Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office

Peter Gorman

Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
I have been running MS Office Small Business 2007 under Vista Home Premium on
a Dell Dimension DXP061 quite successfully for 2 or 3 months now - until
today. Suddenly, none of my Excel files will open. I notice that excel.exe
in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' is now of length zero bytes.
I have tried to re-install MS Office from CD. The setup process starts but
quickly fails with a very unhelpful message of the form 'Setup has stopped
working ....'
MS Word is still working OK.
I'm not quite sure of the next step. If I uninstall MS Office completely
and I still can't re-install it, then my PC is in an even worse state.
I would be grateful of any suggestions.
--
Peter Gorman
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
You should ask this in an Excel/Office newsgroup:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

I would uninstall Office and then reinstall Office.
If that causes problems, there are bigger problems than Excel and
Office and you may need to solve them..

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Peter Gorman" <quintessence(CutThisOut)@ntlworld.com> wrote in
message news:7C7210EE-5C8D-4B63-A64A-97205C551165@microsoft.com...
>I have been running MS Office Small Business 2007 under Vista Home
>Premium on
> a Dell Dimension DXP061 quite successfully for 2 or 3 months now -
> until
> today. Suddenly, none of my Excel files will open. I notice that
> excel.exe
> in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' is now of length
> zero bytes.
> I have tried to re-install MS Office from CD. The setup process
> starts but
> quickly fails with a very unhelpful message of the form 'Setup has
> stopped
> working ....'
> MS Word is still working OK.
> I'm not quite sure of the next step. If I uninstall MS Office
> completely
> and I still can't re-install it, then my PC is in an even worse
> state.
> I would be grateful of any suggestions.
> --
> Peter Gorman

Richard Urban

Re: Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
Put in the Office CD. Run setup. You will be given an option to repair your
present installation.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Peter Gorman" <quintessence(CutThisOut)@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have been running MS Office Small Business 2007 under Vista Home Premium
>on
> a Dell Dimension DXP061 quite successfully for 2 or 3 months now - until
> today. Suddenly, none of my Excel files will open. I notice that
> excel.exe
> in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' is now of length zero
> bytes.
> I have tried to re-install MS Office from CD. The setup process starts
> but
> quickly fails with a very unhelpful message of the form 'Setup has stopped
> working ....'
> MS Word is still working OK.
> I'm not quite sure of the next step. If I uninstall MS Office completely
> and I still can't re-install it, then my PC is in an even worse state.
> I would be grateful of any suggestions.
> --
> Peter Gorman

Peter Gorman

Re: Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
I tried re-installing, but I get the 'Setup has stopped working ....' failure
message beforeI get any choice of options.

--
Peter Gorman

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Put in the Office CD. Run setup. You will be given an option to repair your
> present installation.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Peter Gorman" <quintessence(CutThisOut)@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >I have been running MS Office Small Business 2007 under Vista Home Premium
> >on
> > a Dell Dimension DXP061 quite successfully for 2 or 3 months now - until
> > today. Suddenly, none of my Excel files will open. I notice that
> > excel.exe
> > in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' is now of length zero
> > bytes.
> > I have tried to re-install MS Office from CD. The setup process starts
> > but
> > quickly fails with a very unhelpful message of the form 'Setup has stopped
> > working ....'
> > MS Word is still working OK.
> > I'm not quite sure of the next step. If I uninstall MS Office completely
> > and I still can't re-install it, then my PC is in an even worse state.
> > I would be grateful of any suggestions.
> > --
> > Peter Gorman

Peter Gorman

Re: Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
I did try un-installing MS Office but that process failed half-way through -
which is why I thought I had a Vista system problem rather than a
straightforward MS Office problem.
--
Peter Gorman

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> You should ask this in an Excel/Office newsgroup:
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>
> I would uninstall Office and then reinstall Office.
> If that causes problems, there are bigger problems than Excel and
> Office and you may need to solve them..
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Peter Gorman" <quintessence(CutThisOut)@ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message news:7C7210EE-5C8D-4B63-A64A-97205C551165@microsoft.com...
> >I have been running MS Office Small Business 2007 under Vista Home
> >Premium on
> > a Dell Dimension DXP061 quite successfully for 2 or 3 months now -
> > until
> > today. Suddenly, none of my Excel files will open. I notice that
> > excel.exe
> > in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' is now of length
> > zero bytes.
> > I have tried to re-install MS Office from CD. The setup process
> > starts but
> > quickly fails with a very unhelpful message of the form 'Setup has
> > stopped
> > working ....'
> > MS Word is still working OK.
> > I'm not quite sure of the next step. If I uninstall MS Office
> > completely
> > and I still can't re-install it, then my PC is in an even worse
> > state.
> > I would be grateful of any suggestions.
> > --
> > Peter Gorman

tuchong

RE: Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
read following pages

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/

"Peter Gorman" wrote:

> I have been running MS Office Small Business 2007 under Vista Home Premium on
> a Dell Dimension DXP061 quite successfully for 2 or 3 months now - until
> today. Suddenly, none of my Excel files will open. I notice that excel.exe
> in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' is now of length zero bytes.
> I have tried to re-install MS Office from CD. The setup process starts but
> quickly fails with a very unhelpful message of the form 'Setup has stopped
> working ....'
> MS Word is still working OK.
> I'm not quite sure of the next step. If I uninstall MS Office completely
> and I still can't re-install it, then my PC is in an even worse state.
> I would be grateful of any suggestions.
> --
> Peter Gorman

tuchong

RE: Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
after fixing, remove Office and reinstall Office

"tuchong" wrote:

> read following pages
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/
>
> "Peter Gorman" wrote:
>
> > I have been running MS Office Small Business 2007 under Vista Home Premium on
> > a Dell Dimension DXP061 quite successfully for 2 or 3 months now - until
> > today. Suddenly, none of my Excel files will open. I notice that excel.exe
> > in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12' is now of length zero bytes.
> > I have tried to re-install MS Office from CD. The setup process starts but
> > quickly fails with a very unhelpful message of the form 'Setup has stopped
> > working ....'
> > MS Word is still working OK.
> > I'm not quite sure of the next step. If I uninstall MS Office completely
> > and I still can't re-install it, then my PC is in an even worse state.
> > I would be grateful of any suggestions.
> > --
> > Peter Gorman

tuchong

RE: Lost MS Excel, can't re-install MS Office
removing office at control panel