I have no more activations left, help!

Calvin W.

I have no more activations left, help!
I have used up all of my activations. Now my computers hard-drive is messed
up beyond return and I have no choice but to re-format. Please someone, tell
me what to do to get my current activation canceled and that way I can make a
new one

Bruce Chambers

Calvin W. wrote:
> I have used up all of my activations.

Sorry, but that's just not possible.

There's no limit to the number of times you can reinstall and
activate the same Vista license on the same PC. Nor is there ever a
charge. Nor does a Product Key (so long as it's not an evaluation
license) ever expire. If it's been more than 120 days since you last
activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to
activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less, you might
have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

> Now my computers hard-drive is messed
> up beyond return and I have no choice but to re-format.

That's rarely the case, but there are occasions when a format and
re-installation is the quicker process.

> Please someone, tell
> me what to do to get my current activation canceled and that way I can make a
> new one

There is no "de-activation" process. Simply reinstall and activate by
telephone.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Barnett MVP

Re: I have no more activations left, help!
Bruce I can't remember the exact wording but it is possible to have a
message appear telling you that you have used up all your activations, I
should know I've had it happen to me enough times:-) To be honest I have two
copies of Windows XP that tell me that I've used up all my activations
sitting on my desk at the moment. However, as has been pointed out, a simple
telephone call to the activation line should solve the problem. As you say
there is no limit on the number of activations. In my case the problem was
due to installing VMware Workstation beta and allowing it to set an 8GB
partition fro XP when, really I needed more room. When I received a full
copy of VMware I uninstalled the beta, reinstalled the RTM copy and decided
to install XP again on a 14GB partition. Upon attempting to activate I got
the 'sorry you've used up all your activations' message. I then tried my
second copy of XP and that resulted in the same message ( the 120 days
'grace' period hadn't expired) because I was in a hurry I finally ended up
using my third XP product key and this one activated without any problem.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

> Calvin W. wrote:
>> I have used up all of my activations.

> Sorry, but that's just not possible.
>
> There's no limit to the number of times you can reinstall and activate
> the same Vista license on the same PC. Nor is there ever a charge. Nor
> does a Product Key (so long as it's not an evaluation license) ever
> expire. If it's been more than 120 days since you last activated that
> specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to activate via the
> Internet without problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5
> minute phone call.
>
> Here are the facts pertaining to activation:
>
> Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/
>
> Windows Product Activation (WPA)
> http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
>

>> Now my computers hard-drive is messed up beyond return and I have no
>> choice but to re-format.

> That's rarely the case, but there are occasions when a format and
> re-installation is the quicker process.
>

>> Please someone, tell me what to do to get my current activation canceled
>> and that way I can make a new one

> There is no "de-activation" process. Simply reinstall and activate by
> telephone.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
> Russell

Brett I. Holcomb

Re: I have no more activations left, help!
Do the install, then call the telephone number given and explain what
happened.

Calvin W. wrote:
> I have used up all of my activations. Now my computers hard-drive is messed
> up beyond return and I have no choice but to re-format. Please someone, tell
> me what to do to get my current activation canceled and that way I can make a
> new one

John Barnett MVP

Re: I have no more activations left, help!
Bruce I can't remember the exact wording but it is possible to have a
message appear telling you that you have used up all your activations, I
should know I've had it happen to me enough times:-) To be honest I have two
copies of Windows XP that tell me that I've used up all my activations
sitting on my desk at the moment. However, as has been pointed out, a simple
telephone call to the activation line should solve the problem. As you say
there is no limit on the number of activations. In my case the problem was
due to installing VMware Workstation beta and allowing it to set an 8GB
partition fro XP when, really I needed more room. When I received a full
copy of VMware I uninstalled the beta, reinstalled the RTM copy and decided
to install XP again on a 14GB partition. Upon attempting to activate I got
the 'sorry you've used up all your activations' message. I then tried my
second copy of XP and that resulted in the same message ( the 120 days
'grace' period hadn't expired) because I was in a hurry I finally ended up
using my third XP product key and this one activated without any problem.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

> Calvin W. wrote:
>> I have used up all of my activations.

> Sorry, but that's just not possible.
>
> There's no limit to the number of times you can reinstall and activate
> the same Vista license on the same PC. Nor is there ever a charge. Nor
> does a Product Key (so long as it's not an evaluation license) ever
> expire. If it's been more than 120 days since you last activated that
> specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to activate via the
> Internet without problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5
> minute phone call.
>
> Here are the facts pertaining to activation:
>
> Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/
>
> Windows Product Activation (WPA)
> http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
>

>> Now my computers hard-drive is messed up beyond return and I have no
>> choice but to re-format.

> That's rarely the case, but there are occasions when a format and
> re-installation is the quicker process.
>

>> Please someone, tell me what to do to get my current activation canceled
>> and that way I can make a new one

> There is no "de-activation" process. Simply reinstall and activate by
> telephone.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
> Russell

Bruce Chambers

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> Bruce I can't remember the exact wording but it is possible to have a
> message appear telling you that you have used up all your activations, I
> should know I've had it happen to me enough times:-) To be honest I have
> two
> copies of Windows XP that tell me that I've used up all my activations
> sitting on my desk at the moment. However, as has been pointed out, a
> simple
> telephone call to the activation line should solve the problem. As you say
> there is no limit on the number of activations. In my case the problem was
> due to installing VMware Workstation beta and allowing it to set an 8GB
> partition fro XP when, really I needed more room. When I received a full
> copy of VMware I uninstalled the beta, reinstalled the RTM copy and decided
> to install XP again on a 14GB partition. Upon attempting to activate I got
> the 'sorry you've used up all your activations' message. I then tried my
> second copy of XP and that resulted in the same message ( the 120 days
> 'grace' period hadn't expired) because I was in a hurry I finally ended up
> using my third XP product key and this one activated without any problem.

The error message you (and the OP, obviously) received is somewhat
misleading. What it really means is that Microsoft's database thinks
you've activated "via the Internet too many times within the last 120
days." Because there is usually no sound technical reason for
reinstalling and re-activating WinXP so frequently, the automatic
presumption is that the OS is being installed on multiple machines.

I really think Microsoft should fix this message, but it is, in
reality, a relatively minor "cosmetic" issue, so they're probably giving
more weight to some silly cost-benefit analysis more than they are their
customers' occasional confusion.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Seth

> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>> Bruce I can't remember the exact wording but it is possible to have a
>> message appear telling you that you have used up all your activations, I
>> should know I've had it happen to me enough times:-) To be honest I have
>> two
>> copies of Windows XP that tell me that I've used up all my activations
>> sitting on my desk at the moment. However, as has been pointed out, a
>> simple
>> telephone call to the activation line should solve the problem. As you
>> say
>> there is no limit on the number of activations. In my case the problem
>> was
>> due to installing VMware Workstation beta and allowing it to set an 8GB
>> partition fro XP when, really I needed more room. When I received a full
>> copy of VMware I uninstalled the beta, reinstalled the RTM copy and
>> decided
>> to install XP again on a 14GB partition. Upon attempting to activate I
>> got
>> the 'sorry you've used up all your activations' message. I then tried my
>> second copy of XP and that resulted in the same message ( the 120 days
>> 'grace' period hadn't expired) because I was in a hurry I finally ended
>> up
>> using my third XP product key and this one activated without any problem.
>>

> The error message you (and the OP, obviously) received is somewhat
> misleading. What it really means is that Microsoft's database thinks
> you've activated "via the Internet too many times within the last 120
> days." Because there is usually no sound technical reason for
> reinstalling and re-activating WinXP so frequently, the automatic
> presumption is that the OS is being installed on multiple machines.
>
> I really think Microsoft should fix this message, but it is, in reality, a
> relatively minor "cosmetic" issue, so they're probably giving more weight
> to some silly cost-benefit analysis more than they are their customers'
> occasional confusion.

You sure the license in question isn't a MAK key and he really has used up
all his activations? A MAK key does have a finite number of activations.