20gb Drive only has 5.90gb space after clean vista install

Tigga

20gb Drive only has 5.90gb space after clean vista install
After doing a clean install of vista ultimate on a 20 gb hdd, i'm only
showing 5.90gb of free space, surely the os cant be 14gb, has anyone got any
ideas how to free up some space so that i can install a couple of games or
programs, or why it takes that much room? is it a bug? From what i've seen,
vista is really good, apart from the space problem, though if vista takes up
that much room, i think i'll have to go back to windows 2000
...winston

Re: 20gb Drive only has 5.90gb space after clean vista install
Vista version ??
Vista applications enabled ?
..winston

"Tigga" <Tigga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F791462-D73A-414E-82C6-EA046150139F@microsoft.com...
: After doing a clean install of vista ultimate on a 20 gb hdd, i'm only
: showing 5.90gb of free space, surely the os cant be 14gb, has anyone got any
: ideas how to free up some space so that i can install a couple of games or
: programs, or why it takes that much room? is it a bug? From what i've seen,
: vista is really good, apart from the space problem, though if vista takes up
: that much room, i think i'll have to go back to windows 2000
Rick Rogers

Re: 20gb Drive only has 5.90gb space after clean vista install
Hi,

That's pretty much average for a Vista install, especially when you factor
in space requirements for System Restore, paging, and hibernation. It's
designed for modern systems, and these typically come with hard drives
>100GB so space would not be an issue. 20GB is ok if it's a system partition

only, but as you've seen you will quickly run out of space if it's the only
volume.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tigga" <Tigga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After doing a clean install of vista ultimate on a 20 gb hdd, i'm only
> showing 5.90gb of free space, surely the os cant be 14gb, has anyone got
> any
> ideas how to free up some space so that i can install a couple of games or
> programs, or why it takes that much room? is it a bug? From what i've
> seen,
> vista is really good, apart from the space problem, though if vista takes
> up
> that much room, i think i'll have to go back to windows 2000

Tigga

Re: 20gb Drive only has 5.90gb space after clean vista install
thanks, looks like i'll have to save up a bit to get a bigger drive,
Vista 6.0 btw