Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?

Computer_Rage

Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?
Hi,.

After a few software issues I decided to reinstall Vista. Thinking that this
was previously the easiest OS I had ever installed I thought I’d just start
from scratch. I booted up XP Pro off a secondary HDD, and formatted the
entire HDD that Vista was on (NTFS).

Now ready for the reinstall, I unplugged the XP drive, changed the BIOS to
load from CD and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately the installation of Vista
Home Premium on the completely formatted HDD stalls. I have tried at least 8
times and it hangs at different places. The closest I got was creating a user
profile before it stopped.

Vista was previously installed with no problems at all and was running fine
for a few months. I didn’t have to provide drivers, it just worked fine the
first time. I have not changed any hardware since then, and only changed a
few setting in BIOS whilst trying to sort out a Zonealarm problem. Changes
included the boot order (CD, HDD etc), and at one stage I disabled all the
HDD trying to boot only from CD.

as it stalls at different places, and I had previously got up to creating a
user profile?

So prior to launching the computer through the window…does anyone have any
suggestions?

Pentium 4 3.0G, 1.2G RAM, nVidia 7600GT, 2xSATA HDD, Gigabyte MOBO…at work
atm can’t remember model

C Smith

Re: Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?
It wouldn't be SATA drivers, Vista has them built in and understands SATA
natively.

Check the disk for dirt/scratches. Unplug peripherals during install, reset
the bios,
reformat the disk with the Vista dvd do a long format. Sometimes the install
will
hang let it sit for an hour or two.

It could be bad hardware, may have even caused the original software
problems.

Just a few thoughts.

"Computer_Rage" <Computer_Rage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,.
>
> After a few software issues I decided to reinstall Vista. Thinking that
> this
> was previously the easiest OS I had ever installed I thought I’d just
> start
> from scratch. I booted up XP Pro off a secondary HDD, and formatted the
> entire HDD that Vista was on (NTFS).
>
> Now ready for the reinstall, I unplugged the XP drive, changed the BIOS to
> load from CD and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately the installation of
> Vista
> Home Premium on the completely formatted HDD stalls. I have tried at least
> 8
> times and it hangs at different places. The closest I got was creating a
> user
> profile before it stopped.
>
> Vista was previously installed with no problems at all and was running
> fine
> for a few months. I didn’t have to provide drivers, it just worked fine
> the
> first time. I have not changed any hardware since then, and only changed a
> few setting in BIOS whilst trying to sort out a Zonealarm problem. Changes
> included the boot order (CD, HDD etc), and at one stage I disabled all the
> HDD trying to boot only from CD.

> as it stalls at different places, and I had previously got up to creating
> user profile?
>
> So prior to launching the computer through the window…does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Pentium 4 3.0G, 1.2G RAM, nVidia 7600GT, 2xSATA HDD, Gigabyte MOBO…at work
> atm can’t remember model

R. C. White

Re: Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?
Hi, Computer_Rage.

Please tell us if your Vista Home Premium is x86 or x64, and if it is a full
retail package, the update version or an OEM version. It might not matter,
but then, it might.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Computer_Rage" <Computer_Rage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,.
>
> After a few software issues I decided to reinstall Vista. Thinking that
> this
> was previously the easiest OS I had ever installed I thought I’d just
> start
> from scratch. I booted up XP Pro off a secondary HDD, and formatted the
> entire HDD that Vista was on (NTFS).
>
> Now ready for the reinstall, I unplugged the XP drive, changed the BIOS to
> load from CD and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately the installation of
> Vista
> Home Premium on the completely formatted HDD stalls. I have tried at least
> 8
> times and it hangs at different places. The closest I got was creating a
> user
> profile before it stopped.
>
> Vista was previously installed with no problems at all and was running
> fine
> for a few months. I didn’t have to provide drivers, it just worked fine
> the
> first time. I have not changed any hardware since then, and only changed a
> few setting in BIOS whilst trying to sort out a Zonealarm problem. Changes
> included the boot order (CD, HDD etc), and at one stage I disabled all the
> HDD trying to boot only from CD.

> as it stalls at different places, and I had previously got up to creating
> user profile?
>
> So prior to launching the computer through the window…does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Pentium 4 3.0G, 1.2G RAM, nVidia 7600GT, 2xSATA HDD, Gigabyte MOBO…at work
> atm can’t remember model

Computer_Rage

Re: Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?
Hi, the version is x86 I think. It's an OEM version.

Also the MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-8I915P-G. The SATA drive was brand new on
initial installation.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Computer_Rage.
>
> Please tell us if your Vista Home Premium is x86 or x64, and if it is a full
> retail package, the update version or an OEM version. It might not matter,
> but then, it might.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Computer_Rage" <Computer_Rage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,.
> >
> > After a few software issues I decided to reinstall Vista. Thinking that
> > this
> > was previously the easiest OS I had ever installed I thought I’d just
> > start
> > from scratch. I booted up XP Pro off a secondary HDD, and formatted the
> > entire HDD that Vista was on (NTFS).
> >
> > Now ready for the reinstall, I unplugged the XP drive, changed the BIOS to
> > load from CD and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately the installation of
> > Vista
> > Home Premium on the completely formatted HDD stalls. I have tried at least
> > 8
> > times and it hangs at different places. The closest I got was creating a
> > user
> > profile before it stopped.
> >
> > Vista was previously installed with no problems at all and was running
> > fine
> > for a few months. I didn’t have to provide drivers, it just worked fine
> > the
> > first time. I have not changed any hardware since then, and only changed a
> > few setting in BIOS whilst trying to sort out a Zonealarm problem. Changes
> > included the boot order (CD, HDD etc), and at one stage I disabled all the
> > HDD trying to boot only from CD.

> > as it stalls at different places, and I had previously got up to creating
> > user profile?
> >
> > So prior to launching the computer through the window…does anyone have any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Pentium 4 3.0G, 1.2G RAM, nVidia 7600GT, 2xSATA HDD, Gigabyte MOBO…at work
> > atm can’t remember model

Computer_Rage

Re: Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?
ALL I CAN SAY IS STICK WITH IT!!!!! I tried nothing different, changed no
hardware/no drivers, just 3 DAYS of perseverence. Sometimes it crashed before
reaching the Choose Language screen, sometimes whilst creating a User....just
keep going. It finally worked, buggered if I know why.

Apparently computers work on 1's nd 0's....logic and all that stuff. Seems
to be a lot of 0.5's in all that.

"Computer_Rage" wrote:

> Hi, the version is x86 I think. It's an OEM version.
>
> Also the MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-8I915P-G. The SATA drive was brand new on
> initial installation.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Computer_Rage.
> >
> > Please tell us if your Vista Home Premium is x86 or x64, and if it is a full
> > retail package, the update version or an OEM version. It might not matter,
> > but then, it might.
> >
> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX
> > rc@grandecom.net
> > Microsoft Windows MVP
> > (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
> >
> > "Computer_Rage" <Computer_Rage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,.
> > >
> > > After a few software issues I decided to reinstall Vista. Thinking that
> > > this
> > > was previously the easiest OS I had ever installed I thought I’d just
> > > start
> > > from scratch. I booted up XP Pro off a secondary HDD, and formatted the
> > > entire HDD that Vista was on (NTFS).
> > >
> > > Now ready for the reinstall, I unplugged the XP drive, changed the BIOS to
> > > load from CD and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately the installation of
> > > Vista
> > > Home Premium on the completely formatted HDD stalls. I have tried at least
> > > 8
> > > times and it hangs at different places. The closest I got was creating a
> > > user
> > > profile before it stopped.
> > >
> > > Vista was previously installed with no problems at all and was running
> > > fine
> > > for a few months. I didn’t have to provide drivers, it just worked fine
> > > the
> > > first time. I have not changed any hardware since then, and only changed a
> > > few setting in BIOS whilst trying to sort out a Zonealarm problem. Changes
> > > included the boot order (CD, HDD etc), and at one stage I disabled all the
> > > HDD trying to boot only from CD.

> > > as it stalls at different places, and I had previously got up to creating
> > > user profile?
> > >
> > > So prior to launching the computer through the window…does anyone have any
> > > suggestions?
> > >
> > > Pentium 4 3.0G, 1.2G RAM, nVidia 7600GT, 2xSATA HDD, Gigabyte MOBO…at work
> > > atm can’t remember model

John Barnes

Re: Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?
Delete the partition and create the new partition and format (quick) using
the Vista DVD when you get to that point. There is a difference in the NTFS
format between Vista and XP.

"Computer_Rage" <Computer_Rage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,.
>
> After a few software issues I decided to reinstall Vista. Thinking that
> this
> was previously the easiest OS I had ever installed I thought I’d just
> start
> from scratch. I booted up XP Pro off a secondary HDD, and formatted the
> entire HDD that Vista was on (NTFS).
>
> Now ready for the reinstall, I unplugged the XP drive, changed the BIOS to
> load from CD and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately the installation of
> Vista
> Home Premium on the completely formatted HDD stalls. I have tried at least
> 8
> times and it hangs at different places. The closest I got was creating a
> user
> profile before it stopped.
>
> Vista was previously installed with no problems at all and was running
> fine
> for a few months. I didn’t have to provide drivers, it just worked fine
> the
> first time. I have not changed any hardware since then, and only changed a
> few setting in BIOS whilst trying to sort out a Zonealarm problem. Changes
> included the boot order (CD, HDD etc), and at one stage I disabled all the
> HDD trying to boot only from CD.

> as it stalls at different places, and I had previously got up to creating
> user profile?
>
> So prior to launching the computer through the window…does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Pentium 4 3.0G, 1.2G RAM, nVidia 7600GT, 2xSATA HDD, Gigabyte MOBO…at work
> atm can’t remember model

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Vista Reinstall Hangs - SATA?
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:13:01 -0700, Computer_Rage

>Apparently computers work on 1's nd 0's....logic and all that stuff. Seems
>to be a lot of 0.5's in all that.

Ah, "digital systems are made from analog parts", hence today's analog
approx-0.5v "0" is tomorrow's approx-0.5v "1" :-)

IOW, patternless stuff that makes no sense via digital logic may imply
the digital layer of abstraction has been eroded by analog issues.

Trsut me, I won't make a mistake!