Windows Activation Blunder

Scutterboy

Windows Activation Blunder
I had to reset the CMOS on my mainboard after enabling Cool and Quiet.
Windows detected a significant change and wants me to activate again in the
next 3 days. It won't let me automatically re-activate. Which is how I
ended up here.

This is a deliberate suggestion rather than posting a question asking how to
fix it.
The Activation trigger is far too sensitive it shouldn't trip just by
tinkering with the BIOS there is no new hardware in my system.

I'll try to call automatic MS tomorrow but I shouldn't have to work this hard.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup
Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Activation Blunder
Use the phone activation

--
Peter

"Scutterboy" <Scutterboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:589C2251-AAA1-48DD-8035-08B6E5599B39@microsoft.com...
>I had to reset the CMOS on my mainboard after enabling Cool and Quiet.
> Windows detected a significant change and wants me to activate again in the
> next 3 days. It won't let me automatically re-activate. Which is how I
> ended up here.
>
> This is a deliberate suggestion rather than posting a question asking how to
> fix it.
> The Activation trigger is far too sensitive it shouldn't trip just by
> tinkering with the BIOS there is no new hardware in my system.
>
> I'll try to call automatic MS tomorrow but I shouldn't have to work this hard.
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Activation Blunder
Hi,

I agree with your assessment, and I wish there was a better answer. However,
at least right now, activation has been triggered by things as simple as a
BIOS update or updated driver install.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Scutterboy" <Scutterboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reset the CMOS on my mainboard after enabling Cool and Quiet.
> Windows detected a significant change and wants me to activate again in
> the
> next 3 days. It won't let me automatically re-activate. Which is how I
> ended up here.
>
> This is a deliberate suggestion rather than posting a question asking how
> fix it.
> The Activation trigger is far too sensitive it shouldn't trip just by
> tinkering with the BIOS there is no new hardware in my system.
>
> I'll try to call automatic MS tomorrow but I shouldn't have to work this
> hard.
>

> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Windows Activation Blunder
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:56:21 -0400, "Peter Foldes"

>Use the phone activation

Why should he have to? I voted Yes on this one.

Product activation is supposed to detect when the same license is used
on a different computer. This is is not a different computer; in
fact, it hasn't had a single hardware component removed, added or
changed. So why should he be payloaded, and have to phone and beg?

We're assured it's OK to have a user-hostile payload built into the OS
because it won't go off by accident. Join the dots...

>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

The rights you save may be your own
>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Trumpster

"Scutterboy" wrote:

> I had to reset the CMOS on my mainboard after enabling Cool and Quiet.
> Windows detected a significant change and wants me to activate again in the
> next 3 days. It won't let me automatically re-activate. Which is how I
> ended up here.
>
> This is a deliberate suggestion rather than posting a question asking how to
> fix it.
> The Activation trigger is far too sensitive it shouldn't trip just by
> tinkering with the BIOS there is no new hardware in my system.
>
> I'll try to call automatic MS tomorrow but I shouldn't have to work this hard.
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...allation_setup

I know exactly how you feel; I updated my BIOS just the other day and now I
have to call someone in India who I can barely understand so I can continue
using my Vista with "full functionality." I feel that this system of
"detecting" when the OS has been installed on a "different" computer is
highly flawed....since not a single piece of hardware was changed on my
system either but I was still prompted to re-activate my Windows. I'm
reluctant to call and activate my Windows again tonight because I have a new
video card coming on Friday and I'm afraid I'm going to have to go through
this whole ordeal again!

For those of us who didn't buy OEM I suppose that this is a headache that we
are stuck with until MS can come up with a fix for it. I tried to download
and install the fix/update/patch to fix the issue but when I downloaded it
and tried to install it, it simply told me that "The update does not apply to
your system" Yay for broken patches! If a "yes" vote is saying that Vista's
activation and piracy prevention is a complete blunder, then I vote yes...at
least for now. *sigh* Let's all cross our fingers that SP1 fixes some of the
issues we're having.