How to de-install non-compatible programs after upgrade to Vista

Pierre

How to de-install non-compatible programs after upgrade to Vista
After upgrade from XP to Vista (and, yes this is stupid I know, having
omitted to deinstall programs that were mentionned to be incompatible with
Vista), I am left with a Vista installation with programs I would like to
de-install now:
- PDF Creator
- A bunch of Windows XP Power Toys
of course the simple straightforward way doesn't work nor do the trick read
on some posts indictaing you can run msiexec.exe in "XP compatibility mode".

Any one having an idea of what I can do?

thanks
--
Pierre
Rick Rogers

Re: How to de-install non-compatible programs after upgrade to Vista
Hi Pierre,

> Any one having an idea of what I can do?

Yes, but you may not like it. As you ignored the warnings, you're now stuck.
Basically, these are your options:

a) Check with the software vendor for updated, Vista-compatible versions of
those programs and install them over the non-compliant ones. Then you should
be able to uninstall or continue using them. This will likely cost you a few
dollars, as most software vendors don't upgrade for free.

b) Backup your data files. Format and start over (this was the answer you
weren't going to like) with a clean install of Vista.

c) If you still have a windows.old folder containing the original install,
you can use the steps here to restore the original XP installation and
remove the programs properly and then redo the upgrade:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Pierre" <Pierre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrade from XP to Vista (and, yes this is stupid I know, having
> omitted to deinstall programs that were mentionned to be incompatible with
> Vista), I am left with a Vista installation with programs I would like to
> de-install now:
> - PDF Creator
> - A bunch of Windows XP Power Toys
> of course the simple straightforward way doesn't work nor do the trick
> read
> on some posts indictaing you can run msiexec.exe in "XP compatibility
> mode".
>
> Any one having an idea of what I can do?
>
> thanks
> --
> Pierre

Pierre

Re: How to de-install non-compatible programs after upgrade to Vis
Ok Rick thanks - regarding the options you mentionned

a) that would be an option especially because the software I am speaking
about were free/share-ware (XP Powertoys from MS and PDF Creator sourceforge)
- unfortunately, Vista versions do not exist yet (and re powertoys may likely
never exist)
b) Gosh!
c) Indeed... unfortunately again, in my enthusiasm in using the otherwise
perfectly workable Vista... I delete that folder :-(

thanks for your answer anyway - I finally decided yesterday to go the "brute
force" way and went into REGEDIT to delete correct any entry related to these
software and trougyh de hard disk to delete the files - seems to be ok

regards

--
Pierre