Installation Disk:

j-max

Installation Disk:
I recently bought a laptop and it has no installation disk included for
Vista. Yes, I've backed everything up, but would still like to have an
installation disk -- as I prefer a clean install once every 18 months or so.

Is this something microsoft will provide at a cheap cost?
LS \(V\)

Re: Installation Disk:
Microsoft doesn't provide anything "Cheap".....................

"j-max" <jmax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a laptop and it has no installation disk included for
> Vista. Yes, I've backed everything up, but would still like to have an
> installation disk -- as I prefer a clean install once every 18 months or
> so.
>
> Is this something microsoft will provide at a cheap cost?

Tim

Re: Installation Disk:
That is a question you will need to ask the laptop vendor. They are all a
little different. You *can* buy a disk from Microsoft but it would not be at
a reduced cost. It's possible the laptop has a utility to create your own
install disks from a hidden restore partition. Either read your
documentation, check the vendor's web site, or give them a call. Or post
your laptop's make/model and someone who has experience with it can post
additional information.

Tim

"j-max" <jmax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a laptop and it has no installation disk included for
> Vista. Yes, I've backed everything up, but would still like to have an
> installation disk -- as I prefer a clean install once every 18 months or
> so.
>
> Is this something microsoft will provide at a cheap cost?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Installation Disk:
No, the only possible cheap source is from the laptop manufacturer.
Contact them.
Since it is OEM, the options Microsoft have would cost you full price.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"j-max" <jmax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a laptop and it has no installation disk included
>for
> Vista. Yes, I've backed everything up, but would still like to have
> an
> installation disk -- as I prefer a clean install once every 18
> months or so.
>
> Is this something microsoft will provide at a cheap cost?

Lmiller

RE: Installation Disk:
Instalation disks for LapTops should be available from the LapTop
manufacurer. For instance if it is a Dell LapTop, you should Contact Dell
for the install / rebuild CD. Most (if not ALL) LapTops will have specific
drivers and applications that are required for the LapTop to work properly
even during the initicial install (like drive controler drivers) so they
build CDs with all this stuff on it to make it "easier".

Sometimes you have to pay a few dollars for the install CD (I think HP
charges $15 for install CDs).

**This is under the assumption that your LapTop was originaly purchansed
with Vista. If it has XP on it when you bought it you will have to buy a
copy of Vista and install it yourself (check with the LapTop manufacturer for
compatability).

"j-max" wrote:

> I recently bought a laptop and it has no installation disk included for
> Vista. Yes, I've backed everything up, but would still like to have an
> installation disk -- as I prefer a clean install once every 18 months or so.
>
> Is this something microsoft will provide at a cheap cost?

j-max

RE: Installation Disk:
Thanks for the info. I contacted HP and you're right, it was about $15 to
order a set. I appreciate your help.