Installation Hangs

Leigh

Installation Hangs
Trying Vista Home Basic Upgrade..system in brief is a Dual Core2.8, 2gb Ram,
ATA HD, x1950 pro graphics card...
I have tried to upgrade in two ways:
1 - Upgrading from windows & dowbloading the latest setup files: this goes
fine until the system tries to re-boot, then the system will hang when the
windows progress bar is on the screen. Sometimes the system will re-boot
sometimes just lock. I have tried leaving the system for in excess of 10
hours when it appeared to be locked. I have also tried removing all
unneccesary hardware, and reduced the system to one stick of RAM
2 - Booting from the DVD for a clean install: I get the windows is loading
files grey progress bar, then the same problem when the system gets the
windows progress bar
Rick Rogers

Re: Installation Hangs
Hi Leigh,

Some thoughts: What motherboard? Is there a BIOS update available for it?
Did you disable boot time protection in the BIOS? Also, when upgrading, any
existing antivirus software should be uninstalled (not just disabled, but
totally removed).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Leigh" <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying Vista Home Basic Upgrade..system in brief is a Dual Core2.8, 2gb
> Ram,
> ATA HD, x1950 pro graphics card...
> I have tried to upgrade in two ways:
> 1 - Upgrading from windows & dowbloading the latest setup files: this goes
> fine until the system tries to re-boot, then the system will hang when the
> windows progress bar is on the screen. Sometimes the system will re-boot
> sometimes just lock. I have tried leaving the system for in excess of 10
> hours when it appeared to be locked. I have also tried removing all
> unneccesary hardware, and reduced the system to one stick of RAM
> 2 - Booting from the DVD for a clean install: I get the windows is loading
> files grey progress bar, then the same problem when the system gets the
> windows progress bar

Leigh

Re: Installation Hangs
MB is an ECS 865PE board running the intel ICH5 chipset. I already downloaded
a BIOS update from the vendor's site, although i havnt downloaded one from
pheonix..of course this may be more current than the vendors.
As far as I am aware that option isnt in the BIOS though I will check again

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Leigh,
>
> Some thoughts: What motherboard? Is there a BIOS update available for it?
> Did you disable boot time protection in the BIOS? Also, when upgrading, any
> existing antivirus software should be uninstalled (not just disabled, but
> totally removed).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Leigh" <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying Vista Home Basic Upgrade..system in brief is a Dual Core2.8, 2gb
> > Ram,
> > ATA HD, x1950 pro graphics card...
> > I have tried to upgrade in two ways:
> > 1 - Upgrading from windows & dowbloading the latest setup files: this goes
> > fine until the system tries to re-boot, then the system will hang when the
> > windows progress bar is on the screen. Sometimes the system will re-boot
> > sometimes just lock. I have tried leaving the system for in excess of 10
> > hours when it appeared to be locked. I have also tried removing all
> > unneccesary hardware, and reduced the system to one stick of RAM
> > 2 - Booting from the DVD for a clean install: I get the windows is loading
> > files grey progress bar, then the same problem when the system gets the
> > windows progress bar

Rick Rogers

Re: Installation Hangs
Hi Leigh,

You might want to check with ECS on the compatibility of that chipset with
Vista.

--

newsFB1F39D-1CA4-4513-A4D1-56DD340A649D@microsoft.com...
> MB is an ECS 865PE board running the intel ICH5 chipset. I already
> downloaded
> a BIOS update from the vendor's site, although i havnt downloaded one from
> pheonix..of course this may be more current than the vendors.
> As far as I am aware that option isnt in the BIOS though I will check
> again
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Leigh,
>>
>> Some thoughts: What motherboard? Is there a BIOS update available for it?
>> Did you disable boot time protection in the BIOS? Also, when upgrading,
>> any
>> existing antivirus software should be uninstalled (not just disabled, but
>> totally removed).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Leigh" <Leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Trying Vista Home Basic Upgrade..system in brief is a Dual Core2.8, 2gb
>> > Ram,
>> > ATA HD, x1950 pro graphics card...
>> > I have tried to upgrade in two ways:
>> > 1 - Upgrading from windows & dowbloading the latest setup files: this
>> > goes
>> > fine until the system tries to re-boot, then the system will hang when
>> > the
>> > windows progress bar is on the screen. Sometimes the system will
>> > re-boot
>> > sometimes just lock. I have tried leaving the system for in excess of
>> > 10
>> > hours when it appeared to be locked. I have also tried removing all
>> > unneccesary hardware, and reduced the system to one stick of RAM
>> > 2 - Booting from the DVD for a clean install: I get the windows is
>> > files grey progress bar, then the same problem when the system gets the
>> > windows progress bar

Bill Davis

RE: Installation Hangs
Leigh

Try removing all PCI cards with the exception of the video card. If it
installs successfully run Windows Update until Vista is fully patched. Then
reinstall each card one by one. I had the same type of problem for days.
This was the only way I was able to install Vista Ultimate.

One of my PCI cards was being mistakenly identified as hard disk controller
causing the installer to crash.

B.D.