vista x64 failed to install

gok

vista x64 failed to install
Got a Product Key from MSDN subscription for Vista Enterprise, did run
installation above Vista Home Premium and got an error message:
"Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted"
Did try the same couple times and no luck.
I have plenty activations available. What could be wrong?
--
gok
gok

RE: vista x64 failed to install
forgot to add:
I'm booting from DVD and I'm stuck on Insert Product Key page.
What other options are to do "clean" installation?
Mike Brannigan

"gok" <gok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> forgot to add:
> I'm booting from DVD and I'm stuck on Insert Product Key page.
> What other options are to do "clean" installation?

I'm not entirely sure what you are doing.
If you are installing Windows Vista Enterprise Edition, as it is the only
image on the DVD (that you got as part of your volume license agreement
media pack) just install without a product key (as a clean install) and then
activate it using your corporate KMS server or the slmgr.vbs tool.

If this is not enough information then please do provide more detail as to
what exactly you are trying to do.
--

Mike Brannigan

gok

Re: vista x64 failed to install
Mike,
I'm not sure what "clean install" means, should I start formating hard drive
(dos-times)?
What I tryed so far:
1. from Vista x32 started setup.exe on DVD Vista x64:
"Windows setup can not run on this version of the Operation System. To
install Windows please try booting from install media" ;
2. did boot from DVD and stuck at Product Key window (see previous messages).
I'm pretty sure that no antivirus stuff will affect installation booting
from dvd.
What else could be wrong?
Hope I dont have to download 1G Vista x64 from website...
Mike Brannigan

> Mike,
> I'm not sure what "clean install" means, should I start formating hard
> drive
> (dos-times)?
> What I tryed so far:
> 1. from Vista x32 started setup.exe on DVD Vista x64:
> "Windows setup can not run on this version of the Operation System. To
> install Windows please try booting from install media" ;
> 2. did boot from DVD and stuck at Product Key window (see previous
> messages).
> I'm pretty sure that no antivirus stuff will affect installation booting
> from dvd.
> What else could be wrong?
> Hope I dont have to download 1G Vista x64 from website...

OK - you cannot install the x64 (64-bit) OS from inside the 32-bit one.
The only path to install a x64 OS is by a clean install -
This means you boot from the DVD and go through the entire installation
process, yes you can re-partition and reformat your hard disk during this
phase.
For Windows Vista Enterprise you do not need to enter a product key (just
click next) - as it is the only version on the DVD so it will install.
You then activate it as I said using your corporate KMS Server or the
slmgr.vbs tool

--

Mike Brannigan

gok

Re: vista x64 failed to install
Did exactly what you suggested.
Should I wiped out x32 version first? It should be some format tools in
BIOS, right?
Mike Brannigan

newsB68A4D9-2AD5-4AC4-B7E3-D3A1E51CF9F3@microsoft.com...
> Did exactly what you suggested.
> Should I wiped out x32 version first? It should be some format tools in
> BIOS, right?

There is nothing in your BIOS to do with formatting your hard drive (or at
least nothing that is need to do what you need to here).
The ability to format your hard drive is part of the installation options
where you do an advanced install and select the partition etc.
Just look at the options as you do the insatll and it will be obvious which
one to select.
--

Mike Brannigan

Rock

Re: vista x64 failed to install
"gok" <gok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Did exactly what you suggested.
> Should I wiped out x32 version first? It should be some format tools in
> BIOS, right?

No, the 32bit version needs to be installed. Boot the Vista DVD, it checks
that there is a qualifying OS installed, and then proceeds with the clean
install. You can do the partitioning and formatting by the tools available
on the DVD during the process of the install. The old installation is
wrapped up into the windows.old folder from which you can retrieve data if
you want, then delete it.

The BIOS doesn't have anything to do with the installation in terms of
formatting and partitioning.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

gok

Re: vista x64 failed to install
Thanks, Rock, for clarification.
Have no idea what else to try. My current vista x32 came with athlon x62
dual core from Dell so must be totally legal. And now I know I'm doing "clean
installation" from dvd.
Message "installation has encountered an error" not helpful either.
Probably its time to call msdn.