My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7

Paul Moore

My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7
Hello (this is great, I just discovered the msnews server!).

My new laptop finally arrived from Dell with Vista installed. This is my
first exposure to Vista. The machine is installed with Vista Business. I use
a home wired-only network, with two other PCs (running XP Home) and a
networked printer attached. My workgroup is named "HOME". I have two
problems that I don't know how to solve. All machines are "pingable" from
one other, and the XP Home machines have the latest updates applied.

- I can't access the internet using the pre-installed IE7. I managed to copy
across and install Firefox, and this works fine. Any ideas why this could
be?

- Also, when I select "Network and Sharing Center", only the new laptop is
shown connected to "Internet" through "Network". I supose that "Network"
corresponds to my workgroup "HOME". When I click on "View full map", one of
the other PCs is shown connected to the LAN (shared maps on this PC are
accessible). The other PC (its shared maps are not accessible) and the
printer (its shared maps are accessible) are listed under the heading "The
following discovered device(s) can not be placed in the map". What does this
mean?

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks,
Paul

XS11E

Re: My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7
"Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote:

> - I can't access the internet using the pre-installed IE7. I
> managed to copy across and install Firefox, and this works fine.
> Any ideas why this could be?

What happens when you try to access the internet with IE7? Any error
messages?

> - Also, when I select "Network and Sharing Center", only the new
> laptop is shown connected to "Internet" through "Network". I
> supose that "Network" corresponds to my workgroup "HOME". When I
> click on "View full map", one of the other PCs is shown connected
> to the LAN (shared maps on this PC are accessible). The other PC
> (its shared maps are not accessible) and the printer (its shared
> maps are accessible) are listed under the heading "The following
> discovered device(s) can not be placed in the map". What does this
> mean?

I think you should call Dell on both problems since the laptop is brand
new, they may have some easy fix for you.

Duncan

Re: My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7
On the network map question/view, you should click under tasks - "Why are
some computers and devices missing?". The answer is to installed a special
file on your XP machines, and the help file points you in the right
direction.

Cheers

"Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hello (this is great, I just discovered the msnews server!).
>
> My new laptop finally arrived from Dell with Vista installed. This is my
> first exposure to Vista. The machine is installed with Vista Business. I
> use a home wired-only network, with two other PCs (running XP Home) and a
> networked printer attached. My workgroup is named "HOME". I have two
> problems that I don't know how to solve. All machines are "pingable" from
> one other, and the XP Home machines have the latest updates applied.
>
> - I can't access the internet using the pre-installed IE7. I managed to
> copy across and install Firefox, and this works fine. Any ideas why this
> could be?
>
> - Also, when I select "Network and Sharing Center", only the new laptop is
> shown connected to "Internet" through "Network". I supose that "Network"
> corresponds to my workgroup "HOME". When I click on "View full map", one
> of the other PCs is shown connected to the LAN (shared maps on this PC are
> accessible). The other PC (its shared maps are not accessible) and the
> printer (its shared maps are accessible) are listed under the heading "The
> following discovered device(s) can not be placed in the map". What does
> this mean?
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

Richard Urban

Re: My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7
All computers on your little network must have the same work group name
applied. Each computer must have it's own computer name, such as Bob1 -
Bob2 - Bob3 etc.

Each computer must/should have a secure logon - name and password.

Are you connected through a router or are you trying to get to the internet
through network sharing, implemented on another computer? A router is the
way to go for a network, small or large.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hello (this is great, I just discovered the msnews server!).
>
> My new laptop finally arrived from Dell with Vista installed. This is my
> first exposure to Vista. The machine is installed with Vista Business. I
> use a home wired-only network, with two other PCs (running XP Home) and a
> networked printer attached. My workgroup is named "HOME". I have two
> problems that I don't know how to solve. All machines are "pingable" from
> one other, and the XP Home machines have the latest updates applied.
>
> - I can't access the internet using the pre-installed IE7. I managed to
> copy across and install Firefox, and this works fine. Any ideas why this
> could be?
>
> - Also, when I select "Network and Sharing Center", only the new laptop is
> shown connected to "Internet" through "Network". I supose that "Network"
> corresponds to my workgroup "HOME". When I click on "View full map", one
> of the other PCs is shown connected to the LAN (shared maps on this PC are
> accessible). The other PC (its shared maps are not accessible) and the
> printer (its shared maps are accessible) are listed under the heading "The
> following discovered device(s) can not be placed in the map". What does
> this mean?
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

...winston

Re: My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7
For Question 2:

Vista Internet Connectivity Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
Msft KB article on Router type vs Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134
- you should be using a router with WPA2-PSK encryption
XP Wifi 2 Update(download and install on all XP units)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021

Network Map Tool patch for XP (install on all XP machines)
- tool is only for Vista to display the presence of XP network connected machines. It does not resolve any network sharing issues.

Other links that may help you on your quest
File and Print Sharing in Vista
Windows Vista Help Share files with someone
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...509051033.mspx
NetBios Enable( Enable on all units when XP Home is present)
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ver-tcpip.html
http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/netbt.htm
PChuck's Network(loads of solid information)
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html

..winston

:
[...]

Many thanks all,

When I try to use IE7, it tries to navigate to
I get a Google logo on the screen (why is this?), with the message
"Not found. The requested URL fwlink/?LinkId=76277 was not found on this
server"

When I try to move to www.msn.com the Google home page appears (again, why
is this?) , but then I can't do anything else.

I had already installed the LLTD Responder on the XP machines.

I am using a router a D-Link DI-604. I went to their web site to check for
Vista compatibility, it seems that no driver/firmware update is required
http://www.dlink.ca/products/vista-support/

I'll contact Dell with my problem, and look up those links

Thanks again,
Paul

"Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hello (this is great, I just discovered the msnews server!).
>
> My new laptop finally arrived from Dell with Vista installed. This is my
> first exposure to Vista. The machine is installed with Vista Business. I
> use a home wired-only network, with two other PCs (running XP Home) and a
> networked printer attached. My workgroup is named "HOME". I have two
> problems that I don't know how to solve. All machines are "pingable" from
> one other, and the XP Home machines have the latest updates applied.
>
> - I can't access the internet using the pre-installed IE7. I managed to
> copy across and install Firefox, and this works fine. Any ideas why this
> could be?
>
> - Also, when I select "Network and Sharing Center", only the new laptop is
> shown connected to "Internet" through "Network". I supose that "Network"
> corresponds to my workgroup "HOME". When I click on "View full map", one
> of the other PCs is shown connected to the LAN (shared maps on this PC are
> accessible). The other PC (its shared maps are not accessible) and the
> printer (its shared maps are accessible) are listed under the heading "The
> following discovered device(s) can not be placed in the map". What does
> this mean?
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Many thanks,
> Paul

Richard Urban

Re: My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7
Start by uninstalling anything "Google" from your computer. Don't just
delete files and folders - uninstall the Google applications.

--

> Many thanks all,
>
> When I try to use IE7, it tries to navigate to
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=76277
> I get a Google logo on the screen (why is this?), with the message
> "Not found. The requested URL fwlink/?LinkId=76277 was not found on
> this server"
>
> When I try to move to www.msn.com the Google home page appears (again, why
> is this?) , but then I can't do anything else.
>
> I had already installed the LLTD Responder on the XP machines.
>
> I am using a router a D-Link DI-604. I went to their web site to check for
> Vista compatibility, it seems that no driver/firmware update is required
> http://www.dlink.ca/products/vista-support/
>
> I'll contact Dell with my problem, and look up those links
>
> Thanks again,
> Paul
>

> "Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message
>> Hello (this is great, I just discovered the msnews server!).
>>
>> My new laptop finally arrived from Dell with Vista installed. This is my
>> first exposure to Vista. The machine is installed with Vista Business. I
>> use a home wired-only network, with two other PCs (running XP Home) and a
>> networked printer attached. My workgroup is named "HOME". I have two
>> problems that I don't know how to solve. All machines are "pingable" from
>> one other, and the XP Home machines have the latest updates applied.
>>
>> - I can't access the internet using the pre-installed IE7. I managed to
>> copy across and install Firefox, and this works fine. Any ideas why this
>> could be?
>>
>> - Also, when I select "Network and Sharing Center", only the new laptop
>> is shown connected to "Internet" through "Network". I supose that
>> "Network" corresponds to my workgroup "HOME". When I click on "View full
>> map", one of the other PCs is shown connected to the LAN (shared maps on
>> this PC are accessible). The other PC (its shared maps are not
>> accessible) and the printer (its shared maps are accessible) are listed
>> under the heading "The following discovered device(s) can not be placed
>> in the map". What does this mean?
>>
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Paul

...winston

Re: My first experience with Vista - can't access web with IE7
In addition to Richard's suggestion on Google Removal(it was probably installed by other software if not independently)...
Do you have Home Page blocking as an option in either your AV or other resident security software?
...winston

"Paul Moore" <pauldotmoore@pandora.be> wrote in message news:e6vgI5ktHHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
: Many thanks all,
: