Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit

Mark

Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit
Hi there.

I purchased Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium today at Office Depot. When I
got home, I noticed (before opening the package) that I had the 32 bit
version, and since I have a 64-bit processor I wanted the 64-bit version. I
went back to the store to return it.

The guy at Office Depot told me the package that I bought is fine, that I
could go online and download what I needed to convert to the 64-bit version,
but I can't seem to find any information on how to do this.

Can anyone help? Where can I download this?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit
You may well have 64bit hardware, but you are best to run Vista 32bit unless
you are running a 64bit application that is mission critical to your
operation..

The Office Depot guy will probably get a raise for convincing you that it is
possible to download the 64bit bits to convert a 32bit OS.. however, do not
be too hard on him.. he has saved you much heartache..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Mark

Re: Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Could you give me some more detail? Why is the 32-bit
version better even if I have 64-bit hardware?

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> You may well have 64bit hardware, but you are best to run Vista 32bit unless
> you are running a 64bit application that is mission critical to your
> operation..
>
> The Office Depot guy will probably get a raise for convincing you that it is
> possible to download the 64bit bits to convert a 32bit OS.. however, do not
> be too hard on him.. he has saved you much heartache..
>
> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I purchased Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium today at Office Depot. When
> > got home, I noticed (before opening the package) that I had the 32 bit
> > version, and since I have a 64-bit processor I wanted the 64-bit version.
> > went back to the store to return it.
> >
> > The guy at Office Depot told me the package that I bought is fine, that I
> > could go online and download what I needed to convert to the 64-bit
> > version,
> > but I can't seem to find any information on how to do this.
> >
> > Can anyone help? Where can I download this?

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

PvdG42

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Could you give me some more detail? Why is the
> 32-bit
> version better even if I have 64-bit hardware?

From a practical standpoint, there is no advantage to running the 64 bit
version unless you *need* to. Mike gave you one potential reason, that you
need to run applications that are 64 bit only and require a 64 bit OS (very
rare, BTW). Another possible reason is that you plan on running more than 4
Gigabytes of memory (again, most desktop PC's have no need whatsoever for
more than 4 Gig).
The negatives of dealing with a 64 bit OS are primarily associated with
driver availability. If you really do intend to send away to Microsoft for
the 64 bit version media (the guy at Office Depot is full of it. You can't
download the 64 bit version), you should first be sure that there are 64 bit
Vista drivers available for your motherboard, its chipset, and for all other
hardware devices you plan to use with the PC. You'll probably not have
driver issues with 32 bit Vista, but you are *very* likely to have driver
issues with 64 bit Vista.
FWIW, there's also no performance advantage to running a 64 bit OS when
almost all your apps are 32 bit.

Roedy Green

Re: Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:24:00 -0700, Mark
<Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>The guy at Office Depot told me the package that I bought is fine, that I
>could go online and download what I needed to convert to the 64-bit version,
>but I can't seem to find any information on how to do this.

You have to buy a CD for a nominal fee. You will want both. 64 bit
won't support all your devices.

see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
Dennis Pack

Re: Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit
Mark:
Charlie Russel wrote an excellent white paper about XP x64 which
also applies to Vista x64.
"http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/8/6/B868C664-13FC-4F91-9651-5B6D4F1A2F60/Is_Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_M e.doc"
Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there.
>
> I purchased Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium today at Office Depot. When
> got home, I noticed (before opening the package) that I had the 32 bit
> version, and since I have a 64-bit processor I wanted the 64-bit version.
> went back to the store to return it.
>
> The guy at Office Depot told me the package that I bought is fine, that I
> could go online and download what I needed to convert to the 64-bit
> version,
> but I can't seem to find any information on how to do this.
>
> Can anyone help? Where can I download this?

Mark

Re: Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit
Thanks for your reply. And thank you, to Roedy Green and Dennis Pack as well.

I do have exactly 4GB of RAM right now, but don't see myself expanding
anytime soon since my motherboard is at its capacity.

Thanks again. I'll just stick with 32-bit for now.