Need help dual-booting Vista and XP

Hiawatha Bray

Need help dual-booting Vista and XP
I have a PC with two hard drives, one with XP, the other Vista. I had them
dual-booting nicely, using the Windows Boot Manager that I installed when I
first installed Vista. But I just did a complete reinstall of XP, and the
boot manager is gone. I don't know how to reinstall the boot manager so I
can dual-boot again. The machine just boots into XP. I want to use both.
How can I reinstall the boot manager? Thanks.

Jack

Re: Need help dual-booting Vista and XP
1.
Just copy out one executable file from Vista install DVD - bootsect.exe.
Save it somewhere, for example on D:\. After you
installed XP run this command from XP command line: d:\bootsect /nt60 c:
/force. It will restore correct Vista bootsector and at the next restart
you will see your previous Vista's bootmenu.
You must also copy out and restore a hidden file bootmgr.
2.
If on C: drive you have a hidden \Boot catalog, then copy it out before
formatting C: and restore it thereafter.
Jack

You must also copy out and restore a hidden file bootmgr. Sorry.
"Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
>I have a PC with two hard drives, one with XP, the other Vista. I had them
>dual-booting nicely, using the Windows Boot Manager that I installed when I
>first installed Vista. But I just did a complete reinstall of XP, and the
>boot manager is gone. I don't know how to reinstall the boot manager so I
>can dual-boot again. The machine just boots into XP. I want to use both.
>How can I reinstall the boot manager? Thanks.

...winston

Re: Need help dual-booting Vista and XP
Install Vista Boot Pro or EasyBCD

Here are some instructions that might help:
VistaBoot Pro
http://www.vistabootpro.org/
Screenshots
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/al....php?cat_id=69
Instructions
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88231

Easy BCD
http://neosmart.net/gallery/v/neosmart/EasyBCD/1_60/
FAQ's
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/FAQ
Documentation
http://neosmart.net/wiki/download/at...umentation.pdf

Alternative..see the section Restoring Vista Dual Booting on this link for more EasyBCD info
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

..winston

"Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message news:uDlfi.4961$pT4.2681@trndny06...
:I have a PC with two hard drives, one with XP, the other Vista. I had them
: dual-booting nicely, using the Windows Boot Manager that I installed when I
: first installed Vista. But I just did a complete reinstall of XP, and the
: boot manager is gone. I don't know how to reinstall the boot manager so I
: can dual-boot again. The machine just boots into XP. I want to use both.
: How can I reinstall the boot manager? Thanks.
:
:
Fishb8

Re: Need help dual-booting Vista and XP

Hi
I'm no guru but have just done a Vista/XP dual boot. You need to download
VistaBootPro 3.3 & .Net Framework 2.0 (from Microsoft, both free).
Install the .NetFramework 2.0, first then the VistaBootPro.
Open Vista BootPro, ignore the prompt to back up your BCD. Go to the
Bootloader tab and "Re-install the Vista bootloader".
Next, go the diagnostics tab and select "Run Diagnostics". Here you can
rename both OS and select whichever one you want for default + the timer to
chose, at boot-up.

> You must also copy out and restore a hidden file bootmgr. Sorry.
> "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
>>I have a PC with two hard drives, one with XP, the other Vista. I had
>>them dual-booting nicely, using the Windows Boot Manager that I installed
>>when I first installed Vista. But I just did a complete reinstall of XP,
>>and the boot manager is gone. I don't know how to reinstall the boot
>>manager so I can dual-boot again. The machine just boots into XP. I want
>>to use both. How can I reinstall the boot manager? Thanks.

Hiawatha Bray

Re: Need help dual-booting Vista and XP
I did everything you suggested, but it didn't work. Gonna try some of the
other suggestions...thanks much.

"Fishb8" <royandros@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> Hi
> I'm no guru but have just done a Vista/XP dual boot. You need to download
> VistaBootPro 3.3 & .Net Framework 2.0 (from Microsoft, both free).
> Install the .NetFramework 2.0, first then the VistaBootPro.
> Open Vista BootPro, ignore the prompt to back up your BCD. Go to the
> Bootloader tab and "Re-install the Vista bootloader".
> Next, go the diagnostics tab and select "Run Diagnostics". Here you can
> rename both OS and select whichever one you want for default + the timer
> to chose, at boot-up.
>
>> You must also copy out and restore a hidden file bootmgr. Sorry.
>> "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a PC with two hard drives, one with XP, the other Vista. I had
>>>them dual-booting nicely, using the Windows Boot Manager that I installed
>>>when I first installed Vista. But I just did a complete reinstall of XP,
>>>and the boot manager is gone. I don't know how to reinstall the boot
>>>manager so I can dual-boot again. The machine just boots into XP. I
>>>want to use both. How can I reinstall the boot manager? Thanks.

Hiawatha Bray

Re: Need help dual-booting Vista and XP
I don't understand. I have to format my C drive? I don't wanna do that. I
don't have a hidden \Boot catalog anyway.

Can I just run the Vista command instead?

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> 1.
> Just copy out one executable file from Vista install DVD - bootsect.exe.
> Save it somewhere, for example on D:\. After you
> installed XP run this command from XP command line: d:\bootsect /nt60 c:
> /force. It will restore correct Vista bootsector and at the next restart
> you will see your previous Vista's bootmenu.
> You must also copy out and restore a hidden file bootmgr.
> 2.
> If on C: drive you have a hidden \Boot catalog, then copy it out before
> formatting C: and restore it thereafter.
> Jack
>

> You must also copy out and restore a hidden file bootmgr. Sorry.
> "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
>>I have a PC with two hard drives, one with XP, the other Vista. I had
>>them dual-booting nicely, using the Windows Boot Manager that I installed
>>when I first installed Vista. But I just did a complete reinstall of XP,
>>and the boot manager is gone. I don't know how to reinstall the boot
>>manager so I can dual-boot again. The machine just boots into XP. I want
>>to use both. How can I reinstall the boot manager? Thanks.

Don

Hiawatha Bray wrote:
> I did everything you suggested, but it didn't work. Gonna try some of the
> other suggestions...thanks much.

You also need to use the 'all disks' option in VistaBootPro when you
install the Vista bootloader. It should work if you do that.

Don wrote:
> Hiawatha Bray wrote:
>> I did everything you suggested, but it didn't work. Gonna try some of
>> the other suggestions...thanks much.

> You also need to use the 'all disks' option in VistaBootPro when you
> install the Vista bootloader. It should work if you do that.

Oops, I should mentioned that VistaBootPro does exactly what Jack
recommended about bootsect.exe, but with very slightly less effort.

...winston

Re: Need help dual-booting Vista and XP
The easiest way to do this is with Vista Boot Pro or EasyBCD.
Links for both and instructions provided in another post in this same thread.
...winston

"Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message news:lcCfi.5672$XH5.3825@trndny02...
[...]
: >
: >
: > You must also copy out and restore a hidden file bootmgr. Sorry.
: > "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
: > news:uDlfi.4961$pT4.2681@trndny06...
: >>I have a PC with two hard drives, one with XP, the other Vista. I had
: >>them dual-booting nicely, using the Windows Boot Manager that I installed
: >>when I first installed Vista. But I just did a complete reinstall of XP,
: >>and the boot manager is gone. I don't know how to reinstall the boot
: >>manager so I can dual-boot again. The machine just boots into XP. I want
: >>to use both. How can I reinstall the boot manager? Thanks.
: >>
: >
: >
:
:
Hiawatha Bray

Re: Need help dual-booting Vista and XP
I don't understand...I keep running Vista Boot Pro. It doesn't work. I
didn the bootsect.exe thing too and it didn't work. I don't get it. What
can I do? Thanks!