Boot / system partitions

Lmiller

Boot / system partitions
I have a couple of odd problems:

I took an existing XP computer and Installed Vista Home Premium. The C:
drive for the XP install was on a small disk so I added a new disk to install
Vista on. I made sure the BIOS was set to boot from the larger disk when I
performed the install. After the install and I moved everything off of the
smaller disk I wanted to keep and removed the disk. The systme would not
boot because the "boot partition" was not available. I replaced to hard
drive and everything booted fine. The Windows folder is on the C: drive
(Larger drive).

Problem #1....Can I combine the Boot and System without a re-install?

Next. I cannot boot the computer without the install (Vista) CD in the CD
ROM drive. When I remove it, I get the Boot loader not found error.

Problem #2....How do I get the PC to boot without the CD?

Thanks

LMiller
peter

Re: Boot / system partitions
When you boot with the Vista CD there should be a Repair...........System
Recovery option.......startup repair
peter
"Lmiller" <Lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a couple of odd problems:
>
> I took an existing XP computer and Installed Vista Home Premium. The C:
> drive for the XP install was on a small disk so I added a new disk to
> install
> Vista on. I made sure the BIOS was set to boot from the larger disk when
> performed the install. After the install and I moved everything off of
> the
> smaller disk I wanted to keep and removed the disk. The systme would not
> boot because the "boot partition" was not available. I replaced to hard
> drive and everything booted fine. The Windows folder is on the C: drive
> (Larger drive).
>
> Problem #1....Can I combine the Boot and System without a re-install?
>
> Next. I cannot boot the computer without the install (Vista) CD in the CD
> ROM drive. When I remove it, I get the Boot loader not found error.
>
> Problem #2....How do I get the PC to boot without the CD?
>

> Thanks
>
> LMiller

andy

Re: Boot / system partitions
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:12:01 -0700, Lmiller
<Lmiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a couple of odd problems:
>
>I took an existing XP computer and Installed Vista Home Premium. The C:
>drive for the XP install was on a small disk so I added a new disk to install
>Vista on. I made sure the BIOS was set to boot from the larger disk when I
>performed the install. After the install and I moved everything off of the
>smaller disk I wanted to keep and removed the disk. The systme would not
>boot because the "boot partition" was not available. I replaced to hard
>drive and everything booted fine. The Windows folder is on the C: drive
>(Larger drive).
>
>Problem #1....Can I combine the Boot and System without a re-install?
>
>Next. I cannot boot the computer without the install (Vista) CD in the CD
>ROM drive. When I remove it, I get the Boot loader not found error.
>
>Problem #2....How do I get the PC to boot without the CD?

Set the BIOS to boot from the small disk.

>Thanks
>
>LMiller

John Barnes

Re: Boot / system partitions
Make sure that your new drive (partition) is set 'active'. With the new
drive set first in HD priority, you can boot from the DVD and do a start-up
repair if necessary.