Installing Different OS Types (64-bit, 32-bit) on Different Machin

Dan Vann

Installing Different OS Types (64-bit, 32-bit) on Different Machin
I have Vista Ultimate and it came with both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions in
the case. My PC has a 64-bit processor, so I chose to install the 64-bit
version. I still have the 32-bit version in the case and I have never used it
and probably will never use the 32-bit version.

Since the 32-bit version is different than the 64-bit version, is it
possible to install the 32-bit version on another PC I own and still have it
be fully activated? Also if this is possible would I still use the same CD
key provided or would I need to do something else? It doesn't make much sense
to have both versions of the OS if you could only use one or the other and
not both. I would like to have a definitive answer before I try to install
the 32-bit version on the other PC in order to prevent any installation
headaches. Thanks.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Installing Different OS Types (64-bit, 32-bit) on Different Machin
Dan

The number of disks or their type have nothing to do with the license. You
only have one license for the product. The EULA only allows one install per
license.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Dan Vann" <Dan Vann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Ultimate and it came with both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions
>in
> the case. My PC has a 64-bit processor, so I chose to install the 64-bit
> version. I still have the 32-bit version in the case and I have never used
> it
> and probably will never use the 32-bit version.
>
> Since the 32-bit version is different than the 64-bit version, is it
> possible to install the 32-bit version on another PC I own and still have
> it
> be fully activated? Also if this is possible would I still use the same CD
> key provided or would I need to do something else? It doesn't make much
> sense
> to have both versions of the OS if you could only use one or the other and
> not both. I would like to have a definitive answer before I try to install
> the 32-bit version on the other PC in order to prevent any installation
> headaches. Thanks.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Installing Different OS Types (64-bit, 32-bit) on Different Machin
You have one license and one Product Key and thus licensed for
installation on only one computer.
The fact that Microsoft inserted both DVDs as a convenience does
nothing to change the license.

"doesn't make much sense to have both"
Actually it does.
It is convenient for power users to have the choice and more power
users will exercise that choice.
Retail Ultimate comes with both DVDs while the other 3 versions can
order the 64 bit DVD.
All 4 have the option of ordering their version on CD.

For the definitive answer, read the agreement.

Also see:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/vistaget.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Dan Vann" <Dan Vann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Ultimate and it came with both the 64-bit and 32-bit
>versions in
> the case. My PC has a 64-bit processor, so I chose to install the
> 64-bit
> version. I still have the 32-bit version in the case and I have
> never used it
> and probably will never use the 32-bit version.
>
> Since the 32-bit version is different than the 64-bit version, is it
> possible to install the 32-bit version on another PC I own and still
> have it
> be fully activated? Also if this is possible would I still use the
> same CD
> key provided or would I need to do something else? It doesn't make
> much sense
> to have both versions of the OS if you could only use one or the
> other and
> not both. I would like to have a definitive answer before I try to
> install
> the 32-bit version on the other PC in order to prevent any
> installation
> headaches. Thanks.

Richard Urban

Re: Installing Different OS Types (64-bit, 32-bit) on Different Machin
One or the other - not both.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban