Laptop shuts down by itself and reboots...

Frustrated in Altanta

Laptop shuts down by itself and reboots...
I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home premium preloaded. For some
reason I had to use the recovery disk to restore the system. During this
restore operation the laptop installed all the software while going thorugh
several shutdown and reboot sequences. This is still happening after 12
hours and I do not see anything is being installeda at this time yet the
system boots up and after 1-2 minutes shutsdown and reboots and this goes on
and on...

I have powered off the laptop and restarted to no avail.

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Malke

Re: Laptop shuts down by itself and reboots...
Frustrated in Altanta wrote:
> I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home premium preloaded. For some
> reason I had to use the recovery disk to restore the system. During this
> restore operation the laptop installed all the software while going thorugh
> several shutdown and reboot sequences. This is still happening after 12
> hours and I do not see anything is being installeda at this time yet the
> system boots up and after 1-2 minutes shutsdown and reboots and this goes on
> and on...
>
> I have powered off the laptop and restarted to no avail.

New laptop with problems = take it back or contact the laptop mftr.'s
tech support. Since you didn't tell us the "some reason" you needed to
restore, I can't help you there but if you were having problems with the
machine out of the box, take it back.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
peter

Re: Laptop shuts down by itself and reboots...
Time to use your warranty
peter
"Frustrated in Altanta" <Frustrated in Altanta@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:7294BA3B-CB26-4A8B-A705-2C6D54A0BD4D@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home premium preloaded. For some
> reason I had to use the recovery disk to restore the system. During this
> restore operation the laptop installed all the software while going
> thorugh
> several shutdown and reboot sequences. This is still happening after 12
> hours and I do not see anything is being installeda at this time yet the
> system boots up and after 1-2 minutes shutsdown and reboots and this goes
> on
> and on...
>
> I have powered off the laptop and restarted to no avail.
>
> Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Frustrated in Altanta

Re: Laptop shuts down by itself and reboots...
OK this was my reason, perhaps wrong reason, to restore the system:

First the configuration:

HP Pavilion dv9500t customizable Notebook PC
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/4MB L2Cache)
17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
2GB RAM (2 Dimm)
LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Microphone +Webcam
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network w/Bluetooth
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
System Recovery DVD w/Windows Vista Home Premium
Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

upon openeing the package I could saw model DV9000t as opposed to 9500t.
Called HP and after much efforts they told me to disregard what the sticker
says and asked me to power up the laptop so that they can convince me it is
9500t.

During this first boot-up, I did not answer correctly a bunch of questions
such as owner information, password, etc. as i was convinced that I will be
returning it for the correct model number.

It booted just fine and they showed me from system information that I did
receive the correct model number.

So I thought (may be incorrectly) if I recover the system using the system
recovery disks HP provided I might be able to add the correct information
such as owner info., passwords, etc. This was my reason for restoring the
system.

I do not think something is seriously wrong with this laptop/software as it
did boot fine during the first startup. I am only having trouble after I
attempted this recovery operation which does not require much user inputs.

I apologize for somewhat vague initial question and this long response.
Again, I will appreciate any help I can get that i can try on my own before I
spent several hours with HP support. Thanks.

"peter" wrote:

> Time to use your warranty
> peter
> "Frustrated in Altanta" <Frustrated in Altanta@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:7294BA3B-CB26-4A8B-A705-2C6D54A0BD4D@microsoft.com...
> >I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home premium preloaded. For some
> > reason I had to use the recovery disk to restore the system. During this
> > restore operation the laptop installed all the software while going
> > thorugh
> > several shutdown and reboot sequences. This is still happening after 12
> > hours and I do not see anything is being installeda at this time yet the
> > system boots up and after 1-2 minutes shutsdown and reboots and this goes
> > on
> > and on...
> >
> > I have powered off the laptop and restarted to no avail.
> >
> > Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Laptop shuts down by itself and reboots...
RETURN THE LAPTOP for warranty repair or replacement.

"Frustrated in Altanta" <Frustrated in Altanta@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:7294BA3B-CB26-4A8B-A705-2C6D54A0BD4D@microsoft.com...
>I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home premium preloaded. For some
> reason I had to use the recovery disk to restore the system. During this
> restore operation the laptop installed all the software while going
> thorugh
> several shutdown and reboot sequences. This is still happening after 12
> hours and I do not see anything is being installeda at this time yet the
> system boots up and after 1-2 minutes shutsdown and reboots and this goes
> on
> and on...
>
> I have powered off the laptop and restarted to no avail.
>
> Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Mr. Arnold

Re: Laptop shuts down by itself and reboots...

> So I thought (may be incorrectly) if I recover the system using the system
> recovery disks HP provided I might be able to add the correct information
> such as owner info., passwords, etc. This was my reason for restoring the
> system.

That's where you blew it and now things are messed-up. And in the future,
you should check with HP, before you do anything else of this nature, as you
don't know what you are doing it seems like.

You have a 1 year software warrantee with HP, as long as you don't change
the O/S from Vista HP to Ultimate or XP as an example on the laptop.

> I do not think something is seriously wrong with this laptop/software as
> it
> did boot fine during the first startup. I am only having trouble after I
> attempted this recovery operation which does not require much user inputs.

There is nothing wrong with the laptop. You simply destoryed the O/S by not
knowing what you were doing.

> I apologize for somewhat vague initial question and this long response.
> Again, I will appreciate any help I can get that i can try on my own
> before I
> spent several hours with HP support.

You need to get back on the phone with HP and tell them what you did, why
you did what you did with this restore thing you did, the results afterwards
because of what you did, and let them get you out of it.