Basic Upgrade Question

JJ

Basic Upgrade Question
If I buy Vista (Business) 'updgrade' (I have XP Pro) am I able to keep my XP
Pro on my pc and install the upgrade on another hard disk on the same PC?

i.e. I don't wish to run the XP and Vista at the same time, but I do wish to
keep my XP on the machine in case of compatibility problems with Vista, and
switch between the two when I need to (dual boot) .

I wasn't sure if the 'upgrade' software is required to detect and overwrite
the XP install, or if it just requires that you supply an XP install disk
during install?

If the former (or if installing the upgrade somehow 'deactivates' the XP
Pro) then I'll have to pay more for the 'full' version.

Thanks in advance,

JJ

Bob J

RE: Basic Upgrade Question
Vista Upgrade is as stated - it is used to upgrade an existing OS.
To have a dual boot OS you will require a full install version of Vista
--
Regards
Bob J

"JJ" wrote:

> If I buy Vista (Business) 'updgrade' (I have XP Pro) am I able to keep my XP
> Pro on my pc and install the upgrade on another hard disk on the same PC?
>
> i.e. I don't wish to run the XP and Vista at the same time, but I do wish to
> keep my XP on the machine in case of compatibility problems with Vista, and
> switch between the two when I need to (dual boot) .
>
> I wasn't sure if the 'upgrade' software is required to detect and overwrite
> the XP install, or if it just requires that you supply an XP install disk
> during install?
>
> If the former (or if installing the upgrade somehow 'deactivates' the XP
> Pro) then I'll have to pay more for the 'full' version.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> JJ

Rick Rogers

Re: Basic Upgrade Question
Hi JJ,

You should purchase a full version to create a dual boot to keep in
accordance with the license agreement. An upgrade license subsumes the
existing one for XP to create the Vista license, meaning you can use only
Vista once the upgrade is complete. The upgrade is cheaper because its use
is validated by the inclusion of your existing XP license. To use both in a
dual boot would require a full license for each, though in a technical sense
there are workarounds.

The upgrade disk differs from previous Windows upgrades in that it must be
started within the existing, running XP or 2000 install in order to enter
the Product Key and proceed. You cannot simply boot from it and "show" it an
XP disk as a qualifier for upgrade.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JJ" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
> If I buy Vista (Business) 'updgrade' (I have XP Pro) am I able to keep my
> XP Pro on my pc and install the upgrade on another hard disk on the same
> PC?
>
> i.e. I don't wish to run the XP and Vista at the same time, but I do wish
> to keep my XP on the machine in case of compatibility problems with Vista,
> and switch between the two when I need to (dual boot) .
>
> I wasn't sure if the 'upgrade' software is required to detect and
> overwrite the XP install, or if it just requires that you supply an XP
> install disk during install?
>
> If the former (or if installing the upgrade somehow 'deactivates' the XP
> Pro) then I'll have to pay more for the 'full' version.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> JJ

JJ

Re: Basic Upgrade Question
My XP pro is OEM. If I find that I don't like Vista, am I able to reinstall
my XP Pro - i.e will it still be activated (or will I be able to activate it
if necessary), or does the upgrade path render my XP Pro permanently
useless?

Thanks,
JJ

> Hi JJ,
>
> You should purchase a full version to create a dual boot to keep in
> accordance with the license agreement. An upgrade license subsumes the
> existing one for XP to create the Vista license, meaning you can use only
> Vista once the upgrade is complete. The upgrade is cheaper because its use
> is validated by the inclusion of your existing XP license. To use both in
> a dual boot would require a full license for each, though in a technical
> sense there are workarounds.
>
> The upgrade disk differs from previous Windows upgrades in that it must be
> started within the existing, running XP or 2000 install in order to enter
> the Product Key and proceed. You cannot simply boot from it and "show" it
> an XP disk as a qualifier for upgrade.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "JJ" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> If I buy Vista (Business) 'updgrade' (I have XP Pro) am I able to keep my
>> XP Pro on my pc and install the upgrade on another hard disk on the same
>> PC?
>>
>> i.e. I don't wish to run the XP and Vista at the same time, but I do wish
>> to keep my XP on the machine in case of compatibility problems with
>> Vista, and switch between the two when I need to (dual boot) .
>>
>> I wasn't sure if the 'upgrade' software is required to detect and
>> overwrite the XP install, or if it just requires that you supply an XP
>> install disk during install?
>>
>> If the former (or if installing the upgrade somehow 'deactivates' the XP
>> Pro) then I'll have to pay more for the 'full' version.
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> JJ

Rick Rogers

Re: Basic Upgrade Question
Hi,

No JJ, it's not permanently deactivated. You can indeed reinstall XP Pro and
reactivate it if you don't like what Vista does for your system. I suggest
that you consider using an imaging program like Acronis or Image for Windows
to save your existing installation "as is" so that you can simply go back to
where you started if it doesn't work out.

--

> My XP pro is OEM. If I find that I don't like Vista, am I able to
> reinstall my XP Pro - i.e will it still be activated (or will I be able to
> activate it if necessary), or does the upgrade path render my XP Pro
> permanently useless?
>
> Thanks,
> JJ

>> Hi JJ,
>>
>> You should purchase a full version to create a dual boot to keep in
>> accordance with the license agreement. An upgrade license subsumes the
>> existing one for XP to create the Vista license, meaning you can use only
>> Vista once the upgrade is complete. The upgrade is cheaper because its
>> use is validated by the inclusion of your existing XP license. To use
>> both in a dual boot would require a full license for each, though in a
>> technical sense there are workarounds.
>>
>> The upgrade disk differs from previous Windows upgrades in that it must
>> be started within the existing, running XP or 2000 install in order to
>> enter the Product Key and proceed. You cannot simply boot from it and
>> "show" it an XP disk as a qualifier for upgrade.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "JJ" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>>> If I buy Vista (Business) 'updgrade' (I have XP Pro) am I able to keep
>>> my XP Pro on my pc and install the upgrade on another hard disk on the
>>> same PC?
>>>
>>> i.e. I don't wish to run the XP and Vista at the same time, but I do
>>> wish to keep my XP on the machine in case of compatibility problems with
>>> Vista, and switch between the two when I need to (dual boot) .
>>>
>>> I wasn't sure if the 'upgrade' software is required to detect and
>>> overwrite the XP install, or if it just requires that you supply an XP
>>> install disk during install?
>>>
>>> If the former (or if installing the upgrade somehow 'deactivates' the XP
>>> Pro) then I'll have to pay more for the 'full' version.
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> JJ

James Matthews

Re: Basic Upgrade Question
Yes but it will break all your shortcuts!

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=39