Can not access XP files in Vista

Gordon

Can not access XP files in Vista
I upgraded to Vista business from XP pro. Did not go well so did clean
install. Before all this I backed up everything important to D: drive my
internal storage disk. After Vista was installed I tried to access my files
on D: only to find I did not have permission to access them. Changed Vista
loggin to be the "Real" administrator, disabled UAC, took ownership of all
files in D: drive. Still not accessable. Seems like an encryption problem
maybe. Any ideas. Thanks
IscaComps

RE: Can not access XP files in Vista
Hi Gordon

Have a look at disk management:
Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management

Just check to see if this the drive is being properly recognised, i have had
quite few external hard drive/additional storage devices that are appearing
as Foriegn Disks and have to enable/import them before being to access to the
files.

Scott

"Gordon" wrote:

> I upgraded to Vista business from XP pro. Did not go well so did clean
> install. Before all this I backed up everything important to D: drive my
> internal storage disk. After Vista was installed I tried to access my files
> on D: only to find I did not have permission to access them. Changed Vista
> loggin to be the "Real" administrator, disabled UAC, took ownership of all
> files in D: drive. Still not accessable. Seems like an encryption problem
> maybe. Any ideas. Thanks

Gordon

"IscaComps" wrote:

> Hi Gordon
>
> Have a look at disk management:
> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management
>
> Just check to see if this the drive is being properly recognised, i have had
> quite few external hard drive/additional storage devices that are appearing
> as Foriegn Disks and have to enable/import them before being to access to the
> files.
>
> Scott

I have checked the files in my D: drive. Yes they are encrypted with my old
XP user. They will open only with this user. Which now does not exist. Even
with full administrator rights in Vista I can not add myself as a user to the
certificate list for each file. I need permission from the original XP
administrator. Encryption removal software will not budge it either. So I
figure I am screwed once again by Microsoft. Tried the rollback to XP through
command box and at the end the user account would not move. Access denied was
the message. The computer would not boot into anything after that. But did
show Vista and XP as boot options. Tried repairing the boot up. No go so
wiped the drive clean did reinstall. Have a computer but no files can only
stare at the 18GB of files on D:. Tried access to these files from my wifes
XP box but same problem access denied you do not have permission to view this
file. Sounds like the commercial.

Gordon
IscaComps

RE: Can not access XP files in Vista
Ok, lets try this one:

Right click on the drive you are trying access goto Properties.
Click on the security tab and then click on Advanced.
Click the tab for 'Owner', if your current Vista account appears in the box
below, select the user name and then click Apply.
Click on the Permissions tab in the same window, then 'Edit' - add your user
name to the list of permitted users/groups if it is not already there.
Select the your name in the list then click Edit, adjust the permissions as
you require, normally Full Control, click OK.
Ensure there is a tick in 'Replace all existing inheritable
permissions.....etc' box.
Click Apply, OK, OK, OK.

If that doesn't work, then the only other thing I can think is to use some
Data Recovery software, do a quick scan, recover the documents and then
reformat your drive.

The only problem I have with some data recovery software is that they
haven't got permission to recover deleted items on Vista, even with
Administrator rights, so try it on a XP machine.

Good luck.
Scott

"Gordon" wrote:

> "IscaComps" wrote:
>
> > Hi Gordon
> >
> > Have a look at disk management:
> > Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management
> >
> > Just check to see if this the drive is being properly recognised, i have had
> > quite few external hard drive/additional storage devices that are appearing
> > as Foriegn Disks and have to enable/import them before being to access to the
> > files.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> I have checked the files in my D: drive. Yes they are encrypted with my old
> XP user. They will open only with this user. Which now does not exist. Even
> with full administrator rights in Vista I can not add myself as a user to the
> certificate list for each file. I need permission from the original XP
> administrator. Encryption removal software will not budge it either. So I
> figure I am screwed once again by Microsoft. Tried the rollback to XP through
> command box and at the end the user account would not move. Access denied was
> the message. The computer would not boot into anything after that. But did
> show Vista and XP as boot options. Tried repairing the boot up. No go so
> wiped the drive clean did reinstall. Have a computer but no files can only
> stare at the 18GB of files on D:. Tried access to these files from my wifes
> XP box but same problem access denied you do not have permission to view this
> file. Sounds like the commercial.
>
> Gordon

techpro

Re: Can not access XP files in Vista
On Jun 24, 9:13 pm, IscaComps <IscaCo...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> The only problem I have with some data recovery software is that they
> haven't got permission torecoverdeleteditems on Vista, even with
> Administrator rights, so try it on a XP machine.

This shouldn't be a problem with Partition Recovery from www.diskinternals.co.uk
.. You can access the drive to be recovered at the drive or volume
level, so it ignores security rights. You can even create an image of
the drive you want to recover from, and then do the recovery using a
different PC.

Site.Suggestion@gmail.com

Re: Can not access XP files in Vista
To recover the data from inaccessible hard drive you can try Stellar
Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software. Stellar phoenix supports
Windows Vista. Stellar Phoenix is a file and partition recovery
utility which helps in recovering lost data from formated hard drive
or data lost occur due to software malfunction, file/ directory
deletion or even sabotage.
Download the demo version of the software: http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
scan your hard drive and see the preview. if the scan result shows you
the recovered data then to save your recovered file get the full
version.

Gordon

"IscaComps" wrote:

> Ok, lets try this one:
>
> Right click on the drive you are trying access goto Properties.
> Click on the security tab and then click on Advanced.
> Click the tab for 'Owner', if your current Vista account appears in the box
> below, select the user name and then click Apply.
> Click on the Permissions tab in the same window, then 'Edit' - add your user
> name to the list of permitted users/groups if it is not already there.
> Select the your name in the list then click Edit, adjust the permissions as
> you require, normally Full Control, click OK.
> Ensure there is a tick in 'Replace all existing inheritable
> permissions.....etc' box.
> Click Apply, OK, OK, OK.
>
> If that doesn't work, then the only other thing I can think is to use some
> Data Recovery software, do a quick scan, recover the documents and then
> reformat your drive.
>
> The only problem I have with some data recovery software is that they
> haven't got permission to recover deleted items on Vista, even with
> Administrator rights, so try it on a XP machine.
>
> Good luck.
> Scott
>

> "Gordon" wrote:
>

> > "IscaComps" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Gordon
> > >
> > > Have a look at disk management:
> > > Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management
> > >
> > > Just check to see if this the drive is being properly recognised, i have had
> > > quite few external hard drive/additional storage devices that are appearing
> > > as Foriegn Disks and have to enable/import them before being to access to the
> > > files.
> > >
> > > Scott
> > >

> > I have checked the files in my D: drive. Yes they are encrypted with my old
> > XP user. They will open only with this user. Which now does not exist. Even
> > with full administrator rights in Vista I can not add myself as a user to the
> > certificate list for each file. I need permission from the original XP
> > administrator. Encryption removal software will not budge it either. So I
> > figure I am screwed once again by Microsoft. Tried the rollback to XP through
> > command box and at the end the user account would not move. Access denied was
> > the message. The computer would not boot into anything after that. But did
> > show Vista and XP as boot options. Tried repairing the boot up. No go so
> > wiped the drive clean did reinstall. Have a computer but no files can only
> > stare at the 18GB of files on D:. Tried access to these files from my wifes
> > XP box but same problem access denied you do not have permission to view this
> > file. Sounds like the commercial.
> >
> > Gordon

Thanks for the help. The hard drive is not a problem. Yes I have done all
the permissions for the drive. The problem is file encryption from XP pro. By
default it encrypted all my saved files. They are in green font on the drive.
Without the key from the the XP account they were saved by they can not be
accessed. All data is there so no need to recover anything. I did try and
delete a couple of files and recover them to my desktop but they still are
encrypted. Also checked the partition recovery software. It shows the files
as being encrypted also. Need to recover the key which is next to impossible.
Gordon
Gordon

RE: Can not access XP files in Vista
Just a footnote. When my kids are old enough to play on a computer they will
be learning on a Mac.
Natéag

Re: Can not access XP files in Vista
And when they need some essential software that does not exist for the Mac,
they will learn how to use Windows (or Linux, etc).