Not copying Windows files on install

Rich

Not copying Windows files on install
I just bought a retail copy of vista and am attempting to install it on a new
computer. The Hard drive is blank and formatted. I get as far as "Installing
Windows..." and get the message "That's all the information we need right
now. Your computer will restart several times during installation." Then
highlighted is the "copying windows files (0%)" box however I cant get past
this point. I see three dots (...) appearing and disappearing after the
message but the % does not increase. Any help at all?
Malke

Re: Not copying Windows files on install
Rich wrote:
> I just bought a retail copy of vista and am attempting to install it on a new
> computer. The Hard drive is blank and formatted. I get as far as "Installing
> Windows..." and get the message "That's all the information we need right
> now. Your computer will restart several times during installation." Then
> highlighted is the "copying windows files (0%)" box however I cant get past
> this point. I see three dots (...) appearing and disappearing after the
> message but the % does not increase. Any help at all?

Failure to install an operating system normally means a hardware
problem. The fact that your computer is new is irrelevant. Since we
don't have any of your computer specs, I can't be more specific. Are you
sure your hardware supports Vista? Are you installing Vista with no
peripherals attached? Is the hard drive SATA and did you provide the
drive controller drivers at the beginning of the installation? How long
did you wait before giving up?

General hardware testing:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Rich

Re: Not copying Windows files on install
I am using a SATA hard drive. How do I get my drive controller drivers for my
hard drive? It is the only part of my computer which is not new and I have no
cd's or disks for it. It is a Maxtor Hard Drive if that helps.

"Malke" wrote:

> Rich wrote:
> > I just bought a retail copy of vista and am attempting to install it on a new
> > computer. The Hard drive is blank and formatted. I get as far as "Installing
> > Windows..." and get the message "That's all the information we need right
> > now. Your computer will restart several times during installation." Then
> > highlighted is the "copying windows files (0%)" box however I cant get past
> > this point. I see three dots (...) appearing and disappearing after the
> > message but the % does not increase. Any help at all?

> Failure to install an operating system normally means a hardware
> problem. The fact that your computer is new is irrelevant. Since we
> don't have any of your computer specs, I can't be more specific. Are you
> sure your hardware supports Vista? Are you installing Vista with no
> peripherals attached? Is the hard drive SATA and did you provide the
> drive controller drivers at the beginning of the installation? How long
> did you wait before giving up?
>
> General hardware testing:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rich

Re: Not copying Windows files on install
Is it drivers for my hard drive I need or drivers for my motherboard? I have
a P965T-A motherboard which on the ECS site is supposed to be vista ready.

"Rich" wrote:

> I am using a SATA hard drive. How do I get my drive controller drivers for my
> hard drive? It is the only part of my computer which is not new and I have no
> cd's or disks for it. It is a Maxtor Hard Drive if that helps.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Rich wrote:
> > > I just bought a retail copy of vista and am attempting to install it on a new
> > > computer. The Hard drive is blank and formatted. I get as far as "Installing
> > > Windows..." and get the message "That's all the information we need right
> > > now. Your computer will restart several times during installation." Then
> > > highlighted is the "copying windows files (0%)" box however I cant get past
> > > this point. I see three dots (...) appearing and disappearing after the
> > > message but the % does not increase. Any help at all?

> > Failure to install an operating system normally means a hardware
> > problem. The fact that your computer is new is irrelevant. Since we
> > don't have any of your computer specs, I can't be more specific. Are you
> > sure your hardware supports Vista? Are you installing Vista with no
> > peripherals attached? Is the hard drive SATA and did you provide the
> > drive controller drivers at the beginning of the installation? How long
> > did you wait before giving up?
> >
> > General hardware testing:
> > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot
> >

> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Seth

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Rich" wrote:
>
>> I am using a SATA hard drive. How do I get my drive controller drivers
>> for my
>> hard drive? It is the only part of my computer which is not new and I
>> have no
>> cd's or disks for it. It is a Maxtor Hard Drive if that helps.

> Is it drivers for my hard drive I need or drivers for my motherboard? I
> have
> a P965T-A motherboard which on the ECS site is supposed to be vista ready.

You need the drivers for the hard drive interface which is part of your
motherboard.

XS11E

Re: Not copying Windows files on install
Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is it drivers for my hard drive I need or drivers for my
> motherboard? I have a P965T-A motherboard which on the ECS site is
> supposed to be vista ready.

You need the SATA drivers provided by your motherboard manufacturer
on the CD that came with the system or that you download from the
ECS site because neither XP or Vista can install SATA drivers unless
you provide the OS with the drivers and tell it their location.

You must copy the drivers to a floppy or a CD and during the install
of Vista you'll be asked early on if you need to install these drivers,
select yes. Later during the install, you'll be asked for the drivers,
insert the CD (you can remove the Vista CD until you're asked for it
later) or floppy and point to the location and everything should work
from there.

Here's the ECS site, you need the Raid Controller Driver:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Dow...ID=6&LanID= 9

Or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3d7c52

Rich

Re: Not copying Windows files on install
OK I'll give these drivers a go then. Should I need to do this before I start
installing anything though? Do you mean I need to do this on the load driver
option before I click to begin the installation?

Rich wrote:
> OK I'll give these drivers a go then. Should I need to do this before I start
> installing anything though? Do you mean I need to do this on the load driver
> option before I click to begin the installation?

Yes, you need to do this early in the installation process when Vista
asks if you need to load additional drivers. Also follow my suggestions
to not have anything externally connected (except your keyboard and
mouse of course). If you still are having problems, remove any PCI cards
before you start, too.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
XS11E

Re: Not copying Windows files on install
Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> OK I'll give these drivers a go then. Should I need to do this
> before I start installing anything though? Do you mean I need to
> do this on the load driver option before I click to begin the
> installation?

Yes, see Malke's answer also.

Rich

Re: Not copying Windows files on install
Still no go. Copied the RAID files from the download to a CD but windows does
not automatically pick up any drivers off of this CD. Then when I manually
browse the disk it does come up with some drivers but when I choose to use
this driver and then click to start the installation it is still not getting
past 0%. I also tried just copying the 64bit floppy folder like the readme
file in the download said and this did not work either. How many drivers
should I have to install? Also how will I know if it has accepted the driver?
Also the only hardware I have connected are my mouse and keyboard and my pci
graphics card. Anything else you guys can think of I can do? I appreciate all
the help so far guys