Activation Hell

Guido

Activation Hell
Hello,

I installed yesterday Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and activated it right
after.
Everything looked good.

Today I saw that the system thinks I have to Activate in 2 Days!!

I tried over the Internet but Vista said, my key where allready registered.
So I called Microsoft and aktivated again.

Curious i began to explore the System Logs and i found in the Information
logs all 5 Minutes

Source Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 and 1024

Message: Hardware Changed and Activation Greed Time.

After searching and trying I found out that this message disapears when i
turn on my external USB-Disk!!!!!!

But as soon i Turn of the external USB-Disk i get again this messages and
i'm pretty sure i need soon to call Microsoft again for re-activation!!

Please Fix that bug!

Mac

Activation Hell (cross post from installation_setup)
Yeah that sucks, there must be a solution to that! Will cross post it to
general community newsgroup where more folks are active and maybe someone
will find you an answer... I can imagine quite a few will relish discussing
this...

"Guido" <Guido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed yesterday Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and activated it right
> after.
> Everything looked good.
>
> Today I saw that the system thinks I have to Activate in 2 Days!!
>
> I tried over the Internet but Vista said, my key where allready
> registered.
> So I called Microsoft and aktivated again.
>
> Curious i began to explore the System Logs and i found in the Information
> logs all 5 Minutes
>
> Source Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 and 1024
>
> Message: Hardware Changed and Activation Greed Time.
>
> After searching and trying I found out that this message disapears when i
> turn on my external USB-Disk!!!!!!
>
> But as soon i Turn of the external USB-Disk i get again this messages and
> i'm pretty sure i need soon to call Microsoft again for re-activation!!
>
> Please Fix that bug!

Peter Foldes

Re: Activation Hell (cross post from installation_setup)
If you turn on your External USB HD then obviously Windows Vista detects a hardware change. Each and every time you do open Vista with the USB HD turned off it will detect a change and this goes for when you open with the ESB HD.

To avoid this activate with the USB HD connected and on and leave it on. If you shut it off and then you boot without it being on you will go through the same cycle. One or the other.

--
Peter

"Mac" <mac@nospam.com> wrote in message news:182D282D-136F-4F4E-AAFE-CACB0559F4FA@microsoft.com...
> Yeah that sucks, there must be a solution to that! Will cross post it to
> general community newsgroup where more folks are active and maybe someone
> will find you an answer... I can imagine quite a few will relish discussing
> this...
>
> "Guido" <Guido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I installed yesterday Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and activated it right
>> after.
>> Everything looked good.
>>
>> Today I saw that the system thinks I have to Activate in 2 Days!!
>>
>> I tried over the Internet but Vista said, my key where allready
>> registered.
>> So I called Microsoft and aktivated again.
>>
>> Curious i began to explore the System Logs and i found in the Information
>> logs all 5 Minutes
>>
>> Source Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 and 1024
>>
>> Message: Hardware Changed and Activation Greed Time.
>>
>> After searching and trying I found out that this message disapears when i
>> turn on my external USB-Disk!!!!!!
>>
>> But as soon i Turn of the external USB-Disk i get again this messages and
>> i'm pretty sure i need soon to call Microsoft again for re-activation!!
>>
>> Please Fix that bug!

NotMe

Re: Activation Hell (cross post from installation_setup)
So with Vista, normal computer useage requires reactivation. Why doesn't
that surprise me?

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com
If you turn on your External USB HD then obviously Windows Vista detects a
hardware change. Each and every time you do open Vista with the USB HD
turned off it will detect a change and this goes for when you open with the
ESB HD.

To avoid this activate with the USB HD connected and on and leave it on. If
you shut it off and then you boot without it being on you will go through
the same cycle. One or the other.

--
Peter

"Mac" <mac@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Yeah that sucks, there must be a solution to that! Will cross post it to
> general community newsgroup where more folks are active and maybe someone
> will find you an answer... I can imagine quite a few will relish
> discussing
> this...
>
> "Guido" <Guido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I installed yesterday Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and activated it right
>> after.
>> Everything looked good.
>>
>> Today I saw that the system thinks I have to Activate in 2 Days!!
>>
>> I tried over the Internet but Vista said, my key where allready
>> registered.
>> So I called Microsoft and aktivated again.
>>
>> Curious i began to explore the System Logs and i found in the Information
>> logs all 5 Minutes
>>
>> Source Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 and 1024
>>
>> Message: Hardware Changed and Activation Greed Time.
>>
>> After searching and trying I found out that this message disapears when i
>> turn on my external USB-Disk!!!!!!
>>
>> But as soon i Turn of the external USB-Disk i get again this messages and
>> i'm pretty sure i need soon to call Microsoft again for re-activation!!
>>
>> Please Fix that bug!

Michael Solomon

"NotMe" <cargodZeroOne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So with Vista, normal computer useage requires reactivation. Why doesn't
> that surprise me?

I have three external hard drives, one I didn't own when I initially install
Vista and is of a different hardware type than the other two and those two
weren't turned on when I activated and I've never gotten a prompt from Vista
when I turn any of them on or whether or not I boot with any of them on. To
be clear however, I don't have an OEM version of Vista but I'm not sure that
should make a difference either.

If you're running Vista, you already would have mentioned such an issue if
it was happening to you.

I don't have any idea what is causing it to trigger activation and it's
possible Peter's solution might otherwise allow the OP to run "normal" as
you put it because if the devices are turned off, it won't make any
difference and if they are turned on and the system was activated with those
devices recognized initially, then he probably won't have any more trouble.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy

Peter Foldes wrote:
> If you turn on your External USB HD then obviously Windows Vista
> detects a hardware change. Each and every time you do open Vista
> with the USB HD turned off it will detect a change and this goes
> for when you open with the ESB HD.
>
> To avoid this activate with the USB HD connected and on and leave
> it on. If you shut it off and then you boot without it being on
> you will go through the same cycle. One or the other.

OK, that's too much. Not even MS is that stupid to build activation to
behave so, at least I have a hard time swallowing it. That has to be a
bug. I can't imagine that they would build it that way by design. They
would totally be shooting themselves in the foot by doing it this way.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"They hacked the Microsoft website to make it think a linux box was a
windows box. Thats called hacking. People who do hacking are called
hackers."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot
Michael Solomon

Re: Activation Hell (cross post from installation_setup)

">
> OK, that's too much. Not even MS is that stupid to build activation to
> behave so, at least I have a hard time swallowing it. That has to be a
> bug. I can't imagine that they would build it that way by design. They
> would totally be shooting themselves in the foot by doing it this way.

Check the following Knowledge Base article as it may help resolve the issue.
Even if you don't have an OEM version as referenced in the title, there's
some information in this article that not only might explain the issue but
might also help resolve it regardless:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573/en-us
--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Guido

RE: Activation Hell (cross post from installation_setup)
Hello Mac,

at the moment i'm not anylonger sure if that the messages realy stop when i
activate the external USB drive. In the first place it looked like that
because the message took longer to come again. But finaly they came...

Here the Eventlog...sorry in german:

Ebene Datum und Uhrzeit Quelle Ereignis-ID Aufgabenkategorie
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:24 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:24 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:22 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:21 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:19 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:19 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:16 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:16 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:14 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:13 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:11 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:11 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:09 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:08 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:06 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:06 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:04 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:03 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:01 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:11:01 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:58 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:58 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:57 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:55 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:55 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:54 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:52 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:51 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:50 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:49 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:47 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:47 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:44 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:44 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:42 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:42 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:40 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:39 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:37 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:37 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:35 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:34 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:32 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:32 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:30 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:10:30 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.
Informationen 26.06.2007 21:05:07 Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf 1000 Keine Die
Leistungsindikatoren für den Dienst WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) wurden erfolgreich
geladen. Die Eintragsdaten im Datenbereich enthalten die neuen Indexwerte,
die diesem Dienst zugeordnet sind.
Informationen 26.06.2007 21:05:07 Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf 1001 Keine "Die
Leistungsindikatoren für den Dienst WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) wurden entfernt. Die
Daten enthalten die neuen Werte der Registrierungseinträge ""Last Counter""
und ""Last Help""."
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:01:35 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 Keine Der
Aktivierungzeitraum hat begonnen. Tage zur Aktivierung=3 Aktivierungstyp=4.
Informationen 26.06.2007
21:01:34 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Licensing-SLC 1024 Keine Die Hardware hat
sich geändert.

"Mac" wrote:

> Yeah that sucks, there must be a solution to that! Will cross post it to
> general community newsgroup where more folks are active and maybe someone
> will find you an answer... I can imagine quite a few will relish discussing
> this...
>
> "Guido" <Guido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed yesterday Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and activated it right
> > after.
> > Everything looked good.
> >
> > Today I saw that the system thinks I have to Activate in 2 Days!!
> >
> > I tried over the Internet but Vista said, my key where allready
> > registered.
> > So I called Microsoft and aktivated again.
> >
> > Curious i began to explore the System Logs and i found in the Information
> > logs all 5 Minutes
> >
> > Source Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 and 1024
> >
> > Message: Hardware Changed and Activation Greed Time.
> >
> > After searching and trying I found out that this message disapears when i
> > turn on my external USB-Disk!!!!!!
> >
> > But as soon i Turn of the external USB-Disk i get again this messages and
> > i'm pretty sure i need soon to call Microsoft again for re-activation!!
> >
> > Please Fix that bug!

Stephan Rose

Re: Activation Hell (cross post from installation_setup)
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:44:32 -0500, The poster formerly known as Nina
DiBoy wrote:

> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> If you turn on your External USB HD then obviously Windows Vista
> > detects a hardware change. Each and every time you do open Vista
> > with the USB HD turned off it will detect a change and this goes
> > for when you open with the ESB HD.
>>
>> To avoid this activate with the USB HD connected and on and leave
> > it on. If you shut it off and then you boot without it being on
> > you will go through the same cycle. One or the other.
>>

> OK, that's too much. Not even MS is that stupid to build activation to
> behave so, at least I have a hard time swallowing it. That has to be a
> bug. I can't imagine that they would build it that way by design. They
> would totally be shooting themselves in the foot by doing it this way.

I just have 3 words to say in response:

"I love Ubuntu."

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから
James Matthews

Re: Activation Hell
Yes there are some bugs with WGA but they cannot be all sorted out with all
the hardware is it possible that your usb hardware is a main part of the
computer.

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=39
"Guido" <Guido@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed yesterday Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit and activated it right
> after.
> Everything looked good.
>
> Today I saw that the system thinks I have to Activate in 2 Days!!
>
> I tried over the Internet but Vista said, my key where allready
> registered.
> So I called Microsoft and aktivated again.
>
> Curious i began to explore the System Logs and i found in the Information
> logs all 5 Minutes
>
> Source Security-Licensing-SLC 1025 and 1024
>
> Message: Hardware Changed and Activation Greed Time.
>
> After searching and trying I found out that this message disapears when i
> turn on my external USB-Disk!!!!!!
>
> But as soon i Turn of the external USB-Disk i get again this messages and
> i'm pretty sure i need soon to call Microsoft again for re-activation!!
>
> Please Fix that bug!

Everything going to hell TheSarah microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 16 05-30-2007 02:38
what the hell is this? A microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 33 03-20-2007 06:51
Hell on Earth Paul Security News 0 03-15-2007 08:04
What the hell happened??? Beck microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 10 03-01-2007 03:40
USB Hell Tim Bostonia microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 02-11-2007 08:09