Should I install 64-bit OS

Nick

Should I install 64-bit OS
I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".

My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.

I intend to install a limited number of apps:
- Office Professional 2007
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on my
XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
- Some printers and scanners
- Blackberry desktop

The AV I will be using is NOD32.

I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Brett I. Holcomb

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Will these apps run on 64 bit and does 64 bit have the drivers for your
hardware - drivers can be a big issue.

Nick wrote:
> I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
> computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
> Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".
>
> My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
> has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.
>
> I intend to install a limited number of apps:
> - Office Professional 2007
> - Adobe Reader
> - Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on my
> XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
> group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
> - Some printers and scanners
> - Blackberry desktop
>
> The AV I will be using is NOD32.
>
> I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Charles W Davis

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Forget about the system having the "smarts to determine it is ok for my
hardware platform. At this stage no way! Have you downloaded and run the
Microsoft Upgrade Advisor? It is the program that has the "smarts" that you
are looking for.
"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
> computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
> Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".
>
> My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
> has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.
>
> I intend to install a limited number of apps:
> - Office Professional 2007
> - Adobe Reader
> - Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on
> my
> XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
> group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
> - Some printers and scanners
> - Blackberry desktop
>
> The AV I will be using is NOD32.
>
> I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Go for 32bit.. compatibility is not such an issue.. and you have no mission
critical 64bit applications..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Nick

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Thank you.

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> Go for 32bit.. compatibility is not such an issue.. and you have no mission
> critical 64bit applications..
>

> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
> > computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
> > Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".
> >
> > My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
> > has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.
> >
> > I intend to install a limited number of apps:
> > - Office Professional 2007
> > - Adobe Reader
> > - Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on
> > my
> > XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
> > group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
> > - Some printers and scanners
> > - Blackberry desktop
> >
> > The AV I will be using is NOD32.
> >
> > I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Nick

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Thanks Charles.

I have just taken the laptop out of the box ... so I've done nothing to it
(ie haven't run Upgrade Advisor). I was looking for advise on 32 vs 64 bit
.... not any system smarts at this stage.

"Charles W Davis" wrote:

> Forget about the system having the "smarts to determine it is ok for my
> hardware platform. At this stage no way! Have you downloaded and run the
> Microsoft Upgrade Advisor? It is the program that has the "smarts" that you
> are looking for.
> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
> > computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
> > Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".
> >
> > My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
> > has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.
> >
> > I intend to install a limited number of apps:
> > - Office Professional 2007
> > - Adobe Reader
> > - Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on
> > my
> > XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
> > group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
> > - Some printers and scanners
> > - Blackberry desktop
> >
> > The AV I will be using is NOD32.
> >
> > I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
No, you should stick with the 32-bit version. Unless you need to support
64-bit software or use more then 4gb of RAM there is no benefit in running
the 64-bit version of Windows.

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
> computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
> Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".
>
> My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
> has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.
>
> I intend to install a limited number of apps:
> - Office Professional 2007
> - Adobe Reader
> - Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on
> my
> XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
> group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
> - Some printers and scanners
> - Blackberry desktop
>
> The AV I will be using is NOD32.
>
> I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Nick

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Thanks Richard.

I'm going down the 32-bit path. It seems that the computer comes with a
whole lot of software pre-loaded (don't know if it is Vista or HP). For
example, Norton is pre-loaded but I'm going to go with NOD32.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> No, you should stick with the 32-bit version. Unless you need to support
> 64-bit software or use more then 4gb of RAM there is no benefit in running
> the 64-bit version of Windows.

> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
> > computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
> > Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".
> >
> > My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
> > has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.
> >
> > I intend to install a limited number of apps:
> > - Office Professional 2007
> > - Adobe Reader
> > - Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on
> > my
> > XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
> > group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
> > - Some printers and scanners
> > - Blackberry desktop
> >
> > The AV I will be using is NOD32.
> >
> > I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

darklex

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Hi

I have V64 Ultimate and have to say that although I love the ability to run
more than 4gb of RAM (see my other posts) the practical difficulty of getting
everything to work together outweighs the benefits (which I'm sad about as I
think we should all move to 64b as soon as possible to use more RAM).

Also, I just got an iPhone and it turns out it's incompatible w V64, on V32.

dl

"Nick" wrote:

> Thanks Richard.
>
> I'm going down the 32-bit path. It seems that the computer comes with a
> whole lot of software pre-loaded (don't know if it is Vista or HP). For
> example, Norton is pre-loaded but I'm going to go with NOD32.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
> > No, you should stick with the 32-bit version. Unless you need to support
> > 64-bit software or use more then 4gb of RAM there is no benefit in running
> > the 64-bit version of Windows.
> >
> > --
> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have recently purchased a HP nx9420 with 2G RAM. When I turned on the
> > > computer for the fist time, it asks me to select between "English Windows
> > > Vista Business Edition (x64)" or "English Windows Vista Business Edition".
> > >
> > > My natural instincts are to go for the x64 .. because I presume the system
> > > has the smarts to determine it is ok for my hardware platform.
> > >
> > > I intend to install a limited number of apps:
> > > - Office Professional 2007
> > > - Adobe Reader
> > > - Adobe Professional 8.0 (although I'm having lots of problems with it on
> > > my
> > > XP since Adobe provided an upgrade to 8.1 ... there is a long discussion
> > > group on an adobe forum on that one!!)
> > > - Some printers and scanners
> > > - Blackberry desktop
> > >
> > > The AV I will be using is NOD32.
> > >
> > > I'd be interested in any thoughts, tips, etc.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Should I install 64-bit OS
Seeing more RAM is not necessarily using more RAM..