Files and Setting Transfer Problem

Don

Files and Setting Transfer Problem
Hi Guys:

I purchased a new HP computer set up with Vista Home Premium, my problem is
trying to transfer the files and setting from the old laptop (Fujitsu), which
is running XP Pro to this new computer.

First I tried the Belkin transfer cable assembly with associated software
and was not able to get it to work. Then I used the back up to CDs option
which transfered the files and setting from the XP laptop to the CDs OK. MY
problem is that HP has partitioned the D: drive section of C: with only about
7 GB of space, which HP uses to store the restore folder, (this is all of the
original programs and settings as the computer was shipped from the factory).

When loading the CDs in the Vista computer, some of the files are loaded
into D: and it runs out of space, I get a fault of D: full and aborts the
transfer.

Any suggestions about how to accomplish this task would be greatly appreciated
--
Don B
AJR

Re: Files and Setting Transfer Problem
Doubt if any files are being copied to the restore partition ("D"?). The
recovery partition is not accessible for protective reasons. HP does
provide a utility to copy the restore partition contents to removeable media
and an utility to remove the recovery partition.

When the recovery partition is created the MBR is modified to present the
"Hit the F11 Key.... " for recovery at bootup. Manually deleting the
partition does not remove the modification however the HP utility will do
so.

"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys:
>
> I purchased a new HP computer set up with Vista Home Premium, my problem
> is
> trying to transfer the files and setting from the old laptop (Fujitsu),
> which
> is running XP Pro to this new computer.
>
> First I tried the Belkin transfer cable assembly with associated software
> and was not able to get it to work. Then I used the back up to CDs option
> which transfered the files and setting from the XP laptop to the CDs OK.
> MY
> problem is that HP has partitioned the D: drive section of C: with only
> about
> 7 GB of space, which HP uses to store the restore folder, (this is all of
> the
> original programs and settings as the computer was shipped from the
> factory).
>
> When loading the CDs in the Vista computer, some of the files are loaded
> into D: and it runs out of space, I get a fault of D: full and aborts the
> transfer.
>
> Any suggestions about how to accomplish this task would be greatly
> appreciated
> --
> Don B

peter

Re: Files and Setting Transfer Problem
How abou the File&settings transfer wizard from XP........and on the other
end from VIsta.
The one time I used it I could uncheck/check what i did/not want tranferred
and where I wanted it to go.
peter