Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd

olant

Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd

Hello,

I upgraded my pc and bought Windows Vista ultimate 64bit, and i would
like to install Windows vista Business 64bit.

How can i do it ?

I took ultimate because it was the only version i could find (in my
area anyway) that had a 64bit version in the box.
But i don't want the media center, the high definition, and all the
multimedia stuff. All of these ultimate "extras" are of no use whatsover
to me.

So my question is basically can i install the Business version with my
ultimate key ? (is it "downwards" compatible in a way ?).

I don't understand why ultimate is the only one with 64bit in the box.
It doesn't make sense to me. It would have been much more logical for
the Business version to be the one with 64bit in the box.

--
olant
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd
You are not obliged to run Media Center, create movies, or partake in any of
the multimedia activities.. what is more, if you do not have the appropriate
hardware for all of Ultimates features, they will not be installed anyway..

newslant.2t95dg@no-mx.forums.net...

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

olant

Re: Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd

Hello,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, i am not forced to watch movies on my computer (that's what my tv
is for, and it's very good at it), thankfully ! :-)

The problem is not using or not what is installed, it's just that it is
bothering to me to have things installed that will evidently load the
system in a way or another that i have no use for.

All i want is 64bit Business, and i couldn't find a business 64bit
version box anywhere around, so I took a 64bit ultimate version box
(probably a mistake).

Since last post, I tried installing Business without key then entering
Ultimate key under Vista, unfortunately it doesn't work, error message
saying i need Business version key.

It would be much better if the key was "downwards" compatible, much
cleaner and simpler, i don't understand why they didn't do it that way.
But unless i find a way it looks like i will have to try and remove the
media center, hd stuff etc... after install, as suggested on another
thread, a wonderful way to start off with a new OS don't you think ;-).

Do you know of a way to remove all these things after install cleanly
and as simply as possible (so it ends up like a Business version ) ?

I still don't understand why they don't put 64bit media in the business
box, probably the box where it makes the most sense to put it (with
maybe the ultimate for big gamers or people who like to watch movies on
their computers, i don't.)

--
olant
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd
No, you can not install Business since Ultimate will be installed when
you use the Ultimate key.
The DVD includes the 4 versions of Vista and the key determines which
is installed.

Return Ultimate and purchase Business, easier if you live in North
America.

While Ultimate is the only one that comes with a 64 bit DVD in the
box, you can order the 64 bit DVD or even CDs if you purchased, Home
Basic, Home Premium or Business:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/vistaget.htm

As for why 64 bit is only included in Ultimate?
My guess...
1. Eliminates confusion of which to use for less experienced users.
2. Saves $ by not including what many will not use anyways.
3. Generally the power users that want 64 bit also want Ultimate.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"olant" <olant.2t95dg@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newslant.2t95dg@no-mx.forums.net...

> Hello,
>
> I upgraded my pc and bought Windows Vista ultimate 64bit, and i
> would
> like to install Windows vista Business 64bit.
>
> How can i do it ?
>
> I took ultimate because it was the only version i could find (in my
> area anyway) that had a 64bit version in the box.
> But i don't want the media center, the high definition, and all the
> multimedia stuff. All of these ultimate "extras" are of no use
> whatsover
> to me.
>
> So my question is basically can i install the Business version with
> my
> ultimate key ? (is it "downwards" compatible in a way ?).
>
> I don't understand why ultimate is the only one with 64bit in the
> box.
> It doesn't make sense to me. It would have been much more logical
> for
> the Business version to be the one with 64bit in the box.
>

> --
> olant

olant

Re: Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd

Actually, do you know if there is a difference in system performance
between the Business and the Ultimate version (supposing the multimedia
featues in ultimate are not used) ?

If I know there isn't any difference and the "extra" features of
ultimate don't slow the system, i'll be happy to leave Ultimate
installed as it is (i don't really like the idea of having to uninstall
things after install).

Thaks for your help

--
olant
olant

Re: Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd

If you are wondering why 64 bit is important to me it's because i'm an
architecture student, and use a lot of CAD and rendering programs.

The 64 bit versions of these programs are starting to come out, and the
rendering times of the 64 bit versions are incredibly faster (haven't
tested pesonaly yet, but from "relaibale" sources typical basic renders
can change from 20-30 minutes to less than a minute !).
I know it doesn't bring much to the other programs, but apparently it
certainly doesn't take anything away from them.
The only problem with 64bit seems to be the drivers and i'm lucky to
have found drivers for my hardware (a problem which will rapidly
diminuish to the point of disappearing for practicaly everybody i
suppose).

As students we test a lot (we're still learning, so a lot of it is
trial and error, and basicly trying out new things, new ways of
presenting our work), and are always in a hurry for putting together the
presentations. And when you are working day and night the last week for
the presentation of a project, 30 minutes less on a render is very
precious :-)

For info, no, not in North America, in France

Thanks for your help.

--
olant
Andrew McLaren

Re: Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd
"olant" <olant.2t9a74@no-mx.forums.net> wrote...

> Actually, do you know if there is a difference in system performance
> between the Business and the Ultimate version (supposing the multimedia
> featues in ultimate are not used) ?

Bonjour Olant,

There is no difference at all, in performance.

When you install Ultimate, none of the multimedia stuff starts running
automatically. So, Media PC etc have zero impact on performance (apart from
occupying a few MB of disk space). It's only if you actually go to the Start
Menu, and explicitly start running these applications, that they would have
any impact on performance.

Furthermore, you can go into Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn
Windows Features On or Off, and deselect the Windows Ultimate Features such
as Bitlocker preparation tool, Dreamscene, and secure backup. With these
un-installed, you are more or less back at a Business Edition.

I'd recommend you just stick with the x64 Ultimate version you already have.
There's no significant performance advantage to Business edition; in fact,
no disadvantage at all, significant or otherwise. And some of the Ultimate
features might even prove useful, in future (eg Subsystem for Unix Apps, if
you use Unix at you university)

J'espère que c'est utile :-)

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

olant

Re: Install Business version with Ultimate version dvd

Hello,

Oui, c'est exactement ce que je voulais savoir, merci :-)

--
olant