cannot load vista

monty

cannot load vista
hi.. i just bought Acer aspire 5920. it came with windows vista original.
yesterday i decided to install XP using slipstreamed XP + sata driver, it
works but now it doesnt detect any windows vista. everytime i restart, it
just load windows XP, it should be an option to load vista or xp doesnt it?
but this option doesnt exist. now i cannot boot to vista. i tried to restore
using alt F10 at the beginning of acer logo (as said in the manual book) but
nothing happened, it just keep booting to XP. please help me guys, im so
stressed..
i already read that i shouldnt installed xp in a preinstalled vista laptop.
but it already happened, what should i do? i want my vista back..
thanx a lot for the reply..
Kerry Brown

Re: cannot load vista
"monty" <monty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi.. i just bought Acer aspire 5920. it came with windows vista original.
> yesterday i decided to install XP using slipstreamed XP + sata driver, it
> works but now it doesnt detect any windows vista. everytime i restart, it
> just load windows XP, it should be an option to load vista or xp doesnt
> it?
> but this option doesnt exist. now i cannot boot to vista. i tried to
> restore
> using alt F10 at the beginning of acer logo (as said in the manual book)
> but
> nothing happened, it just keep booting to XP. please help me guys, im so
> stressed..
> i already read that i shouldnt installed xp in a preinstalled vista
> laptop.
> but it already happened, what should i do? i want my vista back..
> thanx a lot for the reply..

Did you make the Acer recovery DVDs when you first got your computer? Did
you format the drive when installing XP?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

monty

Re: cannot load vista
no. coz in the acer manual said that it coul be restore with hidden partition
by pressing alt F10. i format the drive D. vista is still safe in drive C (i
still can explore it from xp). the partition for recovery is in drive - (not
specified) but it still there, i dont mess around with it.

i tried to uninstall the XP but it wont uninstall. what should i do now?

> no. coz in the acer manual said that it coul be restore with hidden
> partition
> by pressing alt F10. i format the drive D. vista is still safe in drive C
> (i
> still can explore it from xp). the partition for recovery is in drive -
> (not
> specified) but it still there, i dont mess around with it.
>
> i tried to uninstall the XP but it wont uninstall. what should i do now?

Download and install VistaBoot Pro. You can use it to setup a dual boot with
Vista and XP.

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

I highly recommend you create the recovery DVDs. You will need them if the
hard drive crashes. If the recovery partition hasn't been formatted and
alt-F10 doesn't work then you have to enable it in the BIOS. I can't
remember exactly what it's called but it's something like "disk to disk
transfer". My recommendation is to use VistaBoot Pro to create the dual boot
setup. Boot to Vista and read the Acer documentation in both the manual and
the online manual on the computer.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

monty

Re: cannot load vista
i already enable the D2D features in the bios, it still wont work.
if i installed vista from my friends Cd and enter the serial number of mine
is it possible? after that i make a recovery dvd from there. i will
absolutely try vista boot pro. i will try and report the result. thamx a lot
kerry brown. this information really help me. hope it works.
dean-dean

Re: cannot load vista
Follow Kerry's instructions and install Vista BootPRO on XP. You can use
your friend's DVD to repair Vista (reinstalling is probably not necessary,
and since you have an OEM installation, a non-OEM installation may overwrite
functionality your notebook needs. Your activation key won't work either).

Because you can’t use the Windows XP bootloader to boot Vista, you have to
reinstate Vista’s bootloader to the MBR and configure it to manage both
operating systems. Boot from the Vista DVD and on the screen where you’re
prompted to “Install now”, select “Repair your computer”. The next screen
searches for local Vista installations – there should only be one, so click
Next. This loads the System Recovery Options screen. Select the first
option – Startup Repair. This looks for problems which would prevent Vista
from loading (like a missing bootloader) and automatically fixes them.
Click Close and then Finish, and the system will restart and boot into
Vista. If it doesn't, use Vista BootPRO to configure things and try the
repair again. If you can boot into Vista, but the option for XP is missing,
install BootPRO on Vista to restore the option for XP.

>i already enable the D2D features in the bios, it still wont work.
> if i installed vista from my friends Cd and enter the serial number of
> mine
> is it possible? after that i make a recovery dvd from there. i will
> absolutely try vista boot pro. i will try and report the result. thamx a
> lot
> kerry brown. this information really help me. hope it works.

monty

Re: cannot load vista
finally problem solved. i borrow my friends Vista DVD and first like dean
dean said i try to repair but dont work, so i install it in drive D. it
works, at start up there is a choice of two vista, and one of them is my old
vista. never wait to make a recovery DVD after that. thank you guys, thank
you so so much...
John Barnes

Re: cannot load vista
If you still want XP, make the partition you want to install XP on the
'active' partition. That way the boot files won't overwrite your Vista
files. Then after the install, set the Vista partition 'active' again.
Then use EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to add a legacy system to your boot process
pointing to the XP drive.

> finally problem solved. i borrow my friends Vista DVD and first like dean
> dean said i try to repair but dont work, so i install it in drive D. it
> works, at start up there is a choice of two vista, and one of them is my
> old
> vista. never wait to make a recovery DVD after that. thank you guys, thank
> you so so much...

monty

Re: cannot load vista
"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you still want XP, make the partition you want to install XP on the
> 'active' partition. That way the boot files won't overwrite your Vista
> files. Then after the install, set the Vista partition 'active' again.
> Then use EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to add a legacy system to your boot process
> pointing to the XP drive.

Hi john..
i still interested in having dual boot (vista and XP).
How could i activate or deactivate partition? could i do that with partition
magic? or maybe there is other better program?
thanx ..
John Barnes

Re: cannot load vista
Partition Magic should work (don't use for any other purpose as the NTFS
used in Vista is not supported). You can probably do it in Computer
Management/Disk Management and there is the Command Prompt diskpart ?
where you can get the format and command to do it there.