Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut

Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
I have an access file that is 585 MB that is Typed as a Microsoft Office
Access Module Shortcut (.mad). Access 2003 will not open the file. How can
I change the typing to be the file and not a shortcut? I am on Vista Pro.

Thanks in advance.
JW

Re: Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
Have you tried changing .mad to .mdb?
"Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an access file that is 585 MB that is Typed as a Microsoft Office
> Access Module Shortcut (.mad). Access 2003 will not open the file. How
> can
> I change the typing to be the file and not a shortcut? I am on Vista Pro.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
I tried and in the document folder list the file does not show the extension,
though all of the other files in that folder do show their extenstions. When
I add ,mdb to the name the reult when I tried to open it the error message
says the filr is noe name.mdb.mad

Make any sense to anyone?

"JW" wrote:

> Have you tried changing .mad to .mdb?
> "Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an access file that is 585 MB that is Typed as a Microsoft Office
> > Access Module Shortcut (.mad). Access 2003 will not open the file. How
> > can
> > I change the typing to be the file and not a shortcut? I am on Vista Pro.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

JW

Re: Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
Make sure in Windows Explorer/tools/Folder options/ View that you do not
have hide extensions for known file types.

>I tried and in the document folder list the file does not show the
>extension,
> though all of the other files in that folder do show their extenstions.
> When
> I add ,mdb to the name the reult when I tried to open it the error message
> says the filr is noe name.mdb.mad
>
> Make any sense to anyone?
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried changing .mad to .mdb?
>> "Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an access file that is 585 MB that is Typed as a Microsoft Office
>> > Access Module Shortcut (.mad). Access 2003 will not open the file.
>> > How
>> > can
>> > I change the typing to be the file and not a shortcut? I am on Vista
>> > Pro.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

Re: Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
I reconfirmed it, "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

"JW" wrote:

> Make sure in Windows Explorer/tools/Folder options/ View that you do not
> have hide extensions for known file types.
>
> "Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried and in the document folder list the file does not show the
> >extension,
> > though all of the other files in that folder do show their extenstions.
> > When
> > I add ,mdb to the name the reult when I tried to open it the error message
> > says the filr is noe name.mdb.mad
> >
> > Make any sense to anyone?
> >
> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried changing .mad to .mdb?

JW

Re: Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
Then I do not understand how its extension got named xxxx.mdb.mad and not
just xxx.mdb when you changed it.

>I reconfirmed it, "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Make sure in Windows Explorer/tools/Folder options/ View that you do
>> not
>> have hide extensions for known file types.
>>
>> "Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried and in the document folder list the file does not show the
>> >extension,
>> > though all of the other files in that folder do show their extenstions.
>> > When
>> > I add ,mdb to the name the reult when I tried to open it the error
>> > message
>> > says the filr is noe name.mdb.mad
>> >
>> > Make any sense to anyone?

Re: Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
I agree. That is why I am looking for help. It is no making sense to me.

"JW" wrote:

> Then I do not understand how its extension got named xxxx.mdb.mad and not
> just xxx.mdb when you changed it.
>
> "Q" <Q@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I reconfirmed it, "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.
> >
> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> Make sure in Windows Explorer/tools/Folder options/ View that you do
> >> not
> >> have hide extensions for known file types.

JW

Re: Access File Mistakenly typed as a Access Shortcut
What happens when you try to change the name of the file from XXX.mdb.mad
to just XXX.mdb?