Cannot Install Windows Vista

RDU

Cannot Install Windows Vista
When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the following
error dialog:

"This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."

This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro
with all updates through today.

Ideas? Thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
Your issue may occur if third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc creating programs,
such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7 interfere with the reading of the Windows Vista
DVD disc. To resolve this issue, uninstall the third-party burning program from the computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"RDU" wrote:

When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the following
error dialog:

"This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."

This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro
with all updates through today.

Ideas? Thanks.

RDU

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
Well Carey, you were right on that problem, thanks!

Now, I've run into a new problem (though it may be my misunderstanding of
how the upgrade system works). I purchased a fully licensed copy of Windows
Vista Home Premium. I also purchased an additional license for my laptop via
the Windows Family Discount program.

Well, it took the product key for the discount with no problem but would not
upgrade over XP Pro. My only option was to do a clean install. Am I to
presume this is my only route & that I have to use the Easy Transfer tool to
preserve my current settings, etc.?

--Randy
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Your issue may occur if third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc creating programs,
> such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7 interfere with the reading of the Windows Vista
> DVD disc. To resolve this issue, uninstall the third-party burning program from the computer.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "RDU" wrote:
>
> When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the following
> error dialog:
>
> "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
> that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."
>
> This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro
> with all updates through today.
>
> Ideas? Thanks.

RDU

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
I noted one error in my response back. I purchased a fully licensed version
of Ultimate, not Premium. The Premium version is what is loaded on other
computers under the family discount program.

"RDU" wrote:

> Well Carey, you were right on that problem, thanks!
>
> Now, I've run into a new problem (though it may be my misunderstanding of
> how the upgrade system works). I purchased a fully licensed copy of Windows
> Vista Home Premium. I also purchased an additional license for my laptop via
> the Windows Family Discount program.
>
> Well, it took the product key for the discount with no problem but would not
> upgrade over XP Pro. My only option was to do a clean install. Am I to
> presume this is my only route & that I have to use the Easy Transfer tool to
> preserve my current settings, etc.?
>
> --Randy
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Your issue may occur if third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc creating programs,
> > such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7 interfere with the reading of the Windows Vista
> > DVD disc. To resolve this issue, uninstall the third-party burning program from the computer.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows - Shell/User
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> >
> > "RDU" wrote:
> >
> > When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the following
> > error dialog:
> >
> > "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
> > that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."
> >
> > This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro
> > with all updates through today.
> >
> > Ideas? Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
RDU

You are correct in your assumptions. You can only upgrade XP Pro with Vista
Business or Ultimate. Any other version of Vista will require a clean
install.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"RDU" <RDU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well Carey, you were right on that problem, thanks!
>
> Now, I've run into a new problem (though it may be my misunderstanding of
> how the upgrade system works). I purchased a fully licensed copy of
> Windows
> Vista Home Premium. I also purchased an additional license for my laptop
> via
> the Windows Family Discount program.
>
> Well, it took the product key for the discount with no problem but would
> not
> upgrade over XP Pro. My only option was to do a clean install. Am I to
> presume this is my only route & that I have to use the Easy Transfer tool
> preserve my current settings, etc.?
>
> --Randy
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Your issue may occur if third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc
>> creating programs,
>> such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7 interfere with the reading of the
>> Windows Vista
>> DVD disc. To resolve this issue, uninstall the third-party burning
>> program from the computer.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>>
>> "RDU" wrote:
>>
>> When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the
>> following
>> error dialog:
>>
>> "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
>> that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."
>>
>> This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro
>> with all updates through today.
>>
>> Ideas? Thanks.

RDU

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
Ronnie--

Please note that I corrected myself in a subsequent post. I purchased a

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> RDU
>
> You are correct in your assumptions. You can only upgrade XP Pro with Vista
> Business or Ultimate. Any other version of Vista will require a clean
> install.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "RDU" <RDU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well Carey, you were right on that problem, thanks!
> >
> > Now, I've run into a new problem (though it may be my misunderstanding of
> > how the upgrade system works). I purchased a fully licensed copy of
> > Windows
> > Vista Home Premium. I also purchased an additional license for my laptop
> > via
> > the Windows Family Discount program.
> >
> > Well, it took the product key for the discount with no problem but would
> > not
> > upgrade over XP Pro. My only option was to do a clean install. Am I to
> > presume this is my only route & that I have to use the Easy Transfer tool
> > preserve my current settings, etc.?
> >
> > --Randy
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Your issue may occur if third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc
> >> creating programs,
> >> such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7 interfere with the reading of the
> >> Windows Vista
> >> DVD disc. To resolve this issue, uninstall the third-party burning
> >> program from the computer.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows - Shell/User
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> >>
> >> "RDU" wrote:
> >>
> >> When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the
> >> following
> >> error dialog:
> >>
> >> "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
> >> that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."
> >>
> >> This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro
> >> with all updates through today.
> >>
> >> Ideas? Thanks.

...winston

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
It might be a matter of syntax.
Did you purchase a fully licensed upgrade version of Vista Ultimate or a full retail licensed version of Vista Ultimate.
I am assuming the latter, therefore installation of the Vista Home Premium version when XP Pro is the prior qualifying o/s requires a clean install.
(i.e. it's not written anywhere but XP Pro to Home Premium is technically a downgrade).
Xp Home and XP Media Center are the only in-place upgrades available when Vista Home Premium is being installed.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

..winston

"RDU" <RDU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8841E0AA-1A45-47E1-8404-BDCBB4E0B408@microsoft.com...
: Ronnie--
:
: Please note that I corrected myself in a subsequent post. I purchased a
: fully licensed version of ULTIMATE, not PREMIUM. The Premium version is what
: is loaded on other computers under the family discount program.
:
: --Randy
:
: "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
:
: > RDU
: >
: > You are correct in your assumptions. You can only upgrade XP Pro with Vista
: > Business or Ultimate. Any other version of Vista will require a clean
: > install.
: >
: > --
: >
: > Ronnie Vernon
: > Microsoft MVP
: > Windows Shell/User
: >
: >
: > "RDU" <RDU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:F0423D6B-0A28-4D82-8DBF-635890E0B76C@microsoft.com...
: > > Well Carey, you were right on that problem, thanks!
: > >
: > > Now, I've run into a new problem (though it may be my misunderstanding of
: > > how the upgrade system works). I purchased a fully licensed copy of
: > > Windows
: > > Vista Home Premium. I also purchased an additional license for my laptop
: > > via
: > > the Windows Family Discount program.
: > >
: > > Well, it took the product key for the discount with no problem but would
: > > not
: > > upgrade over XP Pro. My only option was to do a clean install. Am I to
: > > presume this is my only route & that I have to use the Easy Transfer tool
: > > preserve my current settings, etc.?
: > >
: > > --Randy
: > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
: > >
: > >> Your issue may occur if third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc
: > >> creating programs,
: > >> such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7 interfere with the reading of the
: > >> Windows Vista
: > >> DVD disc. To resolve this issue, uninstall the third-party burning
: > >> program from the computer.
: > >>
: > >> --
: > >> Carey Frisch
: > >> Microsoft MVP
: > >> Windows - Shell/User
: > >>
: > >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
: > >>
: > >> "RDU" wrote:
: > >>
: > >> When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the
: > >> following
: > >> error dialog:
: > >>
: > >> "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
: > >> that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."
: > >>
: > >> This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro
: > >> with all updates through today.
: > >>
: > >> Ideas? Thanks.
: > >>
: >
RDU

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
No, I purchased a fully licensed upgrade version of Vista Ultimate. By
purchasing the additional license through the Family Discount program, I was
then given a product key to upgrade 2 other computers in my home to Vista
Premium using the Ultimate DVD.

However, based on your response & went back to the original family discount
page & it states:

"Purchase the Windows Vista Ultimate retail boxed product, and you can
upgrade up to two additional PCs in your household to Windows Vista Home
Premium for only $49.99 ($59.99 CAD) each.*"

So, I would have had to purchase the retail version, not the upgrade
version. What a rip! Of course, I found out afterwards via the "Windows
Secrets" newsletter that there were workarounds to MS's scheme. Oh well,
since I had done a clean install of XP Pro prior, with minimal software
installation afterwards, doing a clean install of Premium won't be so bad.

Live & learn with good 'ole MS... :-)

"...winston" wrote:

> [...]
> : > >>
> : > >> --
> : > >> Carey Frisch
> : > >> Microsoft MVP
> : > >> Windows - Shell/User
> : > >>
> : > >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
> : > >>
> : > >> "RDU" wrote:
> : > >>
> : > >> When I attempted to install Vista on my HP laptop I received the
> : > >> following
> : > >> error dialog:
> : > >>
> : > >> "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
> : > >> that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification."
> : > >>
> : > >> This makes no sense as I'm trying to upgrade on a clean install of XP Pro

...winston

Re: Cannot Install Windows Vista
You would have had to purchase the **full** retail Ultimate version not the **upgrade** retail Ultimate version.
...winston

: "...winston" wrote:
:
: > It might be a matter of syntax.
: > Did you purchase a fully licensed upgrade version of Vista Ultimate or a full retail licensed version of Vista Ultimate.
: > I am assuming the latter, therefore installation of the Vista Home Premium version when XP Pro is the prior qualifying o/s requires a clean install.
: > (i.e. it's not written anywhere but XP Pro to Home Premium is technically a downgrade).
: > Xp Home and XP Media Center are the only in-place upgrades available when Vista Home Premium is being installed.
: > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
: >
: > ..winston
: >
: > "RDU" <RDU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8841E0AA-1A45-47E1-8404-BDCBB4E0B408@microsoft.com...
: > : Ronnie--
: > :
: > : Please note that I corrected myself in a subsequent post. I purchased a
: > : fully licensed version of ULTIMATE, not PREMIUM. The Premium version is what
: > : is loaded on other computers under the family discount program.
: > :
: > : --Randy
: > :
: > : "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
: > :
: > : > RDU
: > : >
: > : > You are correct in your assumptions. You can only upgrade XP Pro with Vista
: > : > Business or Ultimate. Any other version of Vista will require a clean
: > : > install.
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : >
: > : > Ronnie Vernon
: > : > Microsoft MVP
: > : > Windows Shell/User
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > "RDU" <RDU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > : > news:F0423D6B-0A28-4D82-8DBF-635890E0B76C@microsoft.com...
: > : > > Well Carey, you were right on that problem, thanks!
: > : > >
: > : > > Now, I've run into a new problem (though it may be my misunderstanding of
: > : > > how the upgrade system works). I purchased a fully licensed copy of
: > : > > Windows
: > : > > Vista Home Premium. I also purchased an additional license for my laptop
: > : > > via
: > : > > the Windows Family Discount program.
: > : > >
: > : > > Well, it took the product key for the discount with no problem but would
: > : > > not
: > : > > upgrade over XP Pro. My only option was to do a clean install. Am I to
: > : > > presume this is my only route & that I have to use the Easy Transfer tool
: > : > > preserve my current settings, etc.?
: > : > >
: > : > > --Randy
: > : > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
: > : > >
: > : > >> Your issue may occur if third-party DVD movie players or DVD disc
: > : > >> creating programs,
: > : > >> such as InterVideo Launcher or Nero 7 interfere with the reading of the
: > : > >> Windows Vista
: > : > >> DVD disc. To resolve this issue, uninstall the third-party burning
: > : > >> program from the computer.
: > : > >> Carey Frisch
: > : > >> Microsoft MVP
: > : > >> Windows - Shell/User