Registry blocked by UAC

Najash

Registry blocked by UAC
Hi, we developed an application that works fine with XP but Vista's UAC seems
to be blocking a Registry key that we generate under this path: "My
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{}"

Disabling UAC or 'Run as Aministrator' option 'helped' with the problem as a
user but as a programer i would like to know why UAC didn't prompt for
consent or if there's an appropiate place for developers to place these keys
on the registry

Thanks, Najash
Kerry Brown

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
If they need to be updated by users they should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
Otherwise you can set them with the installer. Installers almost always need
administrator access and automatically generate a UAC prompt.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Najash" <Najash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, we developed an application that works fine with XP but Vista's UAC
> seems
> to be blocking a Registry key that we generate under this path: "My
> Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{}"
>
> Disabling UAC or 'Run as Aministrator' option 'helped' with the problem as
> user but as a programer i would like to know why UAC didn't prompt for
> consent or if there's an appropiate place for developers to place these
> keys
> on the registry
>
> Thanks, Najash

Najash

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
Thanks Kerry, and yes You're right, in some cases we need to create the Key
from the installer and that works just fine (UAC prompts for consent) ,the
problem comes when the Key is created out of the installer.

An example of this is when a trial version of an app. is installed and when
expired, only the key is changed for full version.

Do you know how are developers fixing this case when migrating their old
apps?

"Kerry Brown" wrote:
> If they need to be updated by users they should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
> Otherwise you can set them with the installer. Installers almost always need
> administrator access and automatically generate a UAC prompt.

Andrew McLaren

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
I dunno the exact answer to your question, but this article gives a very
useful decision tree / flow chart for UAC elevation prompts:

It might shed some light on the problem.

Hope this helps a litle bit
Andrew

Kerry Brown

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
To update an application the updater should let Vista know it needs
elevation and Vista will throw a UAC prompt. There is no way to program
around UAC. You can turn it off but if it's on you can't get around it. As
you have no way of knowing in advance if the user has turned off UAC you
have to assume it's on and write the program for it.

newsCDA773C-E58F-42C0-93F5-DA1EC20DB453@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Kerry, and yes You're right, in some cases we need to create the
> Key
> from the installer and that works just fine (UAC prompts for consent) ,the
> problem comes when the Key is created out of the installer.
>
> An example of this is when a trial version of an app. is installed and
> when
> expired, only the key is changed for full version.
>
> Do you know how are developers fixing this case when migrating their old
> apps?
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>> If they need to be updated by users they should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
>> Otherwise you can set them with the installer. Installers almost always
>> need
>> administrator access and automatically generate a UAC prompt.

Najash

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
Thx, I really apreciate your help, reading about UAC from the links you send,
I found something about a Manifest File that might help
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
Najash

You will also be interested in reading the following article, especially
Part 4. This article even shows examples of how to write the code for the
Manifest file.

Windows Vista for Developers – A New Series - Kenny Kerr:
http://weblogs.asp.net/kennykerr/arc...ew-Series.aspx

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> Thx, I really apreciate your help, reading about UAC from the links you
> send,
> I found something about a Manifest File that might help

Najash

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
Excellent Help, Thanks.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Najash
>
> You will also be interested in reading the following article, especially
> Part 4. This article even shows examples of how to write the code for the
> Manifest file.
>
> Windows Vista for Developers – A New Series - Kenny Kerr:
> http://weblogs.asp.net/kennykerr/arc...ew-Series.aspx
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Najash" <Najash@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thx, I really apreciate your help, reading about UAC from the links you
> > send,
> > I found something about a Manifest File that might help

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Registry blocked by UAC
Natash

Your welcome and good luck with your application.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP