Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
Denis Mahony
 

Posts: n/a
Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64
Hi,

I installed XP after Vista to achieve dual boot.
On boot up I'm now offered XP or Vista - OK

I have only one physical drive... 400Gig

Vista is on drive C:
XP is on drive E:
I can see both drives which ever OS I'm in.

Is this safe ?
Would it be best to hide whichever OS I'm not using ?
I'm a little concerned that installs might write to C: instead of E: and
cause corruptions.

In a previous dual boot scenario - long ago - maybe Win98 + XP - I used
Partition Magic's
boot manager and it did the clever hiding bit.....

Regards

Denis

Intel DualCore 6600
WinXP Pro , Vista 64
MSI P965Neo
Seagate 400Gig HD
Gainward Bliss 7600GS PCX 256Meg video card




Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
Richard Urban
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64
You need a 3rd party boot manager to have the advanced capabilities of
hiding the system that you are NOT booted into.

I have used System Commander successfully since 1993 with all versions of
Windows. It does what you want.

--


Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)



"Denis Mahony" <dmahony@iol.ie> wrote in message
news:OEiVSgauHHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I installed XP after Vista to achieve dual boot.
> On boot up I'm now offered XP or Vista - OK
>
> I have only one physical drive... 400Gig
>
> Vista is on drive C:
> XP is on drive E:
> I can see both drives which ever OS I'm in.
>
> Is this safe ?
> Would it be best to hide whichever OS I'm not using ?
> I'm a little concerned that installs might write to C: instead of E: and
> cause corruptions.
>
> In a previous dual boot scenario - long ago - maybe Win98 + XP - I used
> Partition Magic's
> boot manager and it did the clever hiding bit.....
>
> Regards
>
> Denis
>
> Intel DualCore 6600
> WinXP Pro , Vista 64
> MSI P965Neo
> Seagate 400Gig HD
> Gainward Bliss 7600GS PCX 256Meg video card
>
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
JCO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64
The best option is to make a small investment and get another drive. Make
the drive swappable (purchasing a hot-swap Cradle). Then you simply turn on
the drive you want to use and turn off the one you don't use. Both drives
in a Hot Swap Cradle will have an electrical on/off switch.

That works much better than dual booting on the same drive and messing with
a 3rd party software to hide the partition that is not being used. Although
I know the Dual Boot/Single Drives seems to be a popular thing to do.

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:O$1JbwauHHA.4440@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> You need a 3rd party boot manager to have the advanced capabilities of
> hiding the system that you are NOT booted into.
>
> I have used System Commander successfully since 1993 with all versions of
> Windows. It does what you want.
>
> --
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
>
>
>
> "Denis Mahony" <dmahony@iol.ie> wrote in message
> news:OEiVSgauHHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed XP after Vista to achieve dual boot.
>> On boot up I'm now offered XP or Vista - OK
>>
>> I have only one physical drive... 400Gig
>>
>> Vista is on drive C:
>> XP is on drive E:
>> I can see both drives which ever OS I'm in.
>>
>> Is this safe ?
>> Would it be best to hide whichever OS I'm not using ?
>> I'm a little concerned that installs might write to C: instead of E: and
>> cause corruptions.
>>
>> In a previous dual boot scenario - long ago - maybe Win98 + XP - I used
>> Partition Magic's
>> boot manager and it did the clever hiding bit.....
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Denis
>>
>> Intel DualCore 6600
>> WinXP Pro , Vista 64
>> MSI P965Neo
>> Seagate 400Gig HD
>> Gainward Bliss 7600GS PCX 256Meg video card
>>
>>
>>
>>

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
Denis Mahony
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64
Sound like a good idea ...

Is a hot-swap cradle one that takes a single drive, and you insert the one
you wish to boot from ?
Or does it have a capacity for two drives, and you switch on or other off ?

Pics I've seen seem to indicate the drives are prewrapped in adaptor sleeve
.....and slide into a slot on the PC ..
Does that mean you have to buy a specially packaged drive ?
Is there one that takes a bare drive(s) ?
Googling hot swap cradle left me a little puzzled

Denis



"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:uGGYBkcuHHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> The best option is to make a small investment and get another drive. Make
> the drive swappable (purchasing a hot-swap Cradle). Then you simply turn
> on the drive you want to use and turn off the one you don't use. Both
> drives in a Hot Swap Cradle will have an electrical on/off switch.
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2007
JCO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64
In case I did not answer all of your questions:
Not sure what you mean by drive being pre-wrapped. The Rack is in two
pieces where one part is permanently installed internally and the other part
slides into the first part. Connection is made simply by sliding one part
into the other. No special packaged drive. Google Mobile Rack or look on
ebay. You will see what I'm talking about.


"Denis Mahony" <dmahony@iol.ie> wrote in message
news:elf%23bDduHHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Sound like a good idea ...
>
> Is a hot-swap cradle one that takes a single drive, and you insert the one
> you wish to boot from ?
> Or does it have a capacity for two drives, and you switch on or other off
> ?
>
> Pics I've seen seem to indicate the drives are prewrapped in adaptor
> sleeve ....and slide into a slot on the PC ..
> Does that mean you have to buy a specially packaged drive ?
> Is there one that takes a bare drive(s) ?
> Googling hot swap cradle left me a little puzzled
>
> Denis
>
>
>
> "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> news:uGGYBkcuHHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> The best option is to make a small investment and get another drive.
>> Make the drive swappable (purchasing a hot-swap Cradle). Then you simply
>> turn on the drive you want to use and turn off the one you don't use.
>> Both drives in a Hot Swap Cradle will have an electrical on/off switch.
>>

>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2007
JCO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64
Note:
I tried to send an earlier response with a ebay link that has an example of
a these Mobile Racks but the message did not make it to the newsgroup.
Maybe because of the link. So I'm resending the information in this post.

A better name is a Mobile Rack. You can get a mobile rack for either SATA
or IDE drives, so you must know which type of harddrive you have. The
connections are different for IDE Drives vs SATA drives.

The racks are designed in two parts. Part "A" is installed (internally) in
the computer's 3.5" bay. Part "B" has a handle on it and slides in and out
of part "A". This part "B" is the part that holds the harddrive. The two
parts mate together, creating the connections. One mobile rack is designed
to hold one harddrive. Usually there is an on/off switch or a key, that not
only locks the parts together but also turns the unit on (electrically)

If you want to be able to switch one drive off and the other drive on, with
out changing out the drive in the rack, you will need two Mobile Rack Units
(which is what I have). Both drives are set up as a primary and you only
switch on the drive you want to boot to and switch off the drive your not
using. If you only purchase one mobile rack, you will have to pull out part
B, switch drives, then put part B back into part A. This is easy to do.

An advantage of 2-mobile racks is no only for convenience but also so that
you can have both drives running at the same time. In this situation, one
drive is configured as primary and the other drive is configured as Slave.
This configurations is popular if your doing backups from one drive to the
other (such as doing a clone or an Image with third party software...
Acronis True Image).

Hope this makes sense.

"Denis Mahony" <dmahony@iol.ie> wrote in message
news:elf%23bDduHHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Sound like a good idea ...
>
> Is a hot-swap cradle one that takes a single drive, and you insert the one
> you wish to boot from ?
> Or does it have a capacity for two drives, and you switch on or other off
> ?
>
> Pics I've seen seem to indicate the drives are prewrapped in adaptor
> sleeve ....and slide into a slot on the PC ..
> Does that mean you have to buy a specially packaged drive ?
> Is there one that takes a bare drive(s) ?
> Googling hot swap cradle left me a little puzzled
>
> Denis
>
>
>
> "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> news:uGGYBkcuHHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> The best option is to make a small investment and get another drive.
>> Make the drive swappable (purchasing a hot-swap Cradle). Then you simply
>> turn on the drive you want to use and turn off the one you don't use.
>> Both drives in a Hot Swap Cradle will have an electrical on/off switch.
>>

>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2007
Denis Mahony
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dual Boot XP Pro + Vista 64
Good
Now it makes sense ...
Thanks

Denis



"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:%23OuKHcguHHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Note:
> I tried to send an earlier response with a ebay link that has an example
> of a these Mobile Racks but the message did not make it to the newsgroup.
> Maybe because of the link. So I'm resending the information in this post.
>
> A better name is a Mobile Rack. You can get a mobile rack for either SATA
> or IDE drives, so you must know which type of harddrive you have. The
> connections are different for IDE Drives vs SATA drives.
>
> The racks are designed in two parts. Part "A" is installed (internally)
> in the computer's 3.5" bay. Part "B" has a handle on it and slides in
> and out of part "A". This part "B" is the part that holds the harddrive.
> The two parts mate together, creating the connections. One mobile rack is
> designed to hold one harddrive. Usually there is an on/off switch or a
> key, that not only locks the parts together but also turns the unit on
> (electrically)
>
> If you want to be able to switch one drive off and the other drive on,
> with out changing out the drive in the rack, you will need two Mobile Rack
> Units (which is what I have). Both drives are set up as a primary and you
> only switch on the drive you want to boot to and switch off the drive your
> not using. If you only purchase one mobile rack, you will have to pull
> out part B, switch drives, then put part B back into part A. This is easy
> to do.
>
> An advantage of 2-mobile racks is no only for convenience but also so that
> you can have both drives running at the same time. In this situation, one
> drive is configured as primary and the other drive is configured as Slave.
> This configurations is popular if your doing backups from one drive to the
> other (such as doing a clone or an Image with third party software...
> Acronis True Image).
>
> Hope this makes sense.
>
> "Denis Mahony" <dmahony@iol.ie> wrote in message
> news:elf%23bDduHHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Sound like a good idea ...
>>
>> Is a hot-swap cradle one that takes a single drive, and you insert the
>> one you wish to boot from ?
>> Or does it have a capacity for two drives, and you switch on or other off
>> ?
>>
>> Pics I've seen seem to indicate the drives are prewrapped in adaptor
>> sleeve ....and slide into a slot on the PC ..
>> Does that mean you have to buy a specially packaged drive ?
>> Is there one that takes a bare drive(s) ?
>> Googling hot swap cradle left me a little puzzled
>>
>> Denis
>>
>>
>>
>> "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:uGGYBkcuHHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> The best option is to make a small investment and get another drive.
>>> Make the drive swappable (purchasing a hot-swap Cradle). Then you
>>> simply turn on the drive you want to use and turn off the one you don't
>>> use. Both drives in a Hot Swap Cradle will have an electrical on/off
>>> switch.
>>>

>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install XP Pro after Vista for Dual Boot =?Utf-8?B?RnJPc1RiWXRF?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 09-17-2008 04:13
Dual boot Vista and XP PRO Don Pullem microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 05-19-2007 11:45
Dual boot using Vista Boot Pro 3.1 Marcus microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 03:45
Dual Boot with Vista and XP Pro? Mark \(MCP\) microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-01-2007 03:39
Dual Boot XP Pro and Vista =?Utf-8?B?Ry4gTW9yZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 02-21-2007 08:06




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120