Moving Registration

Howard

Moving Registration
I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate for helping to Beta Test it. I was
running it on my laptop, but I recently sold it (put back Windows XP) that
came with it. Can I still reinstall Ultimate on a new laptop I buy since i
removed it from the old one?
Jane C

Re: Moving Registration
Yes. You will most likely have to activate via the telephone option.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate for helping to Beta Test it. I
>was
> running it on my laptop, but I recently sold it (put back Windows XP) that
> came with it. Can I still reinstall Ultimate on a new laptop I buy since
> removed it from the old one?

Peter Foldes

Re: Moving Registration
And did you read the words Not for Resale on the Vista CD that you received for Beta testing

--
Peter

"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:010CAD04-43AD-4AA2-ADD6-D8C5ED28096B@microsoft.com...
>I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate for helping to Beta Test it. I was
> running it on my laptop, but I recently sold it (put back Windows XP) that
> came with it. Can I still reinstall Ultimate on a new laptop I buy since i
> removed it from the old one?

Richard G. Harper

Re: Moving Registration
He did exactly what he was supposed to - put XP back on the system he sold.
No need for unkind words or insinuations.

And did you read the words Not for Resale on the Vista CD that you received
for Beta testing

--
Peter

"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate for helping to Beta Test it. I
>was
> running it on my laptop, but I recently sold it (put back Windows XP) that
> came with it. Can I still reinstall Ultimate on a new laptop I buy since
> removed it from the old one?

Rock

Re: Moving Registration
"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate for helping to Beta Test it. I
>was
> running it on my laptop, but I recently sold it (put back Windows XP) that
> came with it. Can I still reinstall Ultimate on a new laptop I buy since
> removed it from the old one?

Yes, it can be transferred to a different computer. If it doesn't activate
by the internet do phone activation.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Moving Registration
"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote
> And did you read the words Not for Resale on the Vista CD that you
> received for Beta testing

"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate for helping to Beta Test it. I
>was
> running it on my laptop, but I recently sold it (put back Windows XP) that
> came with it. Can I still reinstall Ultimate on a new laptop I buy since
> removed it from the old one?

Peter I think you misread his post. He reinstalled XP and sold the laptop
with XP. He still has the Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Peter Foldes

Re: Moving Registration
Rock and Richard

After re-reading the OP's original post Yes I did misread\misunderstood his post. Thanks for pointing it out for me. I do this time to time and I should take care more.

Thanks again

--
Peter

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message news:esuxJ2WuHHA.3688@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote
>> And did you read the words Not for Resale on the Vista CD that you
>> received for Beta testing

> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate for helping to Beta Test it. I
>>was
>> running it on my laptop, but I recently sold it (put back Windows XP) that
>> came with it. Can I still reinstall Ultimate on a new laptop I buy since
>> removed it from the old one?

> Peter I think you misread his post. He reinstalled XP and sold the laptop
> with XP. He still has the Vista.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

...winston

Re: Moving Registration
Full retail or Msdn/Technet version...yes
Full Pre-RTM version(6.0.5840.16384) - yes, but Windows, Defender, and Ultimate Extra Updates are no longer possible. Thus updated drivers that were available on first(prior) install would have to be provided manually for locally stored(cd, program) files.
All other versions - no
..winston