Shared Printer

joiner

Shared Printer
I have vista on a new Sony laptop, and windows XP Pro on my desktop, with a
Edimax Router, my printer is an Epson all in one USB, Epson Stylus CX6400, i
have set the printer software on both , and set them to share Printer, but
the laptop will not print, if i put the USB cable to the laptop and printer
it prints out, when i remove from the laptop and put it to the printer it
will not print,
Rick Rogers

Re: Shared Printer
Hi,

Attach the printer to the XP machine, then open the printers folder and
right click the entry for it and make sure that sharing is enabled. Then go
to the Vista laptop and open the printers folder, click file/add printer and
used the network option. It should detect the shared printer on the XP
machine, follow the prompts to install. If it doesn't detect it, try typing
\\<xp_machine_name>\<printer_name> into the path. The problem likely lies in
that on the laptop the OS thinks it's a locally connected printer and not a
network one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"joiner" <joiner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have vista on a new Sony laptop, and windows XP Pro on my desktop, with a
> Edimax Router, my printer is an Epson all in one USB, Epson Stylus CX6400,
> have set the printer software on both , and set them to share Printer, but
> the laptop will not print, if i put the USB cable to the laptop and
> printer
> it prints out, when i remove from the laptop and put it to the printer it
> will not print,

joiner

Re: Shared Printer
Hi Rick
Should i remove the printer from my laptop only i installed it with my
Epson printer and software diisk, then reboot then follow your instructions

Brian

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attach the printer to the XP machine, then open the printers folder and
> right click the entry for it and make sure that sharing is enabled. Then go
> to the Vista laptop and open the printers folder, click file/add printer and
> used the network option. It should detect the shared printer on the XP
> machine, follow the prompts to install. If it doesn't detect it, try typing
> \\<xp_machine_name>\<printer_name> into the path. The problem likely lies in
> that on the laptop the OS thinks it's a locally connected printer and not a
> network one.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "joiner" <joiner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have vista on a new Sony laptop, and windows XP Pro on my desktop, with a
> > Edimax Router, my printer is an Epson all in one USB, Epson Stylus CX6400,
> > have set the printer software on both , and set them to share Printer, but
> > the laptop will not print, if i put the USB cable to the laptop and
> > printer
> > it prints out, when i remove from the laptop and put it to the printer it
> > will not print,

Rick Rogers

Re: Shared Printer
Hi Brian,

There is no need to remove the existing printer (though you can if you
choose to), just add the network one and set it as default.

--

> Hi Rick
> Should i remove the printer from my laptop only i installed it with my
> Epson printer and software diisk, then reboot then follow your
> instructions
>
> Brian
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attach the printer to the XP machine, then open the printers folder and
>> right click the entry for it and make sure that sharing is enabled. Then
>> go
>> to the Vista laptop and open the printers folder, click file/add printer
>> and
>> used the network option. It should detect the shared printer on the XP
>> machine, follow the prompts to install. If it doesn't detect it, try
>> typing
>> \\<xp_machine_name>\<printer_name> into the path. The problem likely lies
>> in
>> that on the laptop the OS thinks it's a locally connected printer and not
>> network one.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "joiner" <joiner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have vista on a new Sony laptop, and windows XP Pro on my desktop,
>> >with a
>> > Edimax Router, my printer is an Epson all in one USB, Epson Stylus
>> > CX6400,
>> > have set the printer software on both , and set them to share Printer,
>> > but
>> > the laptop will not print, if i put the USB cable to the laptop and
>> > printer
>> > it prints out, when i remove from the laptop and put it to the printer
>> > it
>> > will not print,

joiner

Re: Shared Printer
Thank's Rick for the reply

Brian

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> There is no need to remove the existing printer (though you can if you
> choose to), just add the network one and set it as default.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "joiner" <joiner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick
> > Should i remove the printer from my laptop only i installed it with my
> > Epson printer and software diisk, then reboot then follow your
> > instructions
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Attach the printer to the XP machine, then open the printers folder and
> >> right click the entry for it and make sure that sharing is enabled. Then
> >> go
> >> to the Vista laptop and open the printers folder, click file/add printer
> >> and
> >> used the network option. It should detect the shared printer on the XP
> >> machine, follow the prompts to install. If it doesn't detect it, try
> >> typing
> >> \\<xp_machine_name>\<printer_name> into the path. The problem likely lies
> >> in
> >> that on the laptop the OS thinks it's a locally connected printer and not
> >> network one.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

joiner

Re: Shared Printer
Hi Rick
Done as you said, it installed my printer, run Epson vista driver i
downloaded, but it will not print, it put it on tiscali standard TCP/IP, so i
TICKED the box to put it on USB virtual printer port which it is on my
Tiscali , my printer is a all in one usb printer, so i pressed configure
port, but a box came up to sat not supported, so it looks like my EPSON Styus
CX6400 will not share with vista

Brian