Dual core cpu problem, only one core being found by Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Phil (PM)

Dual core cpu problem, only one core being found by Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can ellborate on some posts I just read and
see if it could help my problem.

wrote:

>In article <1177716911.510979.22310@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
>says...
>> When I initially installed Windows Vista Home Premium OEM, I had an
>> Intel Pentium 4 650 (single core 3.4GHz) Processor installed in my
>> system. I have since changed the system processor to a Pentium D 830
>> (dual core 3.0GHz) processor. However, Windows is acting like it
>> doesn't know my processor has a second core. Task Manager shows the
>> CPU graph for only a single core and I have a Multi-core Windows
>> Gadget that I've downloaded that shows Windows is only using a single
>> core.
>>
>> I have googled forever to try and find a solution to no avail. I
>> found a recommendation to use a tool called NTFS4DOS and rename the
>> HAL.DLL file to something else and rename HALMACPI.DLL to HAL.DLL.
>> That didn't work. I also tried re-installing Vista on top of itself
>> (upgrading itself) and that had no affect.
>>
>> I have removed the entries for the Pentium 4 650 CPU in Device Manager
>> and Windows Vista Home Premium now correctly identifies my CPU as a
>> Pentium D 830, but it still only runs on the first core!!!!
>>
>> My system board is an ASUS P5ND2-SLI. It was also suggested to check
>> in system BIOS to make sure there isn't a setting to disable one of
>> the cores. I'm running the latest system BIOS from ASUS (1.06) and
>> there is no such setting in my BIOS.
>>
>> I found articles that described systems with AMD processors that
>> seemed to be more plagued with this problem, however, my CPU is
>> definitely Intel and the suggested workarounds don't apply.
>>
>> I'm really not looking forward to formatting my 400GB HDDs and re-
>> installing Windows Vista. It's now 3 months after the release of
>> Windows Vista. Somebody must have seen this problem by now, I'd
>> think, but I can't find a solution posted anywhere.
>>
>> Please help!!!!
>>

>You'll need the DVD in the drive.

Vista DVD I assume
>Open up Device Manager.
>
>Click the + next to computer.
>
>Right click on whatever entry is there (such as ACPI x86 based PC) and
>select properties.
>
>Click on Driver Tab
>
>Click on Update Driver.
>
>Click on Browse My Computer
>
>Click on Let me pick from a list. You may need to untick the "Show
>compatible hardware" box.
>
>Select the one appropriate, let it install a driver then reboot.

Which one should we pick?

Hi, I have same problem, Vista not using both cpu's,
I have a D490 Intel Duel core, both are listed in device manager but
if I click task manager and view performance, there is only one graph
for CPU and I cannot change it to two
Yet when I reinstalled XP Pro onto other HD last weekend and ran it,
sure enough there was two graphs for cpu's
Re your instructions above?
What DVD?
Vista Ultimate 64bit is what I have.
I tried that
Found ACPI x64 based PC, update drive, chose let me choose and browse
my PC, but nothing was found.

Did anyone fix this problem?

if so, please post reply or email me at
pmitche1(nospam)@bigpond.net.au
remove (nospam)

Thanks

Phil
John Barnes

Re: Dual core cpu problem, only one core being found by Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Have you gone into task manager performance view cpu history and selected
one graph per cpu?

"Phil (PM)" <pmitchel(nospam)@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> [...]

>>Click on Driver Tab
>>
>>Click on Update Driver.
>>
>>Click on Browse My Computer
>>
>>Click on Let me pick from a list. You may need to untick the "Show
>>compatible hardware" box.
>>
>>Select the one appropriate, let it install a driver then reboot.

> Which one should we pick?
>

> Hi, I have same problem, Vista not using both cpu's,
> I have a D490 Intel Duel core, both are listed in device manager but
> if I click task manager and view performance, there is only one graph
> for CPU and I cannot change it to two
> Yet when I reinstalled XP Pro onto other HD last weekend and ran it,
> sure enough there was two graphs for cpu's
> Re your instructions above?
> What DVD?
> Vista Ultimate 64bit is what I have.
> I tried that
> Found ACPI x64 based PC, update drive, chose let me choose and browse

JW

Re: Dual core cpu problem, only one core being found by Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Is your MOBO BIOS up to date?