Win XP/Vista dual boot reinstallation.

Max

Win XP/Vista dual boot reinstallation.
have a windows xp / windows vista dual boot setup. The Vista edition is Home
Premium. Now this is my work laptop and we have purchased Vista Business at
work. I was thinking of a way to upgrade Home Premium to Business. Is this
possible. Any time upgrade only allows to go to Ultimate. I was thinking of
doing a reinstall, but how do i go about doing this ?

I have two partitions, C: for XP and D: for Vista.

Will the following steps work ?

a. Boot into XP.

b. Format D: (now this kills the Home Premium Vista installed on D: and
possibly the MBR and dual boot loader etc, etc, I dont care about this right
now).

c. Pop in the Vista disc and do a clean install of Vista Business edition in
D:

d. Should this allow me to dual boot into XP and Vista Business ?

TIA

...winston

Re: Win XP/Vista dual boot reinstallation.
For your method..
a. Boot into XP
Remove the Vista boot loader with VistaBootPro or EasyBCD installed in XP.
Restart and test, if it doesn't boot, restart with XP Cd and run a repair XP install to fix the mbr or if you've XPSp2 use the Recovery console and the fixmbr command http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
b. Use XP's DiskManagment to delete the D partition leaving unallocated space
c. Vista will properly format the drive during the install to the unallocated space(select Custom install in Vista and ensure you choose unallocated space)
d. Yes.
e. Rerun VistaBoot Pro or EasyBCD and backup the bootloader files, choose a default o/s to boot, set timeout for dual boot menu, and names of each o/s

..winston

"Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B6FE66-3DF2-4B27-B9D0-47C22EBFEEC8@microsoft.com...
: have a windows xp / windows vista dual boot setup. The Vista edition is Home
: Premium. Now this is my work laptop and we have purchased Vista Business at
: work. I was thinking of a way to upgrade Home Premium to Business. Is this
: possible. Any time upgrade only allows to go to Ultimate. I was thinking of
: doing a reinstall, but how do i go about doing this ?
:
:
:
[...]
Chad Harris

Re: Win XP/Vista dual boot reinstallation.
Hi Max--

When you say at work is it possible that your workplace has purchased
multiple copies of Vista using a volume license agreement as many
"companies" do because then what you have at work would be bound by that
agreement.

Upgrade Options:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../overview.mspx

There is probably also a way that is not supported by MSFT and not "legal"
to go from Home Premium to business
but I'm not completely sure if this will do what you want to do in addition
to wondering when you say "we have purchased Vista Business at work" what
the terms of the license are--i.e. if you bought some single copies or you
purchased it as part of a Volume License agreement.

Workaround Install Procedure
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/bla...all-procedure/

http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/p...rticleID=95011

Volume Licensing