Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation

Astrof

Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation
Ok, so Ive been trying to install vista for a while now, starting with the
betas and RCs. I gave up on them, but finally go the full, real version. I
tried installing vista, but its not booting. I think it got stuck halfway
through installation (at the part where it restarts?). Apparantly there seems
to be an old bootloader, and it thinks that the installation completed. Well,
now I cannot roll back and cannot complete the installation. Why cant vista
upgrade properly? What can i do to fix the problem? can i manually install
the missing files? (for example it says winload.exe is mssing). Grr.......
Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation

"Astrof" <Astrof@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, so Ive been trying to install vista for a while now, starting with the
> betas and RCs. I gave up on them, but finally go the full, real version. I
> tried installing vista, but its not booting. I think it got stuck halfway
> through installation (at the part where it restarts?). Apparantly there
> seems
> to be an old bootloader, and it thinks that the installation completed.
> Well,
> now I cannot roll back and cannot complete the installation. Why cant
> vista
> upgrade properly? What can i do to fix the problem? can i manually install
> the missing files? (for example it says winload.exe is mssing). Grr.......

Well, the first thing you should have done was your homework to determine if
the machine was strong enough to run Vista. That's where people start
running into problems with Vista out of the gate.

The second thing is you don't upgrade Vista over a non Vista O/S, because
that's trouble. You should just boot off of the install CD/DVD, format the
HD and lay down Vista fresh.

...winston

Re: Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation
Many have successfully installed Vista as an upgrade(the way its designed to be installed when an upgrade version is purchased).

To echo another thread "Why post incorrect, misleading answers to the forum???

....w

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message news:OuKUoB6uHHA.668@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
.. You should just boot off of the install CD/DVD, format the
: HD and lay down Vista fresh.
:
:

"...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
Many have successfully installed Vista as an upgrade(the way its designed to
be installed when an upgrade version is purchased).

-------

And there have many who have not successfully installed Vista as an upgrade.

To echo another thread "Why post incorrect, misleading answers to the
forum???

-----

The information is not incorrect, if you would pull your head out from
whatever holes you have it buried.

To echo my experience about my usage of an upgrade of a Windows O/S over an
existing one is nothing but pure trouble. And I have been working with the
MS O/S(s), since 1996, professionally. And if one has got any sense, he or
she should just wipe the machine out and lay down the O/S fresh.

The OP can do what he or she wants to do, but I have seen too many posts
about I have upgraded over the top of XP and I got troubles. You can't
convence me otherwise.

...winston

Re: Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation
"Convencing" you is not relevant.
Informing others with correct information is.
Upgrades rarely fail due to xp or Vista, but hardware, drivers, and software not being compatible with the intended new o/s which when present a clean install may offer no more and in many cases even less chance of success.

Clean installs are the preference of many...though wiping a machine may not be practical and in everyone's best interest due to the unfortunate and predominant oem market that provides software without media for reinstallation.

Its easy to spout about what one should do and question peoples lack of sense..just as understanding the bigger picture allows one to pull their head out a hole and provide better advice.
...winston

:
: -------
:
: -----
:
: The information is not incorrect, if you would pull your head out from
: whatever holes you have it buried.
:
: To echo my experience about my usage of an upgrade of a Windows O/S over an
: existing one is nothing but pure trouble. And I have been working with the
: MS O/S(s), since 1996, professionally. And if one has got any sense, he or
: she should just wipe the machine out and lay down the O/S fresh.
:
: The OP can do what he or she wants to do, but I have seen too many posts
: about I have upgraded over the top of XP and I got troubles. You can't
: convence me otherwise.
:
:
:
:
Richard Urban

Re: Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation
A fact.

I have installed Vista on over 150 computers for different customers since
November. They range from a new computer build to computers that are 4-5
years old. Each install has been a clean install. I do not deal in upgrades.
I have had exactly one (1) problem and that was due to a faulty hard drive.
A new drive easily corrected the problem.

Of course, I do evaluate the computer for competency and compatibility. I
have denied more than a few people my services due to sub-standard
equipment.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

[...]

Richard,
You're comments and input are always appreciated.

My preference like yours is for a clean install.

Not every home user has the ability, desire, intent, or funds to pay someone to do work on an OEM unit with an existing qualifying o/s. Upgrades for many are the only route. Actual sales numbers of upgrades vs. full retail versions of Vista are unclear since official data is based on licenses instead of full vs upgrade. Even without that information one would be making a less than uneducated guess to suggest that full versions outrank upgrades(demographically or on a global scale) or that a clean install was the predominant route of all successful installations. Does a clean install have its advantages, certainly; is it the norm..I doubt it.

We can all hypothesize why Msft left the back door clean install approach for upgrade versions...though one would be hard pressed to convince any of us that a primary reason was for all Vista upgrade versions to follow that non-Msft-documented approach to effect a successful Vista installation.

...winston

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23KX6CJBvHHA.4784@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
:A fact.
:
: I have installed Vista on over 150 computers for different customers since
: November. They range from a new computer build to computers that are 4-5
: years old. Each install has been a clean install. I do not deal in upgrades.
: I have had exactly one (1) problem and that was due to a faulty hard drive.
: A new drive easily corrected the problem.
:
: Of course, I do evaluate the computer for competency and compatibility. I
: have denied more than a few people my services due to sub-standard
: equipment.
:
: --
:
:
: Regards,
:
: Richard Urban
: Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
: (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
:
:
:
[...]
::
:: "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
:: news:u1fHDh6uHHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
:: Many have successfully installed Vista as an upgrade(the way its designed
:: be installed when an upgrade version is purchased).
::
:: -------
::
:: And there have many who have not successfully installed Vista as an
: upgrade.
::
:: To echo another thread "Why post incorrect, misleading answers to the
:: forum???
::
:: -----
::
[...]

I am not going to bother with you or read it as you are not worth a
discussion about this, and you need to just move on, because you're not
talking about anything.

Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation

>A fact.
>
> I have installed Vista on over 150 computers for different customers since
> November. They range from a new computer build to computers that are 4-5
> years old. Each install has been a clean install. I do not deal in
> upgrades. I have had exactly one (1) problem and that was due to a faulty
> hard drive. A new drive easily corrected the problem.
>
> Of course, I do evaluate the computer for competency and compatibility. I
> have denied more than a few people my services due to sub-standard
> equipment.

I don't have anything against the person. He just happens to be someone that
can't mind his own business. And to me, he has not been down in the
trenches with this stuff. I have seen the upgrade over the years look like
it was fine, only to have to have to turn around and wipe it out later, due
to things just were not right.

You know what the deal is with this stuff. Once I get back to a BB
connection for the speed, I am going to take the CD/DVD upgrade for Vista
Ultimate over Home Premium that I did, boot from the CD/DVD, format the HD
and lay down fresh Vista fresh, whipping out all of this preinstalled crap
that's on the machine and install what I need to be there.

Peter Foldes

Re: Vista Installation incomplete...died halfway through installation
Mr. Arnold

> And to me, he has not been down in the trenches with this stuff.

And you would be very surprised about that remark above with this person. I think the above statement that you made will work in reverse on you

--
Peter