Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?

white lightning

Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
I installed XP in a separate partition on my new laptop that initially
had Vista Business installed. I haven't touched Vista partition. It
was on C: drive. My XP is on D: drive. When I start my computer, I am
directly taken to XP. When I press F8 during boot-up, I do not see
Vista on the bootloader list. Is it possible to bring it back on the
bootloader so that I can still use it?

And also I'd like to know how to downgrade Vista to XP. What I have
written above, is that downgrading? Or is downgrading means something
else?

Thanks!!

Wiley C

RE: Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
When 2 operating systems are installed on a computer, on separate hard drives
or different partitions of 1 hard drive, you have what is called dual
booting.

Please provide the exact error message you receive.

WC

"white lightning" wrote:

> I installed XP in a separate partition on my new laptop that initially
> had Vista Business installed. I haven't touched Vista partition. It
> was on C: drive. My XP is on D: drive. When I start my computer, I am
> directly taken to XP. When I press F8 during boot-up, I do not see
> Vista on the bootloader list. Is it possible to bring it back on the
> bootloader so that I can still use it?
>
> And also I'd like to know how to downgrade Vista to XP. What I have
> written above, is that downgrading? Or is downgrading means something
> else?
>
> Thanks!!

white lightning

On Jul 1, 7:02 pm, Wiley C <Wil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> When 2 operating systems are installed on a computer, on separate hard drives
> or different partitions of 1 hard drive, you have what is called dual
> booting.
>
> Please provide the exact error message you receive.

Yes I am referring to the dual booting.When I press F8 to select
operating systems from dual booting menu, Vista is not there.

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
How did you install XP on your computer, and how did you create the extra
partition?
You normally install the older OS first, in this case XP on the size
partition that you want; then install Vista on a 2nd partition.
Most computers come with 2 partitions these days; the 2nd partition holding
Vista's system recovery files.

"white lightning" wrote:

> I installed XP in a separate partition on my new laptop that initially
> had Vista Business installed. I haven't touched Vista partition. It
> was on C: drive. My XP is on D: drive. When I start my computer, I am
> directly taken to XP. When I press F8 during boot-up, I do not see
> Vista on the bootloader list. Is it possible to bring it back on the
> bootloader so that I can still use it?
>
> And also I'd like to know how to downgrade Vista to XP. What I have
> written above, is that downgrading? Or is downgrading means something
> else?
>
> Thanks!!

white lightning

Re: Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
On Jul 1, 9:06 pm, Mick Murphy <MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> How did you install XP on your computer, and how did you create the extra
> partition?
> You normally install the older OS first, in this case XP on the size
> partition that you want; then install Vista on a 2nd partition.
> Most computers come with 2 partitions these days; the 2nd partition holding
> Vista's system recovery files.

My laptop came with Vista Business installed in it. I partitioned the
C: drive that contains Vista system files using XP installation CD. I
did not touch the other partition that had vista recovery files or
whatever it is. I then installed XP Professional on the new partition.

harrykrishna.nospam@online.ie

Re: Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
I think that when you installed XP it overwrote the Vista boot stuff
since it doesn't know anything about Vista.

Try booting with your Vista DVD and choosing the repair option that
comes up. I can't remember what it's called but something like
repairing boot options. It also indicates that you may have to boot
more than once with the DVD to complete the recovery...

HTH

white lightning <crescent_au@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jul 1, 9:06 pm, Mick Murphy <MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote:
>> How did you install XP on your computer, and how did you create the extra
>> partition?
>> You normally install the older OS first, in this case XP on the size
>> partition that you want; then install Vista on a 2nd partition.
>> Most computers come with 2 partitions these days; the 2nd partition holding
>> Vista's system recovery files.
>>

>My laptop came with Vista Business installed in it. I partitioned the
>C: drive that contains Vista system files using XP installation CD. I
>did not touch the other partition that had vista recovery files or
>whatever it is. I then installed XP Professional on the new partition.

Ha««y

HarryKrishna.nospam@online.ie
Roedy Green

Re: Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:42:53 -0700, white lightning
<crescent_au@yahoo.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bootmanager.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
...winston

Re: Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
How did you resize the partition to create available space to install XP.
Based on your current description and the use of the XP CD, it appears that
you may have wiped Vista Business to install XP, if so Vista would not be
present nor would a dual boot loader.

Here's some background information on resizing a drive
http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_05.htm

news:1183288638.211627.161770@i38g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...

On Jul 2, 2:41 pm, "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote:
> How did you resize the partition to create available space to install XP.
> Based on your current description and the use of the XP CD, it appears that
> you may have wiped Vista Business to install XP, if so Vista would not be
> present nor would a dual boot loader.

I still have C: drive that contains all the Vista files intact. Vista
hasn't been overwritten.

...winston

Re: Vista disappears from boot loader. How to bring it back?
Let me ask again..
How did you resize the drive to create available space to install XP ?
..winston

: