Progrsm Stopped working

Anthony Lisanti

Progrsm Stopped working

Every now and then I get error messages that a program has stoppped
working. This always points to the antivirus or UPS software.
However, the program is running fine. Any idea why or how to resolve
this?

Andrew McLaren

Re: Progrsm Stopped working
"Anthony Lisanti" <ajlisanti@optonline.net> wrote ...
> Every now and then I get error messages that a program has stoppped
> working. This always points to the antivirus or UPS software.
> However, the program is running fine. Any idea why or how to resolve

There's not really enough information in your problem description to make
useful suggestions.

What is the exact text of the error message you get?
What do you see in the Application and System event logs, at the time of
these errors?
What anti-virus and UPS software do you have installed?
What edition of Vista are you running?
Was it an upgrade, or a new install?
Was Vista running okay for a while, then this problem started appearing? Or
has it been happening since day one?
Anything else that seems relevant?

I can't guarantee we'll fix your problem, even with this info ... but at
least we'll have a chance. Otherwise it's just too vague to troubleshoot.

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

Anthony Lisanti

Re: Progrsm Stopped working

Andrew:

Here is the error:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: vsserv.exe
Application Version: 10.2.1.156
Application Timestamp: 46545d69
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00069ec7
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c453
Additional Information 2: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9
Additional Information 3: c453
Additional Information 4: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9

Bitdefender Antivirus is aware of this issue. Although, there is no
fix yet, the same goes for the UPS Parachute software. Shutting off
data collection for the UPS software stopped the problem, but it seems
there is still no solution for the Antivirus.

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:24:25 +1000, "Andrew McLaren"
<andrew@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>"Anthony Lisanti" <ajlisanti@optonline.net> wrote ...
>> Every now and then I get error messages that a program has stoppped
>> working. This always points to the antivirus or UPS software.
>> However, the program is running fine. Any idea why or how to resolve

>There's not really enough information in your problem description to make
>useful suggestions.
>
>What is the exact text of the error message you get?
>What do you see in the Application and System event logs, at the time of
>these errors?
>What anti-virus and UPS software do you have installed?
>What edition of Vista are you running?
>Was it an upgrade, or a new install?
>Was Vista running okay for a while, then this problem started appearing? Or
>has it been happening since day one?
>Anything else that seems relevant?
>
>I can't guarantee we'll fix your problem, even with this info ... but at
>least we'll have a chance. Otherwise it's just too vague to troubleshoot.

Andrew McLaren

Re: Progrsm Stopped working
"Anthony Lisanti" <ajlisanti@optonline.net> wrote ...
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: vsserv.exe

Thanks Anthony. I guess you have Bitdefender 10.2 with all the latest
Updates, right? (ie, in Bitdefender go to Updates, Update now)

In any case it it pretty much up to Bitdefender; there's nothing in Windows
you can configure to bypass this type of problem. An Access Violation
(0xC0000005) almost always boils down to a programming error, somewhere. You
can sometimes alleviate them by shifting things in Windows; but this is just
making, not solving, the problem. If Parachute is also hiting an AV
(0xC0000005 exception) that same applies there. Make sure they know about
the problem and look for an update.

Even in the cases the AV is caused by a bug in Windows, the people who can
best debug the crash are the folks who own the source code for the EXE. If
they isolate a problem in Windows, they'll work directly with Microsoft via
TSANet or one of the other various ISV bilateral channels, to get it fixed.

Good luck,