Cant connect via Broadband to internet.

Organics

Cant connect via Broadband to internet.
Im not able to get the PC to connect to the internet. I just purchased this
PC with Vista already installed. I hooked my cable modem via ethernet too it,
followed the "connect too the internet" steps Windows Vista tells you to do,
and it says there is no connection. I tried disabling the firewall and doing
it again, and nothing. I also tried the self troubleshooting, auto
repair...etc. and it still says there is no connection. Yet when I plug the
ethernet braodband cable into my old PC with Windows XP, the internet fires
right up. Does anyone have any clue why I might be having trouble connecting
too the internet?

Richard Urban

Re: Cant connect via Broadband to internet.
You "just" purchased the PC? Take it back for one that works.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Organics" <Organics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im not able to get the PC to connect to the internet. I just purchased
> this
> PC with Vista already installed. I hooked my cable modem via ethernet too
> it,
> followed the "connect too the internet" steps Windows Vista tells you to
> do,
> and it says there is no connection. I tried disabling the firewall and
> doing
> it again, and nothing. I also tried the self troubleshooting, auto
> repair...etc. and it still says there is no connection. Yet when I plug
> the
> ethernet braodband cable into my old PC with Windows XP, the internet
> fires
> right up. Does anyone have any clue why I might be having trouble
> connecting
> too the internet?

Rick Rogers

Re: Cant connect via Broadband to internet.
Hi,

Click start, type CMD and then right click the menu entry and choose 'run as
administrator'. From the prompt, run 'ipconfig /all'. Post back with the
ethernet IPv4 address, Default gateway address, and node type.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Organics" <Organics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im not able to get the PC to connect to the internet. I just purchased
> this
> PC with Vista already installed. I hooked my cable modem via ethernet too
> it,
> followed the "connect too the internet" steps Windows Vista tells you to
> do,
> and it says there is no connection. I tried disabling the firewall and
> doing
> it again, and nothing. I also tried the self troubleshooting, auto
> repair...etc. and it still says there is no connection. Yet when I plug
> the
> ethernet braodband cable into my old PC with Windows XP, the internet
> fires
> right up. Does anyone have any clue why I might be having trouble
> connecting
> too the internet?

Mr. Arnold

Re: Cant connect via Broadband to internet.

"Organics" <Organics@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im not able to get the PC to connect to the internet. I just purchased
> this
> PC with Vista already installed. I hooked my cable modem via ethernet too
> it,
> followed the "connect too the internet" steps Windows Vista tells you to
> do,
> and it says there is no connection. I tried disabling the firewall and
> doing
> it again, and nothing. I also tried the self troubleshooting, auto
> repair...etc. and it still says there is no connection. Yet when I plug
> the
> ethernet braodband cable into my old PC with Windows XP, the internet
> fires
> right up. Does anyone have any clue why I might be having trouble
> connecting
> too the internet?

It seems to me that ISP knows about the NIC's MAC on the machine that's
running XP. The ISP doesn't know about the NIC's MAC of the machine that's
running Vista. Therefore, the Vista machine cannot connect to the ISP's
network, while the XP machine can do it.

Some ISP's verify the first MAC past the modem, and if the MAC is not a MAC
that has been provisioned by the ISP, then the device that's presenting that
MAC will not be able to connect to the ISP's network ---- no Internet
connection.