uninstall vista

debbie

uninstall vista
How do you uninstall vista? I want to go back to win XP.
Thanks, Debbie
koze

Re: uninstall vista
Boot from the XP CD, delete the current partition Vista is on.

Let set-up from XP recreate and format the partition and continue the
install.

Ko

"debbie" <debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> How do you uninstall vista? I want to go back to win XP.
> Thanks, Debbie

Rick Rogers

Re: uninstall vista
Hi,

Koze has given you the standard procedure, as there is no uninstall of an
upgrade to Vista, nor can you simply install XP over it. If you still have a
windows.old folder from an upgrade, you can also try the steps here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"debbie" <debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you uninstall vista? I want to go back to win XP.
> Thanks, Debbie

debbie

Re: uninstall vista
It is not an upgrade. It is a new system with vista installed and I want to
put xp on it.
Debbie

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Koze has given you the standard procedure, as there is no uninstall of an
> upgrade to Vista, nor can you simply install XP over it. If you still have a
> windows.old folder from an upgrade, you can also try the steps here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "debbie" <debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do you uninstall vista? I want to go back to win XP.
> > Thanks, Debbie

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: uninstall vista
Points to bear in mind before doing this..

1. you will need to buy your own version of XP.

2. if you install XP, you will most likely not be able to pursue any
warranty claim unless you have left yourself a way to reinstall Vista before
sending the machine in for warranty repair.

3. to get over #2, you will have to ensure that you have a 'working' image
of Vista, or you will have to install XP on another drive, putting your
Vista drive in a safe place until required.

4. If the hardware is very new technology, XP drivers may not be available
for it.

For the sake of a few days acclimatizing to Vista, all of the above steps
are time consuming and/or expensive.. if you have a piece of hardware, a
scanner or printer maybe, that does not work with Vista, it may well be more
time and cost effective to replace the item than to try to revert back to
XP..

The same applies to a software program..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User