vista install problem

kosmo

vista install problem
Hi Guys, heres the rig:
amd 4200+
asus a8nsli
2gb mushkin ddr400
7950gt
36gb raptor sata2
2* 80gb hitachi's sata2
120gb seagate pata

I got the vista home premium upgrade to go over xp pro.

All worked fine,so i ordered the 64 bit vista disk and had to do a clean
install.
Right at the very end of the install i get an error message saying "windows
setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware"

So i try reverting to the 32bit edition and get the same error.
Now i have just installed xp pro and tried the update tools thing that
checks the hardware and there isnt a problem,it says vista will run on this
setup.

I have just finished upgrading from xp to vista 32 bit and it is saying it
again!!

I havent changed any hardware in my rig since the first vista install and i
cant find any info on the error.

Any help please?

Edit: forgot to mention that i have updated the bios,done the ram diagnostic
test and tried unplugging all hard drives and installing on each one
seperately(very time consuming)

Kerry Brown

Re: vista install problem
"kosmo" <kosmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys, heres the rig:
> amd 4200+
> asus a8nsli
> 2gb mushkin ddr400
> 7950gt
> 36gb raptor sata2
> 2* 80gb hitachi's sata2
> 120gb seagate pata
>
> I got the vista home premium upgrade to go over xp pro.
>
> All worked fine,so i ordered the 64 bit vista disk and had to do a clean
> install.
> Right at the very end of the install i get an error message saying
> "windows
> setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware"
>
> So i try reverting to the 32bit edition and get the same error.
> Now i have just installed xp pro and tried the update tools thing that
> checks the hardware and there isnt a problem,it says vista will run on
> this
> setup.
>
> I have just finished upgrading from xp to vista 32 bit and it is saying it
> again!!
>
> I havent changed any hardware in my rig since the first vista install and
> cant find any info on the error.
>
> Any help please?
>
> Edit: forgot to mention that i have updated the bios,done the ram
> diagnostic
> test and tried unplugging all hard drives and installing on each one
> seperately(very time consuming)

It sounds like you may need to supply a SATA drive controller driver when
doing a clean install. When you get to the screen where you configure the
drives and partitions click on the Load Driver link and install the Vista
SATA controller driver. Do this even if you see all your drives on that
screen.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

kosmo

Re: vista install problem
Thanks Kerry,i will give it a go now.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "kosmo" <kosmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys, heres the rig:
> > amd 4200+
> > asus a8nsli
> > 2gb mushkin ddr400
> > 7950gt
> > 36gb raptor sata2
> > 2* 80gb hitachi's sata2
> > 120gb seagate pata
> >
> > I got the vista home premium upgrade to go over xp pro.
> >
> > All worked fine,so i ordered the 64 bit vista disk and had to do a clean
> > install.
> > Right at the very end of the install i get an error message saying
> > "windows
> > setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware"
> >
> > So i try reverting to the 32bit edition and get the same error.
> > Now i have just installed xp pro and tried the update tools thing that
> > checks the hardware and there isnt a problem,it says vista will run on
> > this
> > setup.
> >
> > I have just finished upgrading from xp to vista 32 bit and it is saying it
> > again!!
> >
> > I havent changed any hardware in my rig since the first vista install and
> > cant find any info on the error.
> >
> > Any help please?
> >
> > Edit: forgot to mention that i have updated the bios,done the ram
> > diagnostic
> > test and tried unplugging all hard drives and installing on each one
> > seperately(very time consuming)
> >

> It sounds like you may need to supply a SATA drive controller driver when
> doing a clean install. When you get to the screen where you configure the
> drives and partitions click on the Load Driver link and install the Vista
> SATA controller driver. Do this even if you see all your drives on that
> screen.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

kosmo

Re: vista install problem
Cant find any sata controller drivers apart from the nforce4 ones that nvidia
supply as a package with sound and chipset drivers.

That doesnt work.

As i stated in my post,i have already disconnected each hdd and connected
one by one and tried to install on each of them including the pata one.

I wish it would give me a clue to the problem instead of just telling me
that it cant do it,silly really.

> Cant find any sata controller drivers apart from the nforce4 ones that
> nvidia
> supply as a package with sound and chipset drivers.
>
> That doesnt work.
>
> As i stated in my post,i have already disconnected each hdd and connected
> one by one and tried to install on each of them including the pata one.
>
> I wish it would give me a clue to the problem instead of just telling me
> that it cant do it,silly really.

In the first post you said you updated the BIOS. This may have caused a
problem. Look in the ACPI settings in the BIOS. Look for settings that say
S1 or S3 and try changing them. I know it's a little vague but every BIOS
has different settings.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

kosmo

Re: vista install problem
Thanks Kerry, i unplugged everything,took a stick of ram out and changed the
acpi settings from s1&s3 to s1(it was the only option i had).

Anyway it worked!!!

Thank you so much

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "kosmo" <kosmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cant find any sata controller drivers apart from the nforce4 ones that
> > nvidia
> > supply as a package with sound and chipset drivers.
> >
> > That doesnt work.
> >
> > As i stated in my post,i have already disconnected each hdd and connected
> > one by one and tried to install on each of them including the pata one.
> >
> > I wish it would give me a clue to the problem instead of just telling me
> > that it cant do it,silly really.
> >

> In the first post you said you updated the BIOS. This may have caused a
> problem. Look in the ACPI settings in the BIOS. Look for settings that say
> S1 or S3 and try changing them. I know it's a little vague but every BIOS
> has different settings.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User