Home Premium[Acer OEM] >Ultimate [technet sub. PK] ?? pitfalls??

rgh1951

Home Premium[Acer OEM] >Ultimate [technet sub. PK] ?? pitfalls??
I have a legit technet sub product key and install DVD iso (extracted to
folder on a logical partition)...Can I just run setup from the Ultimate
folder and use the product key I have as a technet subscriber?? Is there
anything about Acer OS customization that would cause problems with this??
Any info would be appreciated
Robert[rheidlage at hotmail.com]

Re: Home Premium[Acer OEM] >Ultimate [technet sub. PK] ?use of Windows Anytime Upgraade DVD with Ultimate PK??
Or, can I use the Vista Ultimate product key with the upgrade DVD that came
in teh box at purchase...the Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD???
rgh1951

"rgh1951" <rgh1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a legit technet sub product key and install DVD iso (extracted to
> folder on a logical partition)...Can I just run setup from the Ultimate
> folder and use the product key I have as a technet subscriber?? Is there
> anything about Acer OS customization that would cause problems with this??
> Any info would be appreciated

Mike Brannigan

Re: Home Premium[Acer OEM] >Ultimate [technet sub. PK] ?? pitfalls??
"rgh1951" <rgh1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a legit technet sub product key and install DVD iso (extracted to
> folder on a logical partition)...Can I just run setup from the Ultimate
> folder and use the product key I have as a technet subscriber?? Is there
> anything about Acer OS customization that would cause problems with this??
> Any info would be appreciated

You should burn a DVD from the ISO you have downloaded.
Also I assume this is not your day to day machine that you use for regular
tasks - if it is then you are NOT licensed to use the operating systems you
get from TechNet they are for evaluation and demonstration use only.
Please reread the master license agreement for the appropriate use of the
TechNet software.
from
"... Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in
production environments. TechNet Plus subscriptions include the most recent
Microsoft software version. Visit Microsoft Software License Terms for
details on your use rights for evaluation software and other components of
the TechNet Subscription product. ..."

--

Mike Brannigan

rgh1951

Re: Home Premium[Acer OEM] >Ultimate, w/o legal eagles....
No, this is not a day-to-day machine. "Evaluation" means figuring out what
works and what doesn't, and what the pitfalls may be....on the various makes
models and pre-existing OS of the client machines I manage. Self-education
falls within the parameters of "evaluation." I think I'm well within the
licensing obligations.
I was just hoping someone had some prior experience with an Acer Home
Premium bought off the shelf, that I'm having to deal with. It has some
funny customizations...eSecurity, etc. I know I can simply wipe the drive; I
was hoping to avoid that.
And please, no more remonstrances from legal eagles...
rgh1951

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "rgh1951" <rgh1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a legit technet sub product key and install DVD iso (extracted to
> > folder on a logical partition)...Can I just run setup from the Ultimate
> > folder and use the product key I have as a technet subscriber?? Is there
> > anything about Acer OS customization that would cause problems with this??
> > Any info would be appreciated

> You should burn a DVD from the ISO you have downloaded.
> Also I assume this is not your day to day machine that you use for regular
> tasks - if it is then you are NOT licensed to use the operating systems you
> get from TechNet they are for evaluation and demonstration use only.
> Please reread the master license agreement for the appropriate use of the
> TechNet software.
> from
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb404693.aspx
> "... Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in
> production environments. TechNet Plus subscriptions include the most recent
> Microsoft software version. Visit Microsoft Software License Terms for
> details on your use rights for evaluation software and other components of
> the TechNet Subscription product. ..."
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan

> No, this is not a day-to-day machine. "Evaluation" means figuring out
> what
> works and what doesn't, and what the pitfalls may be....on the various
> makes
> models and pre-existing OS of the client machines I manage.
> Self-education
> falls within the parameters of "evaluation." I think I'm well within the
> licensing obligations.
> I was just hoping someone had some prior experience with an Acer Home
> Premium bought off the shelf, that I'm having to deal with. It has some
> funny customizations...eSecurity, etc. I know I can simply wipe the
> drive; I
> was hoping to avoid that.
> And please, no more remonstrances from legal eagles...
> rgh1951

Unless you are home user with no other option you should perform a clean
install.
This will ensure the most stable system.
Obviously you should ensure you have all the available drives downloaded
from the Acer web site to support the device.
As regards additional third party software installed by Acer again removing
this will lead to a more stable system and you maybe able to download these
for reinstallation, however if you are in a corporate environment as is
intimated by the phrase "of the client machines I manage" You probably have
a set of corporate standard security product to install anyway, also having
a home user configured machine with the preinstalled OEM and additional
software is not a common corporate environment so you are unlikely to be
managing such a configuration and thus setting up your machine to as close
to those you manage to enable you to learn is more likely to be successful
in the long term as regards your education.

So when is your eval period going to end and you make a purchasing decision
to buy a retail OS for this machine (or repurpose the machine or another
eval of a product)? - as is the point of an evaluation product.
Note if this is what you consider a test machine then this is outside of the
TechNet license and you would normally use a MSDN subscription for this
purpose.

--

Mike Brannigan

"rgh1951" <rgh1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No, this is not a day-to-day machine. "Evaluation" means figuring out
> what
> works and what doesn't, and what the pitfalls may be....on the various
> makes
> models and pre-existing OS of the client machines I manage.
> Self-education
> falls within the parameters of "evaluation." I think I'm well within the
> licensing obligations.
> I was just hoping someone had some prior experience with an Acer Home
> Premium bought off the shelf, that I'm having to deal with. It has some
> funny customizations...eSecurity, etc. I know I can simply wipe the
> drive; I
> was hoping to avoid that.
> And please, no more remonstrances from legal eagles...
> rgh1951
>

> "Mike Brannigan" wrote:
>
>> "rgh1951" <rgh1951@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a legit technet sub product key and install DVD iso (extracted to
>> > folder on a logical partition)...Can I just run setup from the Ultimate
>> > folder and use the product key I have as a technet subscriber?? Is
>> > there
>> > anything about Acer OS customization that would cause problems with
>> > this??
>> > Any info would be appreciated

>> You should burn a DVD from the ISO you have downloaded.
>> Also I assume this is not your day to day machine that you use for
>> regular
>> tasks - if it is then you are NOT licensed to use the operating systems
>> you
>> get from TechNet they are for evaluation and demonstration use only.
>> Please reread the master license agreement for the appropriate use of the
>> TechNet software.
>> from
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb404693.aspx
>> "... Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in
>> production environments. TechNet Plus subscriptions include the most
>> recent
>> Microsoft software version. Visit Microsoft Software License Terms for
>> details on your use rights for evaluation software and other components
>> of
>> the TechNet Subscription product. ..."
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Brannigan

rgh1951

Re: Home Premium[Acer OEM] >Ultimate
I'm closing this... this is not a "corporate" environment. The prep is for
work in an academic environment; you know, tenured faculty who can buy
anything they want, even with a credit card off the shelf with their grant
money...I was hoping to find someone who had already sone what I have to
do...so I didn't spend time on redos....