version of OLE2.DLL that should be on this machine (I am
> > wondering if someone or something overwrote it with a previous windows
> > version).

> What program? Do you know for certain that it - and the version you are
> trying to install - is compatible with Vista? Is there any information
> on the Mystery Program's tech support website?
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: OLE2.DLL Contains Error
Drew wrote:
> Sorry, should have been more specific. I am installing AOL using AOL 9.0
> which ic vista ready. There is nothing on the help site about OLE2.DLL. I
> thought this would be more of vista question because it is clearly using a
> vista dll which must have been corrupted, overwritten or some how altered in
> some way. Just wanted to see if anyone else ever ran across this error and
> what they did to fix it on a Vista operating system.
>
> Thanks again,

No, this is an AOL issue. Apparently their program is wanting to use a
version of OLE2.dll that is older than the one that comes with Vista.
Suggestions:

1. Don't use AOL or if you must, don't use their software. If you have a
different ISP, you can still use AOL mail for free (at least here in the
US) and you don't need their software.

2. Make sure you have the very latest version of AOL software.

3. Contact AOL tech support for help with their program.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Drew

Re: OLE2.DLL Contains Error
Malke-

I contacted AOL and they gave me the run around, telling me this is a vista
issue. I am trying to figure this out for my father on his machine. I still
think that the OLE2.DLL version of his machine is somehow out of synch with
the rest of vista. Can you tell me what version of OLE2.DLL should be on a
vista machine?

Thanks,

Drew

"Malke" wrote:

> Drew wrote:
> > Sorry, should have been more specific. I am installing AOL using AOL 9.0
> > which ic vista ready. There is nothing on the help site about OLE2.DLL. I
> > thought this would be more of vista question because it is clearly using a
> > vista dll which must have been corrupted, overwritten or some how altered in
> > some way. Just wanted to see if anyone else ever ran across this error and
> > what they did to fix it on a Vista operating system.
> >
> > Thanks again,

> No, this is an AOL issue. Apparently their program is wanting to use a
> version of OLE2.dll that is older than the one that comes with Vista.
> Suggestions:
>
> 1. Don't use AOL or if you must, don't use their software. If you have a
> different ISP, you can still use AOL mail for free (at least here in the
> US) and you don't need their software.
>
> 2. Make sure you have the very latest version of AOL software.
>
> 3. Contact AOL tech support for help with their program.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

mcronin1

Re: OLE2.DLL Contains Error

Drew:

Ever solve your problem? I'm getting the same message!
Anyway, my Vista version of ole2.dll is 2.10.35.35 and is dated 2006.

Mike Cronin

--
mcronin1
mcronin1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36282